The Book of the Law Study Group 2.22

Grigori

Aiwass said:
22. I am the Snake that giveth Knowledge & Delight and bright glory, and stir the hearts of men with drunkenness. To worship me take wine and strange drugs whereof I will tell my prophet, & be drunk thereof! They shall not harm ye at all. It is a lie, this folly against self. The exposure of innocence is a lie. Be strong, o man! lust, enjoy all things of sense and rapture: fear not that any God shall deny thee for this.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/oto/index.htm
http://hermetic.com/crowley/index.html
http://lib.oto-usa.org/libri/liber0220.html

Other threads in this study group

Always Wondering

Well it seems like a correction to the Garden of Eden story.

And in another way explains how I stayed drunk of a pair of eyes for two years. :laugh: Strange drug indeed.

And it seems to refrence Kundalinii.

This verese seems strange to me. A lot blurted out all at once.

AW

Aeon418

Always Wondering said:
And it seems to refrence Kundalinii.
I agree. This verse is the point where Hadit begins to identify himself with Kundalini, the Serpent force. He then goes on to suggest ways to raise this force that are practically Dionysian in nature. But it has nearly always been the case that the most effective means of worship have been those that enflame the worshipper and carry them out of themselves. This is divine madness, divine intoxication and inspiration. It's certainly a million miles away from the average sunday service in church. :laugh:
(Although many Christian revivalist meetings show that they undertand how it works. Just watch them whip their congregations up into a frenzy. ;))

I always get the sense that this verse is Hadit screaming, "Let me out!". Our everyday rational dullness imprisons the creative fire within the Tower of the little self. Here Hadit urges us to break down the walls. He doesn't care how it is done, as long as he can be released and allowed to flow through us.

Yygdrasilian

222.49º

20=2

The obvious interpretation would be an endorsement of hedonism, inviting the reader to join the guiltless pursuit of sensual gratification; yet this serpentine drunkenness is stirred in the heart, implying that “wine and strange drugs” here mentioned are found elsewhere: by the uncoiling of a ‘Snake’ which gives דעת ofLight.

11=2

Which is not to suggest an ascetic path either. We presume the world is to be enjoyed.
However, our ‘folly against self’ conceals One within the conditioning of material existence. ‘Exposure’ is a lie inasmuch as the means by which Truth is hidden is itself spurious.

II = 2

Aeon418

Yygdrasilian said:
The obvious interpretation would be an endorsement of hedonism, inviting the reader to join the guiltless pursuit of sensual gratification;
It's not obvious me. Hedonism for it's own sake isn't worship of Hadit.

Aeon418

This quote from Motta's commentary is interesting when you think about the current social problems caused by binge drinking and anti-social behaviour.
Some technical aspects of the verse had better be touched upon. First, note that to worship Hadit one is to take 'wine and strange drugs'. This is because you ARE Hadit; alcohol and such drugs temporarily release your inhibitions, your complexes and the brainwashing you have been subjected to since your birth in a slave-culture, and let your True Self come to the surface of your consciousness. If the coming is violent or 'anti-social', this is not caused by the drugs or the alcohol. They are not 'evil' or 'corrupting'. They merely liberate. Remember the Djin in the fisherman's bottle of the Thousand and One Nights. During the first thousand years of his imprisonment he vowed that he would make rich the man who freed him. In the second thousand years confinement had made him so angry that he vowed he would kill that man. Violence and 'anti-social' behavior may appear when alcohol or drugs are used. Such symptoms simply mean that your True Self has been violently repressed for too long. They do not mean that your True Self is 'evil'. They indicate a need for a complete change of environment and moral code, a search for circumstances that will make easier your self-expression. You must heed carefully the warning and, if you are not a fool, you will bless the drugs that afforded you such an insight into your state of spiritual servitude to false (false to you!) idols and ideals.

Curtis Penfold

I wrote an essay called "The Ancient Dark Gods of Moshpits and Voodoo Rituals."

This sounds pretty similar. In Ancient Greece, those who worshipped Dionysus has these crazy rituals where they would put a bull in the middle of a dancing frenzy with loud music playing. They would then commence to tear the bull apart with their teeth, arms, anything on their bodies.

That doesn't sound so dissimilar to the dancing so that the Ioa would enter the body in Voodoo, or the pushing and shoving of moshpits with heavy metal. (There are even animal sacrifices at times).

I tried to defend that moshpits were primitive (yet fairly non-dangerous) ways to express violent internal feelings.

---------------------------------------

I'm against drug usage, though. I fail to see how it could help a person's spirituality. So losing your inhibition makes you aware of yourself? Alright. But what about addiction?

Aeon418

Curtis Penfold said:
I'm against drug usage, though.
Yes, you've already mentioned that you're a Mormon. Section 89 of The
Doctrine and Covenants warns Mormons against consuming drugs, tobacco, alcohol, and hot drinks.
Curtis Penfold said:
I fail to see how it could help a person's spirituality.
Really? Try sitting in asana for about 20 minutes and feel the endorphin rush. You might like it. You may find it's very conducive to your spirituality. ;)
Curtis Penfold said:
So losing your inhibition makes you aware of yourself?
In some circumstances. Often it's difficult to know what is going on inside when you're "shut up" within your self created walls.
Curtis Penfold said:
Alright. But what about addiction?
What's the motivation behind an addict's craving? Is is a desire to worship Hadit? Or just a need for another fix?

Some people try to justify casual drug use in this way? But do they stop and question their motivations? Do what thou wilt? Or Do what you want?

Always Wondering

Aeon418 said:
Really? Try sitting in asana for about 20 minutes and feel the endorphin rush. You might like it. You may find it's very conducive to your spirituality. ;)

This is a relief to hear. I struggle with this. Not that I am even able to stay in asana for twenty minutes. I have what is medically termed panic disorder, so I have seen any endorphin rush as related to disorder. Interesting that this "disorder" cropped up after several years of strict sobriety.

I realize this will sound vague and intuitive, (so don't ask me for a reference Kat :laugh:) but I don't think I have ever given Hadit a chance. I just keep knocking his energy down with resistance and denial where ever and how ever it springs up.

AW

Aeon418

Always Wondering said:
This is a relief to hear. I struggle with this. Not that I am even able to stay in asana for twenty minutes.
The twenty minute thing was just an approximation. Depending on stress levels in can take much longer. But that's why an asana has to be practiced.