Thoth "Typographical Error"???

Oink

however <hijack warning> I sigh every time I look at that Hanged Man's foot.
Same. It is a "quirk" I'm not sure I'll ever grow to love.

Aeon418

Whether he encouraged this or insisted upon it is not certain, but in any event, he did not request the 'correct' spelling.
Whether he requested the 'correct' spelling or not is unknown because we don't have Crowley's reply to Harris' letter dated 11th May 1941.

Ross G Caldwell

Speaking of typographical errors, is the manuscript of the Book of Thoth still extant?

I ask because I was in a debate a few years ago with someone who was convinced that the line on page 117 - "All reality is consequently compromised in the series of which these two letters form the beginning and the end" - was a "blind" showing that Crowley used AThBaSh to solve the Tzaddi-Star riddle or whatever.

My position was, and is, that the expression "compromised in the series" makes nonsense in English, and is probably an error for "is comprised in the series..."

Only the manuscript could clear it up.

Aeon418

Speaking of typographical errors, is the manuscript of the Book of Thoth still extant?
It is still extant. There was an original typescript, complete with Crowley's hand written annotations, for sale on the Weiser Antiquarian website not so long ago.

Unfortunately my pockets were not deep enough. :(

Barleywine

I ask because I was in a debate a few years ago with someone who was convinced that the line on page 117 - "All reality is consequently compromised in the series of which these two letters form the beginning and the end" - was a "blind" showing that Crowley used AThBaSh to solve the Tzaddi-Star riddle or whatever.

My position was, and is, that the expression "compromised in the series" makes nonsense in English, and is probably an error for "is comprised in the series..."

Only the manuscript could clear it up.

I also saw that apparent aberration; I read it as "comprised" and kept on reading. "Compromised" means having to concede or "arbitrate away" something in the process, and implies a level of cynicism about the nature of reality that I didn't think even Crowley had attained. It does make a tantalizing basis for argument (i.e the concept of entropy, or the degradation of the matter and energy in the universe to an ultimate state of inert uniformity), but I couldn't see my way clear to tie it to the Tzaddi-Star debate. And the appended phrase "in the series of which" makes absolutely no sense in this alternative interpretation.

Barleywine

I believe the spelling was intentional ... however <hijack warning> I sigh every time I look at that Hanged Man's foot.

NOW you've got me curious! The one with the spike or the one playing footsie with the serpent? And, as my niece used to say as a very young child (with perfectly circular logic and answering her own question with her mother's invariable response) "Whycuz?"

<hands Nicky the keys> Drive on!

Laura Borealis

I'm curious too. Which foot? Both look kinda funky. :confused:
So do the hands. Like circles with skinny fingers sticking out.

Debra

It becomes clear if you arrange your own footsies like his (you don't have to hang upside down).

RLG

Whether he requested the 'correct' spelling or not is unknown because we don't have Crowley's reply to Harris' letter dated 11th May 1941.

Dwtw

Correction: I should have said that IF he requested the correct spelling, such a request was obviously ignored. Judging from the way he micromanaged the project, I suspect that he never requested the spelling be changed.

Is there a reason for this? Perhaps. Spelling Abracadabra with a Chet instead of a Heh would result in a value of 421 instead of 418, and may relate to Hadit equaling 421, as noted in the old comment:

"AL I,16: "For he is ever a sun, and she a moon. But to him is the winged secret flame, and to her the stooping starlight."

The Old Comment

15. In II, 16, we find that HAD is to be taken as 11 (see II, 16, comment). Then Hadit = 421, Nuit = 466.

421 - 3 (the moon) = 418
466 + 200 (sun) = 666

These are the two great numbers of the Qabalistic system that enabled me to interpret the signs leading to this revelation.The winged secret flame is Hadit; the stooping starlight is Nuit; these are their true natures, and their functions in the supreme ritual referred to above."

Thus if we include the Moon (ruler of Cancer) as Gimel = 3 to the card of Cancer/Chariot/Chet/Abrahadabra/418, we get 421 = Abracadabra = Hadit

Litlluw
RLG

Laura Borealis

It becomes clear if you arrange your own footsies like his (you don't have to hang upside down).

There's the thing with the toes going the wrong way on the foot that crosses over -- I'm guessing that's what you all mean. And the knee joint looks all wrong. Nobody's leg could do that. But the other foot also looks weird, like a fist. I almost want to see "LOVE" or "WILL" tattooed across the knuckles.