Four of Cups reversed - nothing left to take for granted?

Kgirl

Would like some feedback on this card

I received Four of Cups reversed in a reading. It got me thinking that, since upright this card is very much about a person not being there for you emotionally or someone who takes things for granted, could the reverse mean that this person is moving on from that stasis.

In short, could the reversed Four of Cups mean (among many other things):

1. that the person is moving on from being indifferent

2. the person is ready to receive the cup on offer

3. the person can now appreciate the cup that is on offer; or

4. that the person now realises that what they took for granted is no longer there to ignore or take for granted? It's just gone and its too late. The cups are empty

Love to read anybody's thoughts :)

nisaba

Or that they pour all their opportunities away.

Kgirl

Oooh I like that alot!

SA12

How perfect to find this thread! I was just going to post another on this card but I will add to this ;) So I'm also curious about the 4 of cups reversed/ill dignified -- I had it ill dignified against a 6 of wands asking "how often does x think about this" ...so maybe this person is being too selfish to think about the situation?

Upright, I notice others have ascribed both apathy and "going inward"/meditation to this card...which kinda seems like a contradiction in terms.

Kgirl

Hi SA12 ... I struggle to see the reversed Four of Cups as positive or the opposite of the upright meaning.

The more I think it about it, the more I see how reversed the Cups all become empty? Even the Cups they have taken. Maybe its too much contemplation, too much time turning away whats on offer and finding nothing that sustains you. Perhaps thats too negative? :D

SA12

I think it depends on the card(s) next to it. Much like the reversed four of swords that can suggest an end to 'rest', I think the reversed 4 of Cups can mean an end to apathy or introversion; the other cards, again, tell the tale of what might happen next.

In my case, the 4 of Cups was the principle card, dignified by an earth card to the left, but not getting along so well with the 6 of wands. At first glance I thought 'pouting and arrogant' because those are the negative qualities I'd give to these two cards. Now, though, I'm not so sure....

Amanda

I think all your options for this card's definition could work. I tend to see the reversal of this card more like your number two... The person becomes open and accepting of something outside of him or herself.

MaineGirl117

I could see the good in a 4/cups rx. What if the water is old, stagnant.... icky.

You can't pour something new into that cup until you dump it out! In that sense it could imply a sense of renewal.

In the case of the upright 4/cups.. maybe they're not interested in the extended cup because they've got enough to think about for the moment. They need to solve the riddle of the first three cups before they take on the next one. They could be taking things 'step by step'. In this case, the reversed could mean they're rushing to the finish line without having done the work needed to really appreciate (be emotionally gratified with) the end result!

JadoreHauteCouture

I also agree with the meanings above... reversed 4 of cups can suggests that person has many new opportunities and friends are there for him but he decides to turn his back on them and be on his own... Its a card of disrespect and non-appreciation due to possible anger inside of person...

SA12

I think all your options for this card's definition could work. I tend to see the reversal of this card more like your number two... The person becomes open and accepting of something outside of him or herself.

Hmmm, so then what do you make of the 4 of Cups + the 6 of Wands? If I take the four as positive in my scenario: i.e. 'how often does x think about me/what happened' -- what about the 6, which is all ill-dignified? Since selfishness doesn't seem likely to apply now, does this mean moving forward with some delay or that the other person (upon reflection via the 4) is too insecure at this point? Proud? or Does this six of wands blocked by cups almost lend itself to nostalgia (instead of riding forward in triumph, I imagine the man in the card looking back)?