Double Current 93/696 - Aeon of Maat

thorhammer

I listened to a podcast today that featured an interview with the charter members of the Horus Maat Lodge (HML hereafter), wherein these two people asserted that since 1974, the Aeon of Maat has been running "concurrently" with the Aeon of Horus, supposedly balancing his force and fire (the word "tantrum" was used ;)) with feminine energy.

The Lodge is a primarily cyber-based group, with hundreds of members worldwide, meeting monthly in an astral Lodge on the Moon.

I wondered who among our illustrious magickal company here has had dealings with or knowledge of this Lodge? I was curious because of the closeness to Thelema; indeed, it seems they assert that it's almost the next stage of Thelema. But on the other hand, it all felt a bit . . . new-agey to me. (Forgive the term, we all know by now what I mean.) There was a definite tone of "Can I get an AMEN!!!" :D and the name of the woman interviewed is an anagrame of "Amen". She seems to be the prophet, or as close as they come to such.

Discuss :)

\m/ Kat

Grigori

I also have listened to a podcast in which a the Aeon of Maat was being discussed. Perhaps it was the same one. The primary argument seemed to be that since we still see vestiges of the Aeon of Isis, in addition to the still strong Aeon of Osiris, this is evidence that all Aeon's are concurrent and so all are valid, and so this group have chosen to come up with the details of the Maat Aeon. To me it seemed like a loophole so they could come up with their own version of the Thelema and gloss over the ugly bits.

Crowley does say the next Aeon will be Maat's though he thinks its some thousands of years away. Though I think in context he was equating an aeon with an astrological age, which is an idea he rejected elsewhere.

thorhammer

My own personal feeling on Aeons, totally unsubstatiated by anything at all outside my own head :D is that they're meant to be longer . . . and the idea that two could run concurrently is just . . . odd. Muddying the waters, sort of.

The podcast was from Occult of Personality - dunno if I'm allowed to say that here, if not just pull it out :)

I don't think they were saying (in this podcast) that all the Aeons were running at the same time, more that this woman, Nema, recieved the Sacred Text (Liber Pennae Praenumbra) in 1974 and since then the brother and sister team of Horus and Ma'at have been playing in the cosmic sandpit :D.

I dunno. Who am I to say it's not valid? How much less valid is this Liber than Liber AL?

I did detect a tiny note of bitterness against "mainstream Thelema" (if there is such a thing! :bugeyed:) and against Crowley. But it was interesting enough that I thought I'd bounce it off my brothers and sisters in here :)

\m/ Kat

Aeon418

Grigori said:
The primary argument seemed to be that since we still see vestiges of the Aeon of Isis, in addition to the still strong Aeon of Osiris, this is evidence that all Aeon's are concurrent and so all are valid, and so this group have chosen to come up with the details of the Maat Aeon. To me it seemed like a loophole so they could come up with their own version of the Thelema and gloss over the ugly bits.
Soror Nema and rest of the crowd seem to have mixed up the idea of magical systems with Aeons. To me the Aeons are developmental stages in human consciousness. Each one represents the establishment of a new baseline of consciousness for humanity as a whole.

Currently the baseline for the average human is Osiris. By this is meant that the Ruach mind, the fully developed intellect, is now the norm for most people on this planet. The next step for humanity is Horus, who represents superconsciousness. By the end of the Aeon of Horus the new baseline consciousness for humanity as a whole will be K&C. Unless I'm mistaken, that's a long way off yet.

How Nema confuses this aeonic development with magical systems is beyond me. For example she claims that Wiccans are working with the Aeon of Isis. Ok, but does that mean Wiccans are sub-human troglodytes, operating on a lower of level of consciousness than the rest of us? (It's probably best not to answer that question. :laugh:)

Here's an interview with Nema on Thelema Coast to Coast no.26: (Starts around the 37min mark) To me she sounds confused.
http://www.thelemacoasttocoast.com/archives/31

My personal opinion. Nema is a bit of a new age flake who didn't like Thelema, so she tried to change it into something she did like. :rolleyes:

Always Wondering

I have my hands full with just one system, thank-you very much.
Though my penchant to dabble is slightly aroused. :laugh:

AW

thorhammer

Aeon418 said:
My personal opinion. Nema is a bit of a new age flake who didn't like Thelema, so she tried to change it into something she did like. :rolleyes:
Yeah, my conclusion is similar. I still don't know the distinction you're making between magical systems and Aeons, but that's okay too :) It's my own deficiency, no need to explain, I'll get there.

I'll probably get to her book one of these days. But not before the extraordinarily large pile of books that are materialising before my eyes. It's rather alarming :bugeyed:

\m/ Kat

Aeon418

thorhammer said:
But not before the extraordinarily large pile of books that are materialising before my eyes. It's rather alarming
Don't be surprised if the "extraordinarily large pile" begins to turn into a small library.

While searching for Nema's book this afternoon I found books I didn't even know I had. That's worrying. :bugeyed: :laugh:

thorhammer

Aeon418 said:
Don't be surprised if the "extraordinarily large pile" begins to turn into a small library.
LOL Oh, it already is! It's just that there is a respectable portion of it that has been read - some of them, as in the case of the Book of Thoth and Duquette's Practical Enochian Magick, more than twice. Maybe I should cut down on the re-reads? :D
While searching for Nema's book this afternoon I found books I didn't even know I had. That's worrying. :bugeyed: :laugh:
Uh. Yep. That is a worry. :D

Can I come stay in your library? :angel:

\m/ Kat

Grigori

Aeon418 said:

I saw a great pic on a blog the other day, or a thelemite's library/temple. On the right hand side was a giant white bookcase, and on the left a giant black bookcase. In the middle, some smaller wooden cases.

So don't think of it as an overblown library, think of it as another stone in the pillars of your temple ;)

The podcast I heard was a different one, but same person was being interviewed.