Any thoughts on "Virtue"

Abrac

Interesting subject indeed. It is a bit puzzling to see what connection Virtue has with the 3/W.

My Encarta Dictionary lists one usage of the word which it classifies as "archaic."

7. effective force: the power, or efficacy, that something contains to do something (archaic).

This could be one possbile explanation for the title, Virtue, on this card.

-fof

Rosanne

I see Virtue as maybe 'right conduct' and the three of Wands representing leading the way by our own example. For example if we preach something that we are not doing, who would believe us? So I see it as a card of demonstrating as well: maybe leadership. Interesting thinking about the use of words like Virtue eh? Thanks for the contemplation fof ~Rosanne

wizzle

I don't see Crowley stray very far from the GD ideas for the minors. The GD title for the card is "Lord of Established Strength." What Crowley adds, for the threes is the combination of the title of the GD card with it's manifestation in Binah. Thus, he associates Established Strength as manifesting as Virtue. His discussions of the other threes are consistent with this point of view. The quality of the elements manifest and stablize in Binah.

However, he makes a distinction between manifestation in Binah versus manifestation in Chesed, which is below the abyss.

Also, Crowley uses all of the GD astrological associations for the minors. He just adds his bit.

rachelcat

fools_fool said:
My Encarta Dictionary lists one usage of the word which it classifies as "archaic."

7. effective force: the power, or efficacy, that something contains to do something (archaic).

Yes, I'm sure this meaning of virtue is at least part of the appropriateness of that title to this card.

To me 3s mean "Form," as in Chochmah = Force and Binah = Form. Wands = energy, so 3 Wands = the form energy takes = movement, change.

(Ack, now we're getting into 2 Coins!! You see why I don't like keywords/titles!)

How do you SEE energy? By the movement or change it causes. (My husband teaches 8th grade science. I'm thinking there's "potential energy," and then the ball rolls down the inclined plane . . .)

I have struggled with this card. Thanks for all the other ideas in this thread. I like the idea of "do the right thing," bringing together action and morality meanings of virtue.

Lillie

There is a way of using the word 'virtue' that has nothing to do with morals.

ie.
I am in charge of this situation by virtue of my greater knowledge.

You can beat the crap out of me by virtue of your black belt in karate.

siouxj73

I have to confess that I picked up the Thoth for the first time yesterday, but thought I would weigh into this discussion anyway.

If you pick up some of the older tomes of Knightly adventures (such as the Arthurian legends) you will find plenty of descriptions of "virtuous knights". This doesn't mean they were virtuous in the same way we would see it today. It meant that they did what they needed to do for the crown (ie society at large.) So I think Roseanne has a point about the meaning of Virtue in this instance being more about right action - bravery in the face of fear, purity of heart and inner strength that allows you to perform in the way that you know is correct no matter the outcome.

BB

sioux.

Aeon418

I'm still convinced that Crowley's use of the word 'Virtue' points toward action. The astrological attribution of Sol in Aries practically shouts action. Spring time !!! :D

If there had been room on the card I reckon it would have said, "Do what thou wilt", with the emphasis on the 'Do'.

Grigori

I stumbled across a great Crowley quote (which I have promptly lost so will have to paraphrase) in which he says the word "Virtue" is etymologically related to the word "Virility". That makes sense in the context of the 3 of Wands.

catlin

Guess he is playing with the latin word "vir" for man and latin "virtitudinis" (sp??) similar to English "virtue".

Aeon418

Virtue (Greek αρετη; Latin virtus) is moral excellence of a man or a woman. A virtue is a character trait valued as being good. The conceptual opposite of virtue is vice.

The Greek word αρετη (arete) has not come into ordinary English. The English word virtue is derived from the Latin word virtus which is in turn from vir/viris meaning man in the masculine sense. The word virtus means the male function conceived in terms of strength or force; hence the power to accomplish. [The different Latin word vis/vis means simply power; ancient grammarians were unable to distinguish the two words.] Cf. Ernout-Meillet, Dictionnaire étymologique de la langue latine: Histoire des mots.

Due to ancient social norms and these linguistic subtleties, virtus was sometimes identified with the masculine warlike virtues such as courage. This has sometimes led to a sense of irony concerning the supposed etymology. In English the word virtue is often used to refer to a woman's chastity. As the philosopher Leo Strauss expresses it, "The mystery of Western thought is how a term that originally meant the manliness of a man came to mean the chastity of a woman."
I think we can safely lay the blame for the mystery of Virtue at the door of Christianity. Crowley was very much aware of the etymology of the word and used it in it's original sense, Virtus/Vir/Viris - 3 of Wands ~ Sol in Aries.