Pierre Madenié Tarot Facsimile is launched

Sherryl

Concerning word "Cates" on Chosson wrapper, of course it means Cartes /Cards.
But we have to go back to this period of time and assume that French language was not yet fully normalized.
I don't think it is a typo but rather the "local" language for Cards/Cartes at this period.
Words was changing also regarding French regions.
I.e L'estoile for L'Etoile /The Star XVII.

Hello Yves,
Thanks for clearing this up. I'm going to make a notation on my review, since I did M. Chosson a disservice by implying that he was lazy and didn't know how to spell :)

Laura Borealis

I received my Madenié today. When I turned back the printed wrapper and saw Le Mat, I actually gasped. It is that beautiful.

The details of the faces are as delicate and fine as I hoped, giving them wonderful expressions. This is a deck inhabited by mild, benevolent, quietly joyful characters. Thank you, Yves, for this. I am grateful to have such a beautiful reproduction of tarot history.

Thank you for the Chosson card, too! The Lovers - a reminder that all in life is choices. :)

Eremita90

Hello Yves! You've created a beautiful site, with an interesting historical gallery. I always like it when I get to compare different decks of the Marseille tradition. I'm really looking forward to buying a copy of the Madenié deck in the near future

Yves Le Marseillais

You are welcome

Hello Yves! You've created a beautiful site, with an interesting historical gallery. I always like it when I get to compare different decks of the Marseille tradition. I'm really looking forward to buying a copy of the Madenié deck in the near future

Hello Eremita,

I wish to enlarge my Gallery to one tenth more decks by end of this year but it's additional work and I am concentrated on next three decks to be published for the moment.
Your future Madenié will be in very good company..

Ciao,

Yves

Le Fanu

Got a second copy to round the corners, heathen that I am.

I'm halfway through and my god it looks good...

Wendywu

Heh- I did that! Used a 2.5mm corner rounder so that the least possible amount is just nipped off, but now I can use it without suffering for the pleasure of reading the cards :D

I don't care if I'm a heathen - I did it to my Noblet too! I wouldn't want very rounded corners but just nipping the pointy ends off makes a huge difference to the way the deck feels in the hand, and considering it's such a small thing it makes a very real visual difference as well.

Yay for the heathens, I say!

Le Fanu

Plus the Madenié is such a well-centred deck, with all images slap bang in the middle that you don't run the risk of nipping any of the inner borders.

It also does something special to the deck, makes it feel chunkier and more compact, less cumbersome in the handling.

(I also have a de-cornered Noblet. I was going to do the Vieville but it would eat into the borders as it isn't as well centred as the Madenié)

Such a lovely deck, lovelier now that it has more ease of use.

delizt

I'm glad to hear that others are "rounding" the edges of these decks..I was hesitant at first, but both the Noblet and the Pierre Madenié are wonderful rounded...gives a new personality to them for me...and so much easier to handle and break in

Barleywine

Just Slow I Guess

OK, it finally dawned on me why anyone would want to round the corners of a deck. (Only took three years of seeing it discussed here on AT :)) Other than my old, uncolored, unlaminated, standard-size BOTA deck, I never bought a deck that didn't have slightly rounded corners. It seemed normal for the publishers to do this for us, so wanting to round them off more was always a "head-scratcher" for me. Apparently some publishers no longer round the corners. But why? Is it for "authenticity" or just to make producing the cards faster and cheaper? Since I don't intend to take the time to do it, that will have to be one of the criteria when I buy new decks, I suppose, since I can see that square-cornered cards would be very difficult to shuffle. But wouldn't cutting off the corners make them vulnerable to de-lamination and fraying if the deck is used a lot?

Bertrand

But why? Is it for "authenticity" or just to make producing the cards faster and cheaper?
authenticity, for a fac-simile it's normal as it was the way old playing cards were made.
Since I don't intend to take the time to do it, that will have to be one of the criteria when I buy new decks, I suppose, since I can see that square-cornered cards would be very difficult to shuffle.
they aren't really more difficult to shuffle, maybe a bit more prone to being damaged on the corners, but nothing special if you take a minimum care of your decks. Your mileage may vary though...
Actually making square corners may even be a more expensive option on a standard size if the producer usually does only rounded corners.

Bertrand