Thoth deck, swedish titles?

Craxiette

Hello everyone,
I've recently discovered that the Thoth deck is available in Swedish (among other languages). Personally I consider the title of the cards to be the the NAME of the card (not "keywords" or divinatory meanings as some say), so I would not want to use a translated deck myself. However, since swedish is my mother tongue it would be interesting to know what words have been used in the translation, perhaps to get a different perspective of the cards. The problem is, I can't find them anywhere on the internet!

Does anyone have the swedish translation of the Thoth tarot? I am really curious to know what is written on them!

Thanks,
Craxie

Le Fanu

I don't have the Swedish edition but the Thoth - being the success it is - has probably been translated into many languages. I know that there are Portuguese, French, Spanish, German, Dutch, Italian and Swedish versions (certainly Russian too), but I'm sure the translations are fine. I have Spanish and Portuguese versions and the translations are good. Translating one word isn't usually too difficult. It's when you get ambiguous texts that the problems start! I know Portuguese well and I would say the names on the cards are excellent. No deviation from English as far as I'm concerned, in terms of meaning.

Craxiette

Hello Le Fanu!
I suppose it is a matter of personal preference, I don't doubt that there are good translators out there. "Kalle" is the correct and exact translation in Swedish of the name "Charlie" in English. Still, to me they are very different names with very different qualities and associations. There are a few titles that I had to look up in a dictionary to understand the meaning of, but compared to learning the "ocean" of symbols on the cards themselves, that seems like a minor issue... Crowley was an englishman, if he had been Portuguese I would have preferred to have the cards with Portuguese titles, even though I would have had to look them all up in a dictionary :)

Craxiette

Thanks to Storm82 for sending me the swedish titles. They are very interesting indeed! :)