dealbreaker cards in a deck

SixDegrees

Aerin said:
So Sixdegrees.... you don't like the Osho Zen then ;)?

The Swords suit is the main reason I don't read with the deck very often. It makes it feel so unbalanced when I look through and so I don't 'listen' to it as much as I otherwise would have done.

Aerin

Exactly. I have the deck, but I've never used it because of this. I understand why many tarot decks depict the Swords as negative (the rational mind as the enemy of occult thought and imagination), but it just doesn't work for me.

2_Journey

SixDegrees said:
Often, I can overlook the Nine as long as the figure doesn't display clear anguish (i.e. Touchstone), but the pierced heart is absolutely a deal breaker.

Three swords sticking into a heart is the end for me, too! That may be the one card that absolutely, positively can end a deck for me. Other cards I look at are:
- Chariot. I like to see movement
- The Fool. I like to see a good, solid beginning of the Fool's journey.
- All of the wands suit. If I don't like the wands, I probably won't work with the deck.

vger

There are no dealbreaker cards for me. No single bad card can ruin a deck for me; it's the overall quality and feel of the deck that either makes it or breaks it. I can happily tolerate a couple of bad cards if the deck is otherwise great.

Like Nisaba, my favorite cards also depend on the deck. I really don't have any universal favorites, except for the Moon. I prefer my Moon to be eerie, mystical, something that both comforts me and scares me at the same time. Something that both calls me to dive in but at the same time, makes me wonder how deep it's safe to go. BUT, again, if the Moon isn't like that, it's ok if the deck is otherwise ok.

I don't even have any preferences about Death or Tower. I can take it both ways - blunt and honest or gentle and hushed down. Hanged Man hanged from his neck would irk me quite a bit (It just alters the card's meaning way too much! I'm already confused whether I should think of the traditional, historical meaning or the newer, esoteric one!) but I don't know if that would be a dealbreaker, either.

Anyway, as I said, my favorite cards depend on the deck:

- Death in Vision Quest is just plain brilliant. Yes, it's one of those fluffed-down Transformation cards, but it's wonderfully made, the overall feeling in that card is dead on (pun not intended ;)) and it just perfectly fits the theme and mood of the deck - gentle and comforting, yet honest.
- Hanged Man in Tarot of the Sephiroth. The way he's immersed in water, while hanging from his feet, is simply... well... perfect. And certainly doesn't make me wonder how to interpret it this time.
- Empress in Anna K. She shows the "other side" of the Empress - she's not just a pretty girl, she's the fierce, powerful Mother Nature who both creates and destroys.
- The Fool in Visconti Gold. His face is priceless. Nothing could convey dull madness and insanity better than that card.
- The Star in Quest. The most beautiful Star I've ever seen, even more beautiful than the one in Thoth. So peaceful, so soothing, you can see how she's giving hope and comfort where it's most needed, as she pours the water on dry land.

Um... yea... I guess there are more but I'm rambling and digressing, so I'll apologize and shut up. :) It seems my favorite cards are not only ones I think convey the meaning well or are pretty, but ones that give me a different perspective to the card as well.

Aerin

I was thinking of my definition of a dealbreaker card. It would be one which, if it came up, would just make me complain about the card rather than be able to read the card. I wouldn't be able to get my hatred of it into the background for long enough.

So that's why the mermaid in the Alchemical is a dealbreaker.

Cards I'm indifferent to, or don't especially like are fine in an otherwise good deck.

Aerin

2_Journey

Aerin said:
I was thinking of my definition of a dealbreaker card. It would be one which, if it came up, would just make me complain about the card rather than be able to read the card.

That's a good definition. The Sun card in the World Spirit nixed that deck for me. And I was so excited about it I bought two without seeing the whole deck (this is years ago now). I still have the deck, but I can't use it. :(

The Hanged Man in the Buckland Romani is another card that broke a deck for me. A dead rabbit. Ick! I'm a vegan, so something about a dead rabbit hanging there just rubbed me the wrong way, and didn't line up with what I invision as the meaning for the Hanged Man.

SunChariot

Well, I can see how different we all are from our answers. :grin:

For me it's the Death card. Some can really creep me out. My Gaia Tarot that I have wanted for so long and is nearing completion...I am still thinking about if I should get it cause the Death card so creeps me out.

For me, btw, the Moon card much not be creepy of disconcerting. Because the Moon card to me is about romance, romantic feelings...full moon =romance. That is the only general meaning I tend to give it. So I don't want a deck that can only show creepy romantic feelings.

Babs

firefrost

I've never had a single card put me off an entire deck but I must admit I do like the Knight of Swords to look like he's in action.

enchanted spirit

It is interesting, isn't it, that an artist can come up with 77 images that resonate with you, and then have one that leaves you wondering "what the?"
I guess you can't win them all!

I agree that the Fool is an important card. Generally, if I don't like the way it's done I will pass on the deck. The other cards that can really make or break a deck with me are Strength and the Moon. No idea why . . . Also, the courts. Those can be really bad sometimes!

Robin Fariel

No card in particular

There is no one card in particular that would be a deal breaker however-

There have been some decks I was going to buy where, after previewing the entire deck online, one card ended up changing my mind.

Example, Ananda deck. Love the artwork but seeing The Fool totally turned me off the whole thing. I'd have to throw it out of the deck and it's impossible to work without The Fool.

Sophie

Aerin said:
Star. Alchemical. Ugh. All it makes me think is 'ouch'. Actually there are a few cards from that deck I don't much like, but that one finally prevented me from buying.
Wow, that's one of my favourite Star cards - and The Star is one of my dealbreakers! Strange how people of similar culture can react totally differently to the same image.

I must like or at least understand all the cards, but I have a few that have to be really right for me, as far as the symbolism and execution are concerned. On top of The Star, which I mentioned above, the others are:

The High Priestess
The Hierophant
The Empress
The Lovers
Justice
Death
Temperance
The Devil
The Sun

All the aces

All the sevens

Nine of Cups

Three of Coins

I will look at the courts as a whole. I won't disregard a deck if it has one or two I don't like or that don't work for me (no matter how artistically done), but I will reject it if the courts as a whole don't work. Same with a whole suit. For instance, some decks have a wholly negative suit of Swords - I find that useless in readings and contemplation. Though the suit if Swords is challenging, it is often a profitable challenge, and it has a certain amount of helpful cards (ace, 2, 3, 4, 6 - either because they reveal the truth, like the 3 of Swords, or allow us respite from the challenge of truth).