Return of the Thoth to the West

gregory

pasara said:
the large size also is an 80 card deck (3 magus cards)
It doesn't say so. And there are always 2 extras - the OTO card and the Hexagram. It ALWAYS says on the box when there are three - look at the small one. I am SURE it doesn't.

But if you want to risk it - go for it..... I woudn't. As far as I know USG has never done a 3 Magus deck in the large size.

pasara

photokat said:
Are you sure?

The only English large 3 Magus - Thoth I've ever seen was the 1986 Swiss Box by AG Müller ....
Oh, you are right! I went back and looked at the description from the store where I am getting it and realized I had misread it. It is a 78 card deck and the smaller version which they describe as a standard tarot size deck is the 80 card deck.

What do you think, which should I get, folks? I can switch if I want to. I have never had a Thoth deck so need some advice.

cardlady22

My personal preference is that I don't care much about the extra Magus cards. I'm happy to have seen scans of them, but don't want them in a deck. I have a large and a pocket. The large to really be able to look at things, and the pocket to use due to space constraints.

gregory

pasara said:
Oh, you are right! I went back and looked at the description from the store where I am getting it and realized I had misread it. It is a 78 card deck and the smaller version which they describe as a standard tarot size deck is the 80 card deck.

What do you think, which should I get, folks? I can switch if I want to. I have never had a Thoth deck so need some advice.
The large size is MUCH nicer. But if you feel a need for the 3 maguses..... I would go large, always.

Storm82

pasara said:

I would say : buy the bigger size
the artwork is amazing in Thoth (if you buythe bigger cards you can enjoy the art more:)

pasara

thank you everybody! I got a couple by PM too. it was unanimous! and I read this thread just in time as I just got a call that they are in and i can go pick them up! Maybe I'll see some of you in the reading exchange later if I feel brave!

LucyInTheSky

Just got my Thoth!

Yay! I got my Thoth today in the mail. I've been reading tarot for about 4-5 months now and I finally brought myself to get one. I've been eyeing it since the beginning, that's for sure! For anybody who is thinking of ordering, I got mine from The Tarot Garden. I ordered on Monday and received it today. I got the purple box and it has the extra Magus cards. The cardstock is pretty nice, the colors look good. Now I just need to buy a book to go w/ it b/c I am clueless when it comes to this deck lol.

KafkasGhost

Congratulations! :thumbsup:
In lieu of a book for now, you can start here or here just to get a feel for your cards.

Le Fanu

One really needs a Thoth for every eventuality... Go for [size=+2]LARGE[/size] like others have said. But that virtuoso 8-armed Magus with his art-deco curves is a dream. I love the 3 magus version to be able to use this card. I just adore it slightly more than the majorette surfer dude Magus.

Plus the large one trimmed is always a great option.

Then you need a pocket one to complete the set :D

You can never have too many Thoths.