Double Current 93/696 - Aeon of Maat

nicky

ravenest said:
Yeah, 'cause I haven't encountered it. But while I was writing the above I was thinking there must be a Maat Tarot out there, I wonder what its like? So, not good?

The artwork is beautiful. Truly. The system it is based on is insane.

ravenest

nicky said:
The system it is based on is insane.
Please do tell. I looked at some pics of it, okay I guess but didnt grab me for a Tarot deck. What's its major malfunction?

nicky

In my experience the astrological association with the cards was so very different than any I am comfortable with, it was hard to follow. I am more inclined to understand, if not always follow, the solar decans. I had to spread out her zodiac wheel chart and try and figure out which card went where and would be constantly having to look up where the cards went.. it was not 'logical' to me.

That said, it is a lovely deck and it is clear she spent a lot of time thinking out her own system which this deck follows.

Solandia does a good job of describing the deck:

Unlike a typical linearly-organised tarot deck, these cards are ordered to correspond with lunar cycles, seasonal festivals, and zodiac associations. Thirteen majors relate to the thirteen full moons, eight majors to the cross-quarter days in the Celtic calendar, and the remaining card, the World, is the central card in the cycle. The Aces are linked with the seasons, and the rest of the minor cards, rather than being connected with the 52 weeks of the year, and connecting with the lunar phases. (The book has a pictorial diagram that illustrates the placement of each card in the complex pattern.)

thorhammer

ravenest said:
Please do tell. I looked at some pics of it, okay I guess but didnt grab me for a Tarot deck. What's its major malfunction?
The Majors are basically the same as the Blue Moon Tarot; I have a copy of it, and the book, I can lend you when I send your books back if you want, R. You'll get an idea of the system at least, though without the complication of the Minors (and it's complicated enough with just the Majors!)

\m/ Kat

ravenest

Sure, why not ... thanks TH. And N. firstly I read your des. and thought WTF! But then I got curious. majors relating to moon cycles and festivals ... hmmmmm. I thought she might have made a type of Rosemary Clark neo-Egyptian astro thingo but this looks TOTALLY different.

thorhammer

I loved the idea . . . it's just that it's so NH-centric. It's interesting, though, and I'm sure with your knowledge you'll be able to get more out of it than me.

I should be done with the books by the end of the week, now that I don't have a job any more, so I'll post it all off soon.

\m/ Kat

nicky

ravenest said:
Sure, why not ... thanks TH. And N. firstly I read your des. and thought WTF! But then I got curious. majors relating to moon cycles and festivals ... hmmmmm. I thought she might have made a type of Rosemary Clark neo-Egyptian astro thingo but this looks TOTALLY different.

I will be curious how you like it once Kat gets it to you...