The Book of The Law Study Group 3.24

Aeon418

Grigori said:
I wonder about the order of preference given here. Why is menstrual blood the best of all?
Another reason may be the disproportinate amount of social and religious taboo surrounding menstrual blood and menstruating women. In many cultures throughout history women have been segregated and forbidden to participate in certain activities until her period ended. The biggest single taboo seems to be a prohibition of religious worship on the grounds that a menstruating woman is thought to be "unclean". (See the extract from the book of Leveticus for an example. Indeed that same extract forms part of the argument against female clergy within Roman Catholicism today. Similar sentiments are echoed in other religions and cultures, east and west.)

In this verse R.H.K. appears to be ripping up this age old taboo. Rather than something "unclean", he singles it out as the best.

Grigori

Aeon418 said:
In this verse R.H.K. appears to be ripping up this age old taboo. Rather than something "unclean", he singles it out as the best.

Ah, I like that. Thanks Aeon and clever RHK.

Aeon418

Grigori said:
Ah, I like that. Thanks Aeon and clever RHK.
If you think about it the old taboo is totally consistent with a top heavy emphasis on Patriarchal power and authority. Any potential source of power that fell outside that structure risked demonization. It is possible that, consciously or subconsciously, menstruating women were perceived in this way. Hence the prohibitions against them, especially in Judeo-Christian cultures.

With the advent of the New Aeon the old strictures and taboos are being torn down so that balance can be achieved between masculine and feminine, both within and without. In that context the Aeon of Osiris can be conceived as a temporary training period where certain Isis aspects of humanity were repressed to allow the emerging Osirian aspects to grow and solidify. But it's job is done. Now the "natural balance" can be restored but at a higher octave than before.

It kind of reminds me a of a certain Tarot card swap that gets the traditionalists in a panic. ;) :laugh: The Emperor has served his temporary purpose. The training phase is over. Time to put him back down where he always belonged.

On a different note I'm wondering if the first three types are blood represent the IAO formula. Hmm...

Always Wondering

Aeon418 said:
On a different note I'm wondering if the first three types are blood represent the IAO formula. Hmm...

I was wondering something along these lines. Mercury in Pisces works very well in referring the mind to The Hermit. The Yods on the Moon card seemed to fit as well. Couldn't quite work in the Dragon's blood though.

AW

ravenest

Grigori said:
. Why is menstrual blood the best of all? I would have assumed the mingled fluids of both genders would be preferable. Or if the blood is the life, menstrual blood seems to me to be an indication of life not achieved.
Remindes me of a difference between 9th and 11th deg. Perhaps one of the reasons lies within the process of WHY does a woman menstruate

panpiper

Grigori said:
I wonder about the order of preference given here. Why is menstrual blood the best of all? I would have assumed the mingled fluids of both genders would be preferable. Or if the blood is the life, menstrual blood seems to me to be an indication of life not achieved.

Certain schools of thought hold that menstrual blood is "karma free" or neutral. That is it contains the vital principle (like all blood), but since it wasn't used in the formation of a child, it is free of any SPECIFIC qualities. This makes the ideal, uh, menstruum (solvent) to use in magical operations.

brightcrazystar

Chapter 1:

15. Now ye shall know that the chosen priest & apostle of infinite space is the prince-priest the Beast; and in his woman called the Scarlet Woman is all power given. They shall gather my children into their fold: they shall bring the glory of the stars into the hearts of men.

16. For he is ever a sun, and she a moon. But to him is the winged secret flame, and to her the stooping starlight.

Thus the best blood is of "she a moon" who is the woman of the Beast called the Scarlet Woman - in whom is all power given. This is the blood-covenant of Thelema. This is the "best blood", of the moon monthly.

Aeon418

Just a bit of idle speculation...

I've been thinking about mapping the different blood types onto the Tree of Life to see if it reveals something more esoteric than a cookie recipe. I'm not sure if it leads anywhere though.

Blood of the Moon: Gimel and/or Daleth - The Priestess and/or The Empress.

Blood of a Child: Teth - Lust.

Dropping from the Host of Heaven: Peh - The Tower in it's descending Dove aspect.

Enemies: Samekh - Art. Two opposites blended together. Reconciliation.

The last three I am not sure about at the moment. But the general trend is downwards, so I would guess they would fit on the paths below Peh.

Thoughts?

brightcrazystar

" last of some beast, no matter what."

"Magnificent beasts of women with large limbs, and fire and light in their eyes, and masses of flaming hair about them" or actual animals?

Aeon418

brightcrazystar said:
" last of some beast, no matter what."

"Magnificent beasts of women with large limbs, and fire and light in their eyes, and masses of flaming hair about them" or actual animals?
Possibly both. Tav - The Universe. Beast = the Four Kerubs.

But also Saturn = Binah, the Scarlet Woman.