Why Does everyone think Crowley was a Satanist

rogue

It amuses me how Crowley haters flock to the scene of the crime so they can proudly showcase their good guy badges whenever his name comes up. In that regard Crowley is the devil, the guy that they love to hate. Little do they realize how much they owe to devils like him for the cathartic release they provide. If there weren't bad guys like Al Pacino to point the finger at, then how would these people be able to convince themselves of their own goodness?

Rosanne

Tsk Tsk Lampkin, hater is such a strong word- I love Al Pachino, he sure can Tango or is that skill just 'acting'? Then again I am shallow- he is soooo rich. I need people like .....ummm... Idi Amin to make me feel good. ~Rosanne

frelkins

lampkin said:
I In that regard Crowley is the devil, the guy that they love to hate.

Wow you seem unusually angry for AT! Actually, I rarely think about Crowley, but I suppose if I had to summarize my feelings, I'd say he does creep me out. Mostly because of his alleged treatment of women. But hey, some people like consensual S/M.

In the end tho', he was just another pitiful junkie. Users ain't heroes. They're pathetic; they squander their own lives and harm those around him.

But again, if Crowley works for you, go for it. I notice we supposed "haters" have more tolerance for Crowley and his supporters than his supporters have for us. Which I find instructive in and of itself.

Debra

lampkin said:
It amuses me how Crowley haters flock to the scene of the crime so they can proudly showcase their good guy badges whenever his name comes up. In that regard Crowley is the devil, the guy that they love to hate. Little do they realize how much they owe to devils like him for the cathartic release they provide. If there weren't bad guys like Al Pacino to point the finger at, then how would these people be able to convince themselves of their own goodness?

What "these people" are you talking about, Jeremy? Nobody here but us chickens. ;)

Attachments

• chicken.jpg
    chicken.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 136

rogue

Using the word tolerance itself implies that you've got problems with the people you tolerate. I find understanding and acceptance of all things as they are to be a better philosophy. We all play our roles. Do I really seem angry? I don't really see that. Remember that just like Pacino in Scarface, Crowley was acting too. Spiritual people who have the ability to see things from above and below can see both the actor and the role. If you find his character so repugnant, that means he did his job well. I'd say that calls for congratulations, when one considers the higher goal. Lots of actors lack skill and botch the role altogether. Those are the ones who are truly worthy of disdain. The role of the devil is as important as any in our society. He is also the biggest catalyst for change.

Debra

Like this?

Attachments

• stick your neck out.jpg
    stick your neck out.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 134

mac22

Goat of Mendes said:
Not quite. Usually a funny little quirk of the human mind takes over. The word German somehow transforms into Nazi. It's odd how often that happens when Crowley is involved. ;)

Of course Crowley courted controversy during his life. He loved to shock and play centre stage. But you can only shock the shockable and gull the gullible, and the surprise (or maybe no surprise) is that it still works to this day.

Why do so many people think Crowley was an evil Satanist? Mostly because the vast majority of people, whether they admit it or not, still secretly fear a supernatural bogey man call the Devil. It's this silly superstition and it's vice-like hold over peoples minds that causes people to get stuck on Crowley's supposedly evil reputation as a Satanist. Why else would you hear people constanlty saying that they fear the Thoth Tarot and the black shadow of Aleister Crowley that hangs over it like some sort of evil vapour. It's hilarious. :laugh:

I see Crowley's reputation as a kind of litmus test. If you can't see past the stage show antics you won't get anything out of Crowley or his writings at all.

Well spoken... and please ignore the man behind the curtain.:D

mac22

Rosanne

Lol For me-I am just following his words..."we should not protect the weak and vicious from the results of their own inferiority..." Goodness me with that intellect and talent, he was able to convince people that the 'Role' and the 'Man' were separate. Wish it was truly that way- and I bet some of his mates wished the same. So I do not pity him his addictions, his conceit, and his lack of of self discipline- that would insult him. I am just sad he did not learn the lessons of Tarot very well. His life may have been Spiritual, I am just not sure what 'Spirit' was involved. ~Rosanne

mac22

Rosanne said:
Lol For me-I am just following his words..."we should not protect the weak and vicious from the results of their own inferiority..." Goodness me with that intellect and talent, he was able to convince people that the 'Role' and the 'Man' were separate. Wish it was truly that way- and I bet some of his mates wished the same. So I do not pity him his addictions, his conceit, and his lack of of self discipline- that would insult him. I am just sad he did not learn the lessons of Tarot very well. His life may have been Spiritual, I am just not sure what 'Spirit' was involved. ~Rosanne

....And perhaps poor ole Crowley was haunted by Choronzon or his drug addictions... Some say Crowley died shortly after burning his ouija board in an attempt to become possessed by demons.

mac22

Greywoolfe

Maybe people thought Crowley was a Satanist, simply because they didn't understand him, and fear springs from misunderstanding. Once that happens, it's al too easy to believe anny misguided label applied to someone by another who doesn't understand...