Hierophant?

SerpentaAzothi

Hi, I have noticed the thoth Hierophant has two fingers sticking out, I came to the conclusion that its pointing to the lovers, and Chariot. I also looked in the marseilles deck and that card does too. I was wondering if anyone noticed it? There is a deep meaning to it, as my research has given to me. Anyone comment on this? Thanks,

Serpenta

thinbuddha

I believe that it is a throwback to the older tarot decks- it is a Papal sign of benediction. Crowley wasn't too enamoured with the catholic church, but this symbolism from the church (and perhaps from before the church) survives in his tarot.

-tb

Abrac

If I didn't know better I would say this gesture is a not-so- subtle sexual reference. The Hierophant has a wry smile on his face for some reason. A little Crowlean humor?

Parzival

Hierophant

The direction of the gesture is downward, into the earth, not upraised in benediction. "Live and love in the earth, where you have karma and freedom."

Aeon418

Frank Hall said:
The direction of the gesture is downward, into the earth, not upraised in benediction. "Live and love in the earth, where you have karma and freedom."
You've hit the "nail" right on the head with that one Frank. ;)

The triple circle wand on the hierophant represents the divine trinity of Father, Mother, and Child. This same motif appears on the Ace of Cups symbolic of the reintroduction of the Mother principle into organised religion and worship, after it's suppression during the Aeon of Osiris through it's religous expressions of Christianity, Judaism, and Islam.

The inverted sign of benediction would have been an evil symbol in the old Aeon of Osiris because the Earth was seen as the evil element because it was thought to be the exact opposite of Spirit. In the new Aeon of Horus the Earth is resanctified and recognised as the holy house of Spirit.

Abrac mentions a sexual reference. If you re-sanctify the Earth you also re-sanctify the flesh and thus sex as the supreme act of worship.

thinbuddha

Ahh- thanks for the correction. I should have taken another look at the card before answering. I also should have know that Crowley wouldn't have let a papal benediction through onto a major...

Aeon418

thinbuddha said:
I also should have know that Crowley wouldn't have let a papal benediction through onto a major...
I think that's the perspective you have to take when studying the Thoth Tarot. Crowley's philosophy recognises that many of the "spiritual truths" of past ages are now out dated, incorrect and even harmful. Thus he took a "Devil be my God" attitude and used symbolism that is antithetical to the established religions of today to illustrate this point.

People who constantly harp on about Crowley's lax sexual morals and aparently evil spiritual world view are only expressing views rooted in old Aeon thinking with it's simplistic black and white morality. ;)

ravenest

Yep, as above, so below (its actually a secret degree sign... ooops ... was) and that might explain why the Heiro is using that specific gesture ... wink!

SerpentaAzothi

Hi Raven thanks for clarifying it, I should have realized what it meant, thanks. Isnt it a beauty, the sign? The light seems to have shown :)

Serpenta