1232 cards in a deck

Zephyros

I came upon an interesting point in DuQuette's book yesterday where he suggested that in a "complete" deck there would not be 78 cards, but rather 1232 cards, 22 times 56. Each Major holds withing it an "entire world" including the "earthly" facets of the Minors. He goes on to quote from the BoT (I however, could not find this passage in it, although the notes say it is on page 189):

The Three of Discs belonging to the High Priestess or the Lovers might represent the establishment of an oracle like that of Delphi. The Hieophant's Three of Discs might point to the construction of a cathedral. The Tower's Three of Discs perhaps indicating the massing of a standing army. The ideas such pairings evoke can be an infinite source of mediation, and an invaluable exercise for anyone wishing to use the cards for divination.

This is intriguing, and I had to think about this for a while before I went on. I'm thinking of sitting down and writing down what each of the pairings makes me think of, it could be, as Crowley says, a fascinating exercise, but not one that could be finished quickly, that's for sure.

Any thoughts?

AJ

Absolutely.
Pick a word.
Death
Hunger
Beautiful.

Then go through your deck of cards. You can tie each word to each card.
Great mental exercise and help pry one out of the keyword box.

rachelcat

That's a great idea for a study program or IDS.

It would also work well reading with the "Oldest Spread," where you end up with a series of major-minor pairs.

http://marygreer.wordpress.com/2008/04/03/the-oldest-spread-by-le-comte-de-m/

I've been reading each pair as a kind of sentence. But this intriguing idea gives the pairs a different slant. Can't wait to get out my cards and give it a try!

Aeon418

(I however, could not find this passage in it, although the notes say it is on page 189)
Book of Thoth page 189
Each Atu possesses it's own private, personal and particular Universe, with Demiourgos (and all the rest) complete, just as every man and every woman does.