Where does "True Will" come from?

Zephyros

I ask questions and you answer them (it doesn't matter what the answers are ... they don't have to be accurate or about your feelings) ... we do it here or split?

(PS. making it a game keeps it light and answers, not having to be accurate, defray side issues and attacks - hopefully.)

Let's do it here, if it isn't off-topic

ravenest

... that the individual is somehow flawed if he does not conform to some monolithic deity, even if that monolith is his own Higher Self. .

:) brilliant ... love it ! ... I thought you weren't a Thelemite :)

Zephyros

:) brilliant ... love it ! ... I thought you weren't a Thelemite :)

meh, labels, what are they really? Still, everything has its own internal logic, and the answer to my question can't go against Thelema's own logic.

I officially don't consider myself anything, I refuse to. :)

ravenest

I think what is important is humility. The intellectual pedestal is a trap. There should be a balance between heart and mind in approaching essential questions.

Not in Hermetics it isn't ... Mercurius is the modulator ... Mind is something different from the intellect, the intellect (in this sense) it is not an intellectual pedestal but a process of the faculty of Mercurius passing and returning feedback (in conjunction with the mercury (at 'top' ) triad of the Mars Venus Mercury triangle ( the bottom part expressing 'ID' ) and triangulating around the Moon (all the processes in the 'UNconscious' ... remembering the dual nature of mercury as psychopomp ) this penetrates the Solar ego ( heart ) but again ... it all cycles above and below through ones natal 'personal planets' that develop one's persona, that interacts through 'self' with the sociocultural environment .. AND interacts 'above' with ones natal 'Transpersonal Planets' where modification (again by feedback loop) takes place on a higher level and the equivalent to the term 'persona' (which could be HGA) now links upward and outward and 'beyond'.

In other words I see it as an alchemical circular distillation ... there are inherent qualities in the substance (here .. in alchemy ... starting with the 'most base of substances') that were imbued in its natural creation but it can all change depending on the process it is put through ... AND strangely enough ( but not strange world in the daimonic world or the world of quantum physics theories) ... the action / distillation depends on the 'vibe' of the 'operator'.

ravenest

The meaning of 'fate' is sooo problematic! Fate cannot be defined or detected. It is invisible, intangible, makes no sound, and has no scent (like the Invisible Gardener in the parable). Therefore, what is the pragmatic difference between fate, and non-fate? It is an illusion due to linear thinking. Reality is not linear. It can only be mapped onto a multidimensional continuum of space and time, where the interactions between past, present, and future cannot be described by a single linear string of binary digits. In its proper, realistic context, fate has no meaning whatsoever.

YES!

I want to add the 'looped' to your ; " Reality is not linear. It can only be mapped onto a multidimensional continuum of space and time, where the interactions between past, present, and future cannot be described by a single linear string of binary digits "

{Obviously I prefer my string theory pasta to take the form of Spaghetti-O's and not chopped up little bits of spaghetti (which of course the cannot be ... its just that the ends 'loop' and join in a non observable 'dimension' ) like poles of a bar magnet ... the magnetic poles of the earth and ... to get far out man (further out actually ;) ) the 'magnetic' poles of the 'Celestial Sphere' ... or Kether being in Malkuth and visa versa}

ravenest

I agree. Skimmed through Duty and had an epiphany, of sorts. Perhaps I've been seeing this wrongly, in looking for the answer as a "thing," or process. Perhaps True Will can best be defined as what it isn't. It is not acting through fear, or obligation, or compulsion, or guilt, or shame, or any of the things that would degrade and besmirch the inherent deity within. Take all that away, through all sorts of initiatory processes, as all that is merely extra baggage, and by Occam's Razor you are left with the essence. That, is the Higher Self.

Ultimately... Love is the Law, Love Under Will. })

YES!!! ... 'elusive' like the 'Tao' . What is the nature of DAO? .. even Lao Tzu cannot tell you ... it is 'not this' , 'nor that' ... ...it is not yin ... is not yang ... it is ... <shrug> Dao ... then he goes on to analogies ... :)

Zephyros

Not in Hermetics it isn't ... Mercurius is the modulator ... Mind is something different from the intellect, the intellect (in this sense) it is not an intellectual pedestal but a process of the faculty of Mercurius passing and returning feedback (in conjunction with the mercury (at 'top' ) triad of the Mars Venus Mercury triangle ( the bottom part expressing 'ID' ) and triangulating around the Moon (all the processes in the 'UNconscious' ... remembering the dual nature of mercury as psychopomp ) this penetrates the Solar ego ( heart ) but again ... it all cycles above and below through ones natal 'personal planets' that develop one's persona, that interacts through 'self' with the sociocultural environment .. AND interacts 'above' with ones natal 'Transpersonal Planets' where modification (again by feedback loop) takes place on a higher level and the equivalent to the term 'persona' (which could be HGA) now links upward and outward and 'beyond'.

In other words I see it as an alchemical circular distillation ... there are inherent qualities in the substance (here .. in alchemy ... starting with the 'most base of substances') that were imbued in its natural creation but it can all change depending on the process it is put through ... AND strangely enough ( but not strange world in the daimonic world or the world of quantum physics theories) ... the action / distillation depends on the 'vibe' of the 'operator'.

If I understand you correctly, adepts are expected to learn the symbols intellectually, then assimilate their significance into their psyche, culminating in a whole. This, indeed, is what attributions, knowledge lectures and the like are for. Without understanding the symbols they meditated upon, adepts would meditate or use symbols with imperfect results.

(Hope I'm not offending, not everyone speaks fluent ravenest, which is why I paraphrazed :) )

As to humility, I agree it has no place in Hermetics, at least not the Western accepted idea of it (which normally means sacrifice and suffering). On the contrary, what you try to do Hermetically is enlarge yourself, not become aware of how small you are (although recognition of that is an important stage of initiation, perhaps the grade of Malkuth?)

YES!!! ... 'elusive' like the 'Tao' . What is the nature of DAO? .. even Lao Tzu cannot tell you ... it is 'not this' , 'nor that' ... ...it is not yin ... is not yang ... it is ... <shrug> Dao ... then he goes on to analogies ... :)

Yes, that answer I arrived at was the only one that really satisfied me. :)

Richard

I agree. Skimmed through Duty and had an epiphany, of sorts. Perhaps I've been seeing this wrongly, in looking for the answer as a "thing," or process. Perhaps True Will can best be defined as what it isn't. It is not acting through fear, or obligation, or compulsion, or guilt, or shame, or any of the things that would degrade and besmirch the inherent deity within. Take all that away, through all sorts of initiatory processes, as all that is merely extra baggage, and by Occam's Razor you are left with the essence. That, is the Higher Self.

Ultimately... Love is the Law, Love Under Will. })
FWIW, I agree.