What do YOU do with your extra Magi?

Cassandra022

Ok, so I did a search and did look through old threads about the extra Magi in the 3 Magi edition of the deck, but most of those seem more a discussion of the origins of those (them being rejects, which edition they come in, differences between em) rather than...what people actually do with em, for those that have the deck?

I got this deck particularly because I wanted to have the comparison/choice. The lovely book I have that I also bought to help me along with this deck is pretty firm in the 'those extra two were Crowley's rejects, not legit, do not use' opinion, but well...I dont feel so obliged to blindly follow Crowley's edicts on this, i guess, lol...

Symbolically, I dont really see a difference, same things in each mostly, just differently arranged. Personally, I was just going to choose the one I liked best, but I find its really hard for me to pick between the sideways/purple-bronze magi and the official one...I like the sideways one best overall, but the official has a nice geometric background that speaks to me also. The 8 armed one I really dislike for some reason....

So I think I'm going to keep both of the two I like in the deck for use, and just use mr. 8 arms as a bookmark for my thoth keywords book :0 Kind of how I use both emperors in VRR...

I was wondering, for those who also have the 3 mag version which they use for reading, what did you choose to do?

Pen

I love them all and leave them all in. As I only read for myself it can't affect anyone else, but I find that the Magus rarely comes up anyway.

Pen

Le Fanu

I use the 8-armed Magus. I absolutely love this Magus. It is - for me - by far the best one and I know it wasn't Crowley's first choice, we are supposed to like the standard "golden boy" tip-toe on the surfboard, but I love it much more than the others.

Having the caduceus over his groin, however, it places most of the Magus' upper body above Kether, which just won't do, but I overlook that. I just think it has a shimmering art deco sinuous & sensual beauty about it which I find irresistable. His androgyny, the looming baboon in the darkness. I just find it fabulous.

The others live in the box.

I have quite a few Thoths but the ones I use are the large one which has the standard Magus (though I also have the large 3 Magus 1986 one) and the smaller edition with which I use the 8-armed one.

That Aztec-like 3rd magus is not at all interesting to me and lives in the box somewhere

Pen

I've edited the aberration in my post and the Magus is no longer the Fool. I do think of the very powerful Thoth Fool as a sort of Magus though, which is why (I believe) I slipped up.

And it's funny, because Le Fanu's post mentions the word 'Magus' six times (almost certainly deliberately...:) ), and although I read it at least once, possibly twice, my mistake didn't hit me till I woke up this morning. Hmmmm...

Pen

Frayling0

Le Fanu said:
I use the 8-armed Magus. I absolutely love this Magus. It is - for me - by far the best one and I know it wasn't Crowley's first choice, we are supposed to like the standard "golden boy" tip-toe on the surfboard, but I love it much more than the others.

Having the caduceus over his groin, however, it places most of the Magus' upper body above Kether, which just won't do, but I overlook that. I just think it has a shimmering art deco sinuous & sensual beauty about it which I find irresistable. His androgyny, the looming baboon in the darkness. I just find it fabulous.

The others live in the box.

I have quite a few Thoths but the ones I use are the large one which has the standard Magus (though I also have the large 3 Magus 1986 one) and the smaller edition with which I use the 8-armed one.

That Aztec-like 3rd magus is not at all interesting to me and lives in the box somewhere

I am exactly the same! The eight-armed Magus is the only one of the three I actually find appealing. I like the concept, of omniscience and omnipotence, what with all the extra limbs. The other 2 cards aren't so good...

Grigori

Bookmarks....

fyreflye

Feed them to the cat. He's developed some remarkable powers (and sharper teeth) since I started and can already read simple spreads better than I.

Barleywine

Leave them in the box with the rest of that deck. I use the BIG Thoth cards for reading. Also, it seems easy to see why they didn't make the cut over the one that finally did. Guess they just don't do much for me.