How does a deck get OOP?

danieljuk

:D Babs just invented a new Canadian saying :)

It's interesting to look at the posts of the tarot deck creators and authors on here, they are often quite disheartened and sad when their decks go OOP. It mostly doesn't seem to be their decision as far as I can see unless they are self -publishing.

Clos is right that some decks are limited in a certain number from the start and you might even have a numbered deck.

But then the big publishing houses are not the same as the authors and creators, there isn't really a personal interest or link to them, they just want to sell! I wonder if a certain number of decks are agreed to be printed before going OOP and / or for a certain amount of years, the actual deck author might not even know this or it might all be agreed first. Some decks have been around for years like AJ said. I presume that publishers monitor sales very carefully, if they are selling a certain amount per year they will keep going with them!

Perhaps when sales get too low in the end, that is the end of the run, perhaps when a deck has a first print run and flops (it must happen!), it doesn't get past the first printed quantity :(

Alea

:D Babs just invented a new Canadian saying :)

It's interesting to look at the posts of the tarot deck creators and authors on here, they are often quite disheartened and sad when their decks go OOP. It mostly doesn't seem to be their decision as far as I can see unless they are self -publishing.

But then the big publishing houses are not the same as the authors and creators, there isn't really a personal interest or link to them, they just want to sell! I wonder if a certain number of decks are agreed to be printed before going OOP and / or for a certain amount of years, the actual deck author might not even know this or it might all be agreed first. Some decks have been around for years like AJ said. I presume that publishers monitor sales very carefully, if they are selling a certain amount per year they will keep going with them!

You bring up an interesting point there, in terms of the publishing houses and their sales.
For me, it's kind of to be expected that self-published artists/authors tend to go OOP at one point or another.
My main point in terms of this thread is the main publishing houses. Hmm, maybe I should have just made a thread about how long people would think deck "X/Y/Z" would last instead. xD

Alea

Decks are incredibly durable with some reasonable care. You'll never need those duplicates probably, unless you outright lose one of the ones you're using. Just buy the ones you like and if you want to put out more money, buy a new one that's coming out that you like.

Ahh, Grizabella... Hehe *coughs* well, you see.... I'm a very clumsy sort, forgetful too. I have had my Vampyres deck...."washed out". I was doing some cleaning and forgot my Vampyres deck was on top of my plastic storage box (which was near the fridge, the thing i was cleaning currently) and...well, as I was clearing the fridge of ice..... some bits of ice jumped off during it and slid on top of my box.....with my deck.... and *embarrassed chuckle* I didn't notice it till...oh, I don't know, an hour or two later? so around a dozen or so cards were soaked through and I tried to dry them out. They're usable, but it's just sad for me, it was during my first month in my journey to Tarot and I noticed one card was peeling off at the bottom (it was the first card that got soaked) so, stupid me, I cut off around half an inch or so off it. I still love my Vampyres deck, I use it as much as I can. But i'm still buying a new one someday.
And you're right, I may not need the duplicates, but I still like the thought of if anything happens, I have a backup to just.. I don't know, have to look at and have sentimentality with. :D

tarotbear

Having written a book that went OOP - I'll comment on this:

Skipping limited editions and limited runs - it is all in the hands of the publisher to make a decision whether something stays 'In Print' or goes OOP. A Best Seller can go OOP. It is all based on economics - supply and demand.

Unlike self-publishing or POD books (and decks like TGC) the publisher DOES have boxes of stock in a warehouse in New Jersey - physical stock that takes up space. 'Real' publishers print 3,000 - 5,000 copies in a run. If X number of copies sell within X amount of time, a decision to have a second printing can be made - or denied. My publisher printed 3 runs of my book (with a smaller amount printed each time). After 4 years they let the book go OOP as they downsized their company, downsized their editorial staff, etc.,etc. The fact that the first printing (4,000+ copies) sold out in 9 months and at its height I was selling 8 copies a day worldwide did not make them hesitate to allow my book to go OOP.

Conversely, someone asked why it seems some really dried dog doo-doo decks DON'T go OOP - and that is probably because there are boxes of them in storage that the publisher is trying to unload without a loss. It will never be reprinted, but the supply has not dried up yet.

nisaba

Hi everyone! Well, this has been on my mind recently, how and why does certain decks go OOP?

The same way books and CDs do - because the publisher stops producing them.

Publishers stop producing things that do not show them a good profit - they are not charities.

James Battersby

King's Journey

Various reasons. In my case i have an ex girlfriend wanting to crucify me for re-releasing king's journey lol...and a current girlfriend wanting to do the same thing because i am working on an ex's deck. Orders are coming in though regardless.

Due to a number of factors, after this last print run, we'll not be printing King's Journey for awhile, if ever. It's a great deck, vibrant, colourful and a lot of spirit. I have a lot of people interested but wanted to get the last few people who may not know that it's available but had looked for it years ago.

I'm selling the King's Journey Borderless Edition which comes with Spirit Suit and the two Majors Daath and Soul.

http://www.jamesbattersby.co.uk/stor...irit_suit.html

52 dollars from the site (2 dollars to allow for the host site their allowance)

or 50 dollars by direct paypal j_battersby@hotmail.com

you can email me at j_battersby@hotmail.com for further info

If you are on Facebook...

www.facebook.com/kingsjourneytarot

Chimera Dust

Sometimes it's because they're limited editions that were never meant to be in print after a certain number of copies, so once they're sold out, they're sold out.

Most of the time it's for the same reasons as books. Publishers usually decide on a certain number of copies per edition. If they don't publish another edition (due to copyright issues, lack of funding or interest, or any other reasons), a deck goes out of print because new editions are no longer being made.