The Tarot: History, Symbolism, and Divination by Robert Place

Crescent

frelkins said:
You.Must.Own.This.Period.
It's on its way to my house! I look forward to reading this book...

The crowned one

Glad to see all these positive recommendations. I have read it twice. I do not agree with everything he says, but I enjoy how he gets there, and he knows his stuff. A few too big leaps of intuition/ 1+1 =2.2 steps for my style, but In the top three tarot books I have read. I think there were about 5 pages throughout that whole well written book that put up flags for me as far as history and "connections" went. Fantastic book.

frelkins

I have many books, but the only ones I myself actually consider valuable now: are:

* James Ricklef's Tarot Tells the Tale - I couldn't read tarot until I read this. Read this too, if you haven't. Must. Must. Must.
* Milo's Ordinary Oracles - the section on tarot is short but fantastic. . .and hilarious. A Must.
* The Place Book - like Crowned, don't agree with it all, but it's still a Must.
* Jodo's book on the TdM - in French, again don't agree with it all
* Wicked Pack of Cards - if you can find it anywhere! If!
* Umbrae's audio book - A Must
* EE's e-book - if you have hesitated over the TdM, this is also A Must.

The crowned one

frelkins said:
I have many books, but the only ones I myself actually consider valuable now: are:

* James Ricklef's Tarot Tells the Tale - I couldn't read tarot until I read this. Read this too, if you haven't. Must. Must. Must.

This one is in my top three too. It changed the way I read.
Actually it is beside me now.

Crescent, do not limit yourself to tarot books to "learn to read tarot" The subject is way too narrow for the cards.

Gazel

Well, after reading this thread I was convinced, and I ordered The Place book along with the book by Huson that Pollack mentions in her Tarot wisdom.

ETA: The title of the Huson book is "Mystical Origins of the Tarot: From Ancient Roots to Modern Usage"

Alan Ross

Another book worth considering for those who enjoy Robert Place's book is Paul Huson's "Mystical Origins of the Tarot: From Ancient Roots to Modern Usage." He covers much of the same territory as Place, but he provides more details on the historical and symbological development of the minor suit signs. I was particularly intrigued by Huson's speculations of a possible relationship between the four suit signs and the four cardinal virtues. I was also not aware until I read this book that many card historians believe that the modern suit of diamonds is derived from the suit of batons, not coins, and clubs from coins, not batons.

In addition, Huson's book has a very useful compilation of divinatory interpretations for every card that include interpretations from Etteilla, De Mellet, Court de Gebelin, Eliphas Levi, Paul Christian, Mathers, The Golden Dawn, The Grand Orient, and Waite. Also useful is a summary at the end of the book of prominent historical decks and the development of the different historical deck patterns, such as the Marseille, Lombardy, Milanese, Piedmont, Besancon, Bologna, and Belgium. Detailed reviews of this book can be found here:

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/books/mystical-origins-tarot/

Alan

Edited to add: Oops! Gazel beat me to the punch with this recommendation. I hate it when that happens :).

Mabuse

4 out of 5 stars

I'm the one who gave it 4/5 stars on Amazon. I did find the book fascinating, insightful and mostly accurate. I liked how he placed (no pun intended) the traditional symbolism within the context of the type of thinking prevalent during the Renaissance period. I do recommend it along with Huson's book. However, there is ONE flaw that prevents me from giving it 5 stars. Place creates a misleading impression that occult Tarot is the only form of modern Tarot as if the GAME of Tarot disappeard during the 18th century. Unlike Huson, Place makes no mention of French suited Tarot/Tarock decks and states that ALL modern Tarot decks are derived from the Tarot de Marseilles. That statement is not quite accurate given the existence of modern Tarots with French suits and double ended figures for Tarot game playing. In spite of that particular shortcoming, I would recommend Place's book for both the Tarot and the Renaissance history enthusiast.

Gazel

Alan Ross said:
Edited to add: Oops! Gazel beat me to the punch with this recommendation. I hate it when that happens :).

I just provided the title, which I at first could not remember. You provided a summary about what to be expected from Huson's book. Just makes me even happier that I ordered it, so thank you :heart:

blackroseivy

:D

Glad peeps are recommending this one. (ETA: The Place book, that is!)

It is my personal "must-have" fave.

I realize that there may be a flaw or 2 in his case, but overall the impression he gives of what probably went into the making of these images to begin with - as has been stated - is most interesting reading & very enlightening.

I also recommend the "Alchemical Renewed" Tarot, while we're at it... ;)

blackroseivy

Just to add, have checked out the Hudson book & that's on the top of my "to-order" list. :D