The da vinci code by Dan Brown

CreativeFire

rabble said:
I read probably two thirds of Holy Blood, Holy Grail, but didn't finish it. It was ok, but not as readable as these other two. I had it on loan from the library, twice, and figured if I couldn't finish it in that time I wasn't going to.

I am struggling with Holy Blood, Holy Grail as well! :laugh: I have been 'reading' it for a while now. I pick it up and read it for a bit but I just can't seem to get into it. Usually I pick up a book and just read and read it until it is finished - but Holy Blood, Holy Grail - there just seems so much info and data to take in, definitely not bed time reading for me. ;)

I thoroughly enjoyed the Da Vinci Code and Women with the Alabaster Jar though. Very 'readable' and like you rabble, I would be interested in reading some more of Starbird's writing but haven't really checked out yet what she has written - as I have a number of other books on bedside table already waiting for me to get the chance to get into. ;)

CreativeFire

CreativeFire

Just an aside, but thought I would mention. A few of the people at work have just started getting into reading the Da Vinci Code, it is a best seller after all ;) and it is amazing the interest and discussions that have arisen. A few of them know that I am into Tarot (just as quite a few do not ;), and people are now commenting things like "I always just thought tarot was a fairly modern airy fairy mumbo jumbo about foretelling the future and stuff, but it is really quite an old thing isn't it?" :laugh:

Just thought I would share ;)

CreativeFire

rabble

I was hoping to have a nice lazy day and finish reading the alabaster jar today, but I didn't ;) - made a deck and watched a movie instead.

And I just noticed, it's only a week until your AT birthday, CF! :)

Moongold

I was disappointed in the "Da Vinci Code" but I can see what it is popular. Why not try "The Templar Revelations: Secret Guardians of the True Identity of Christ" by Lynn Pcknett and Clive Prince. Corgi, 1998?

Much better. :).

Lillie

I read Holy Blood not long after it came out (showing my age!) it changed my life in a weird sort of way.

I've also read the Templar revelation book. It's ok.

But they have writ some other, really unbelievable, stuff, so I don't really trust them.

I read too much of this sort of stuff when I was young. After a while I found that although an individual book could be convincing, a number of convincing books would contradict each other, and as they couldn't all be true, I sort of stopped believing in any of them.

The peril of a logical mind. :D

Peredur

The DaVinci Code et al

I watched the special on the National Geographic channel and it's a must see. Both Dan Brown and Margaret Starbird are interviewed. The presentation is fair and unbiased, however like any book on this subject, no definite conclusions can be reached. This is a topic where each person has to decide for themselves what to believe.
Bob

Brolga

I too was disappointed with this book!

Is Margaret Starbird a non-fiction writer?

Donni

Stregaverde

It's in Italy, too!

My MIL is currently reading this book in Italian, I'm interested to hear what she has to say. I'm going to get her to lend it to DH afterwards--he can read English well, but when reading for pleasure he prefers his native language. Since they are both very open-minded Catholics, I'm curious to hear their take on it!

And as an aside, both of them are very supportive of my tarot reading, and of tarot in general. It's more culturally accepted here, which would make sense. :)

Phoenix Rising

I've read both of his books, going to read digital fortress next. I'm halfway through "woman with the alabaster jar"

Oh and going to get the "DVD" out on the Da Vinci code.
It's probably the documentary you guys watched on TV.

Will check out the book Moongold suggested too, thanks.

catti

Another Book

Holy Blood , Holy Grail
kinda tounge in cheek ( IMHO) but readable-
sort of puts a bunch of conpiracy together at the center is the ideal that the man Jesus had babies who became the Albignesian kings and now his descendant is a Frenchman.
Enjoy!
Catti

Ha! that will teach me not to read a thread completely...
anyway i read Holy Blood years ago...i guess since Templars , Middle Ages, and European History were hobbies of mine I didnt have to make a big jump . i thought it was kind of cheeky reading.
Catti