Decks You Wish You Hadn't Bought?

Nickigirl

Universal Goddesses and Princesses (both Lo Scarabeo)
Both are filled with busty, fake-looking, barbie-doll, cartoonish women swooning over men. Yuck. Not as lesbian-friendly as one might have expected from the titles. I did not get the vibe of strong women that I would have liked. I have never even used either in a reading, I was that disappointed in them.
Traded the Goddesses but no one else wants the Princesses either!

emel25

Decks I regret getting:

Quest - ugly cards
Mystic Faerie - a lot of the cards are just too similar
Earth Magic - an instant dislike
Transparent Tarot - clever but I don't like the imagery

MoonSwan

I'm only just getting started so my collection is very basic. In a funny sort of way it's a relief to know other people get decks they don't gel with.

My first deck was 'Tarot in a Tin' a £1 from a car boot sale but I found the 'artwork' on the cards quite plain and uninspiring, but as it's aimed at beginners.....Also I can't seem to get on with The Medicine Woman Tarot, however, I think I'll keep it for a little while and see if I change my mind but somehow I don't think so.

Interesting to read the comments on Thoth, I was thinking of getting that one next but not so sure now.

Good that the 'unloved' decks get traded on/swapped. I think of it as a journey for the cards (as well as The Fool's journey) in as much as the right deck finding it's way to the right person :eek:)

Linh

I got a Thoth deck a while back and I actually regretted buying. It just wouldn't click with me and spark my intuition. The artwork is stunning but I think there's something about the spirit of Aleister Crowley that doesn't suit my personality (count me weird.)

GryffinSong

Linh said:
I got a Thoth deck a while back and I actually regretted buying. It just wouldn't click with me and spark my intuition. The artwork is stunning but I think there's something about the spirit of Aleister Crowley that doesn't suit my personality (count me weird.)

No, count HIM weird!!! LOL There are a lot of us, just as I'm sure there are lots of people who don't click with my favorites. I like MoonSwan's comment about decks having their own journeys to find the right person. None of us should feel compelled to keep a deck we don't gel with. It's no reflection on us, just as it's no reflection on the deck. It simply isn't the right fit. No biggy. I would guess that of the decks I've bought I've kept about half of them. Maybe more, maybe less. I enjoy looking through them (with one or two exceptions), I enjoy the anticipation of watching the mailbox for its arrival, and I enjoy the response when I give or trade one away to someone who will love it.

nicky

Rock Art - seriously what the heck
Voyager - awkward and unattractive
Merlin - ugly and uninspiring
Alcohol - I could have done a better job drunk
Healing Earth - cost a lot and had no idea what to do with the extra suit
Lord of the Rings - what a disappointing deck for such a great novel
Ancient Mysteries - the borders were larger than the images
Pandora - the artwork was awful

Aerin

MoonSwan said:
Interesting to read the comments on Thoth, I was thinking of getting that one next but not so sure now.

Don't be put off just because some of us don't gel with it. There are loads of people who do. It may be worth heading over to the Thoth forum and having a look around.

Or just getting it and seeing what happens. You may love it - who knows?

ETA: I have a Merlin. I love the artwork on the Majors, the (to me) rather contrived "new system" [sigh] and the Minors do nothing for me.

Frayling0

Is Osho Zen really that bad? The artwork actually looked quite nice to me, (I haven't purchased it yet).

Carla

Frayling0 said:
Is Osho Zen really that bad? The artwork actually looked quite nice to me, (I haven't purchased it yet).

Yes. It was my first deck. I used to defend it, and it wasn't until I got other decks that I realised I defended it because 1) I didn't know any better and 2) it played upon my weakness of berating myself. That sword suit is killer on the self-esteem. Someone here wanted it (even though I'd trimmed it and botched a couple of the cards) so I gave it away.

Laura Borealis

Carla said:
2) it played upon my weakness of berating myself. That sword suit is killer on the self-esteem.
That's interesting, I'd always thought the objections to it were mostly about the creator Osho (the guru). After reading about him I definitely would have a hard time connecting with the deck. (I do have a teeny set of the majors, which came in the back of a book I no longer have.)