Tarot Wayfarer project: Is this actual Tarot Magic?

Rallwedd

Rose + Key

Hi Rhosyn (unusual and striking name, Welsh?).

Back to the Rose-key ... the Chevalier & Gheerbrandt Dictionary of Symbols, or the Cirlot Dictionary of Symbols, and if you can bear it The Archive for Research in Archetypal Symbolism publication The Book of Symbols, all have good sections on the Rose, the key and whatnot that may interest you. Alchemists have used the Rose as a symbol for all manner of alchemical ideas, with the colour and number of petals being the 'key' or legend to what is being referred too.

Hello Spiffo

Thank you! Although these are symbolism for the Rose and the Key separately? I am tracing their combination of the "Rose Key" as one unique symbol?

Can you direct me to the Elemites use of the "Rose Key" specifically? That is really interesting, given these folk claim to have sent a symbol back in time!

Do you think the Majorie Cameron video was photoshopped maybe?

Rhosyn

Spiffo

Hello Spiffo

Thank you! Although these are symbolism for the Rose and the Key separately? I am tracing their combination of the "Rose Key" as one unique symbol?

Can you direct me to the Elemites use of the "Rose Key" specifically? That is really interesting, given these folk claim to have sent a symbol back in time!

Do you think the Majorie Cameron video was photoshopped maybe?

Rhosyn

The main use of the Rose-key, by the Elam, was to symbolise authority, and specifically the authority of the priesthood. The actual Rose-key was a symbolic glyph and it is theorised that the glyph, or emblem, would have adorned ceremonial garments. From memory there are depictions of it on ancient carvings in Southern Iraq and some references to it in early Persian writings. I'm trying to hunt out a decent reference for you.

As to the video, it is authentic. Harrington is a known film maker, and many people interested in the occult, the weirdly woohoo, or the Avantgarde will know of him. As to the assertion that a group of people at a TarotCon in Florida somehow sent a red rose and a large key, back in time, so that Harrington used it in his film is, well, an inventive fiction. Katz has used a very common symbol to suit his purposes. There's nothing wrong with that in one sense, given everyone is in on the 'joke' or (to be kinder) the allusion/illusion.

As the old saying goes, take it with a pinch of salt. This is a clever, well thought out, and long-time-in-the-planning marketing scheme to entice people into the whole Tarot Wayfarer world. It's not dissimilar to Andrea Aste's Lost Code of Tarot deck/book/film which similarly created a fictional alternate reality to explore themes inherent in Tarot.

Rallwedd

Rose Key Time Travel

Hello Spiffo

Thank you again for trying to find a specific reference for me!

I'm still confused about the whole Marjorie Cameron thing, I guess. They claim to have sent it "back in time" (I think it was Dallas, not Florida) and there's video evidence of that event.

Then that Cameron video surface a YEAR later!

So they couldn't possibly have "known" about it? Is it just a weird coincidence?

I love conspiracy theories, but this one has video evidence which time stamps the whole sequence. That's what confused me.

Anyhow, thank you for looking for the Rose Key in history, that's really helpful. I'm writing a new post about all this on my blog shortly! So far, it's just been a few things about my reading stuff.

Rhosyn

RavenOfSummer

Here's another thread on this project, in case anyone is interested: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=269652

I too think based on what I've seen that the ultimate product is a virtual reality game or something similar. It does appear a lot of work is going into creating an immersive world for this project. And the marketing so far really has been intriguing and fun!

nisaba

Roses and keys have been symbols for centuries...

Ah, but perhaps they've just given us the retrospective memories of those symbols being there for years, when they sent back the symbols earlier this morning!

RiverRunsDeep

Ciro made a post on the thread RavenofSummer mentioned, in which he adamantly calls the project "a work of fiction" and a "tarot themed fantasy world". Sounds like it's all in good fun. :)

nisaba

Ciro made a post on the thread RavenofSummer mentioned, in which he adamantly calls the project "a work of fiction" and a "tarot themed fantasy world".

<without batting an eye> Yes, that's exactly what the Illuminati *would* say if they were messing with history and with all of our minds.

Spiffo

<without batting an eye> Yes, that's exactly what the Illuminati *would* say if they were messing with history and with all of our minds.

Stop it cheeky. X

magicjack

So Tarot cards have went full circle. It's back to just being a game.

Farzon

I'm still confused about the whole Marjorie Cameron thing, I guess. They claim to have sent it "back in time" (I think it was Dallas, not Florida) and there's video evidence of that event.

Then that Cameron video surface a YEAR later!

So they couldn't possibly have "known" about it? Is it just a weird coincidence?

I don't get any evidence out of this video. Just a rose and a key lying on a book in front of a mirror... and a few questions arise: why would someone send a symbol back in time when they don't know what it actually means? What kind of magician would do such a thing and for what purpose?

If the TarotCon in Dallas was three years ago, there might well have been plans for this app or whatever it will be.

It's even possible that they collaborated with artists like Eric Dunnee from the Tarot Illuminati and Nora Huszka from the Starlight Dragon Tarot in advance. Concerning the later: it's actually not a surprise to see a key in the Hierophant card... and the Rose is also a very common symbol in the Tarot...