EDSG #6 - Hierophant, 8 Swords, 7 Cups (Revisited)

rwcarter

I originally struggled with the interpretations of this triad as shown here. For the last month or so these cards have been gnawing at me. So instead of moving onto the next triad, I'm going to revisit this one.

One of my issues with "traditional" (i.e., Golden Dawn) ED interpretations is that the unfriendly combinations are seen as weakening each other:
  • Fire weakens Water
  • Water weakens Fire
  • Air weakens Earth
  • Earth weakens Air

But Fire and Water can combine to make steam, which can be put to good use (power, sexual chemistry, etc.) or it can produce a wet burning sensation. And Air and Earth can combine to form mountains or Earth can cover Air as a means of smothering. So I'm going to revisit the triads in terms of Air and Earth working to form a mountain or to smother the Water element.

Work/Career
EAW - You were constrained (8S) by your company's corporate culture (V) from even considering other options (7C).
AWE - Your options are limited (7C) because you're between a rock (8S) and a hard place (V).
WEA - Corporate culture (V) has tied your hands (8S) so that you can't move forward with any of the creative endeavors you've dreamed up (7C).

Relationships
EAW - You had felt trapped within your last relationship (8S) because of its traditional nature (V), but now that you've dumped him, you can explore what (and who) else is out there (7C).
AWE - Your desire to explore your sexual fantasies (7C) is trapped between your SO's traditional viewpoint about sex (V) and your own inability to ask for what you need in the relationship (8S).
WEA - Your cultural heritage (V) ties your hands (8S), leaving you unable to explore your sexual fantasies (7C).

Finances
EAW - Now that you're no longer overdrawn (8S) at the bank (V), you can go out and have some of the fun you've been missing out on. (7C)
AWE - Your "champagne tastes" (7C) are constrained by your inability to bring down (8S) your existing credit card debts (V).
WEA - The bank (V) has cut off your credit card (8S) because you spent way too much money fulfilling your desires (7C).

Home
EAW - Now that you're past the feeling of helplessness (8S) because of your underwater mortgage (V), you're free to explore other options available to you. (7C)
AWE - Your home renovation plans are stuck between (7C) your lack of funds (8S) and the bank's refusal to give you an equity line of credit (V).
WEA - Your parents' rules and regulations (V) are so strict (8S) that all you can do is dream about all the things you want to do (7C).

Cards as shown in the original thread:
EAW
AWE
WEA

Xrysalida

Work/Career

AWE - Your options are limited (7C) because you're between a rock (8S) and a hard place (V).
WEA - Corporate culture (V) has tied your hands (8S) so that you can't move forward with any of the creative endeavors you've dreamed up (7C).
AWE - You have many thoughts or options concerning your career and job, you are afraid thought and think that you are unable to do any of them. A stubborn well fixed figure might stand in your way and blocks your thoughts.
WEA - The change you desire or the position you asre dreaming of, looks too far away in you rmind, but is all in your mind!

Relationships
AWE - Your desire to explore your sexual fantasies (7C) is trapped between your SO's traditional viewpoint about sex (V) and your own inability to ask for what you need in the relationship (8S).
WEA - Your cultural heritage (V) ties your hands (8S), leaving you unable to explore your sexual fantasies (7C).
AWE - You are traaped in your current relationship, your emotions and freedom of mind is trapped by a strong figure, who has issues with religion or smt. Maaaan this really reminds me my ex who got fanatic in the process and slowly slowly he didn't want to have sex, go out, speak with the sex etc because all was a sin :bugeyed:

[Finances
WEA - The bank (V) has cut off your credit card (8S) because you spent way too much money fulfilling your desires (7C).
How do you see the 8oS as credit card? because it literally binds you to dept?

This is more dificult than I tohught :)

werewolfmoon

EAW - You had felt trapped within your last relationship (8S) because of its traditional nature (V), but now that you've dumped him, you can explore what (and who) else is out there (7C).

*sigh*

Those are essentially my New Years Resolutions, breaking patterns of behaviour, being brave and exploring my sexuality more.

rwcarter

AWE - You have many thoughts or options concerning your career and job, you are afraid thought and think that you are unable to do any of them. A stubborn well fixed figure might stand in your way and blocks your thoughts.
WEA - The change you desire or the position you asre dreaming of, looks too far away in you rmind, but is all in your mind!

AWE - You are traaped in your current relationship, your emotions and freedom of mind is trapped by a strong figure, who has issues with religion or smt. Maaaan this really reminds me my ex who got fanatic in the process and slowly slowly he didn't want to have sex, go out, speak with the sex etc because all was a sin :bugeyed:

How do you see the 8oS as credit card? because it literally binds you to dept?

This is more dificult than I tohught :)
Especially for the purpose of these exercises, it really helps to associate the card with the interpretation as I did in my examples; otherwise those who are following may have difficulty figuring out how your interpretation fits with the cards. You appear to be interpreting from left to right, which isn't wrong, but it isn't the traditional method of interpreting EDs. The central card is the main card and should start with or be the central part of the interpretation. Also, the three cards should form a single thought or sentence, not multiple thoughts or sentences.

As for the 8S as a credit card, because I saw the Hierophant as the bank and the 8S is about constriction or being restrained, credit card was the first thing that came to mind, especially here in America where lots of people "live" off their credit cards.

It takes practice getting used to EDs as it takes a different approach to linking cards together and interpreting them. That's why I encourage folks to try their hand at EDs instead of just reading how I interpreted the cards.

I'll post the next exercise probably on Thursday.

Rodney