Is it a good ToM version?

Richard

Katniss, if you don't love the rougher lines, let me throw another contender into the ring: the ISIS TdM. I don't have this one myself and I have no idea how much it costs, but a lot of people praise it for its aesthetics.
If you think you like the ISIS, don't put it off like I did. I could kick myself for not getting it sooner. There's nothing else in the Tarot world that compares to it, IMO. Although under $50 USD, it is still a significant amount of money for me, but well worth it. If I had to choose which deck to have if shipwrecked on a desert island, it would be the ISIS, without hesitation.

Chrystella

So...much...enabling! :p

Maybe I'll get it sooner rather than later. Omg, really, there are so many decks that I want! #FirstWorldProblems

Le Fanu

If you think you like the ISIS, don't put it off like I did. I could kick myself for not getting it sooner. There's nothing else in the Tarot world that compares to it, IMO. Although under $50 USD, it is still a significant amount of money for me, but well worth it. If I had to choose which deck to have if shipwrecked on a desert island, it would be the ISIS, without hesitation.
Can I just second this? It is the most extraordinary, vivid deck - so sharp and readable in its imagery. I never knew the Conver could feel this contemporary, this alive and so full of character. It has steadily been one of my favourite TdMs since it was released. Of the "restored and tweaked" school of TdM it is without doubt my favourite. Of the "just" restored, I'd go with the Flornoys but if I was buying a TdM off one of the big sellers, I'd go for the Pierre Madenié which is available on amazon and the book depository, distributed now by U.S Games and quite simply the loveliest authentic TdM available. I have rounded the corners on one of mine (I have three) and it has made it even lovelier!

Chrystella

I adore the Pierre Madenié by Yves Reynaud and I think it's my favourite TdM. I think about rounding the corners, but I don't know if I can bring myself to do it.

What do you all think of the Dodals? I want to add one to my collection, but I'm torn about which to get. I have Flornoy's Noblet so I know what kind of quality I'd get (excellent). I'm just wondering if I should seek out Drussere or Robledo for variety.

garmonbozia

What do you all think of the Dodals? I want to add one to my collection, but I'm torn about which to get. I have Flornoy's Noblet so I know what kind of quality I'd get (excellent). I'm just wondering if I should seek out Drussere or Robledo for variety.

Unless there is a reprint I am unaware of, I think the Dussere Dodal is long out of print and copies sell for hundreds of dollars. I think I saw one on eBay for sale right now for $200.

I'd recommend Robledo's if you don't mind the price. His decks have one of my favortie card stocks. I love how they feel. The Flornoy is a little cheaper to buy.

Double Headed Secret

The first deck I got was Lo Scarabeo's Tarots of Marseille and I am actually looking for another deck because I find the graphics rather horrid, and the card fabric is too thin and plasticy.

The Pierre Madenié is a gorgeous facsimile edition, however as a facsimile edition it's rather delicate, and not so convenient for daily use.

I own both decks, but am looking for another which is both beautiful and usable, personally I think the Camoin-Jodorowsky deck might be one that merges these two qualities.

Richard

......I own both decks, but am looking for another which is both beautiful and usable, personally I think the Camoin-Jodorowsky deck might be one that merges these two qualities.
The C-J is a very creative and original version of the TdM.

The most beautiful and refined Conver restoration that I know of (besides ISIS) is Kevin Meunier's Tarot de Marseille. It is available from ADA.

Another excellent restoration is the CBD by Yoav Ben-Dov, who is based in Tel Aviv. You can order it from his web site.

kalliope

I adore the Dodal, but the larger size of the Flornoy deck kept me from using it. I told Pablo to let me know when he'll be sending more copies of his Robledo Dodal to the US. He said he'd probably be ready to do so in June, just FYI.

I wish the Dussere weren't so expensive! The ones I've seen on eBay are even more than the $200 that garmonbozia quoted.

Here are three TdM type 1 if it helps :

https://www.sendspace.com/file/cp5elk

from left to right J. Payen, J. Dodal, centuries (ie JP Payen)

Thanks for this comparison scan! I've come to realize that I really love the roughness and quirky faces of the type 1 decks.

I saw the high quality scans of the Jean-Pierre Payen on the Yale library website (follow Kenji's instructions to search by catalog number), and what I really, really want is for someone to produce an excellent facsimile version of THAT deck, keeping all of the muted colors (background paper also) and line quality exactly as they are. It's wonderful! I downloaded the scans to put into my UniTarot app at some point.

I have a copy of the Tarot des Centuries on the way, even though I know some of the images have been altered considerably and it has a lot of glaring yellow. I just kind of fell for the faces when looking at comparative scans on Albideuter.

The most beautiful and refined Conver restoration that I know of (besides ISIS) is Kevin Meunier's Tarot de Marseille. It is available from ADA.

Thanks for the link to the Meunier deck, LRichard. I hadn't seen that one before.