Good quality RWS deck?

Siochanai

Just amazing thank you for that picture LRichard.

Bhavana

I think the PCS deck is gorgeous - and the cardstock is so wonderful.

You might also look for a vintage RWS deck, one that is pre-1975 - they come up on ebay all the time, and can often be found for the same price a new deck would be, and in excellent condition. Look at the pictures the seller puts up and check to see if there is a copyrite symbol next to the title on the box (you don't want one there) and then check the cards, the cards should be copyrite free as well. I find that these early 70's decks have the nicest cardstock.

You could also look for USGames China and Belgium printings of the RWS, from several years back. The China printings especially seem to have a much nicer cardstock than the flimsy glossy printed in Italy decks being sold today.

Barleywine

I wouldn't call it exactly tea-stained, just sort of creamy white (depending on the lighting), not at all unnatural looking. I wasn't sure that I was going to like it, but it's easily my all time favorite. (The attachment is an unretouched scan.)

Agreed, the background coloring is much nicer than a stark white. I was concerned because I've seen new decks with artificially applied blobs and blotches that are supposed to look like "accidents of use" that add character (but at least there are no coffee-cup rings :)). I'm perfectly capable of adding my own "character!"

Siochanai

Thanks I may look for an older one in time. I just don't understand why they would sacrifice quality like this. I would much rather them charge more for a deck then give me chemical smelling thin paper.

ann823

If you like the Universal but can't stand the plastic, it's quite easy to find the older printed in Belgium version on ebay or Amazon. Its the one with the little boy and a bird on one side and the Queen of pentacles on the other. The cardstock is much better and I got mine not too long ago for about $10 total.

Bhavana

If you like the Universal but can't stand the plastic, it's quite easy to find the older printed in Belgium version on ebay or Amazon. Its the one with the little boy and a bird on one side and the Queen of pentacles on the other. The cardstock is much better and I got mine not too long ago for about $10 total.

wow, wasn't aware of this --- will have to keep an eye out for it.

Alpha-Omega

If you want a good version of the Rider Waite, I would suggest finding a pre-us games copyright deck. The ones printed in the 80's and 70's They have good card stock and a matte finish.

Winterchild

Rw deck

I was going to ask the same question! I almost ordered the original Rider Waite deck.... in the blue box... is this not a goody? It has the nice backs but whats the cardstock like? Anyone know?

Alpha-Omega

I was going to ask the same question! I almost ordered the original Rider Waite deck.... in the blue box... is this not a goody? It has the nice backs but whats the cardstock like? Anyone know?

You found a Blue Box rider deck? that is the one published in England by Rider Co. I do not have one so I cant judge but it is like or if not the same as the pre-usgames copyright deck.

Winterchild

Reissue....

You found a Blue Box rider deck? that is the one published in England by Rider Co. I do not have one so I cant judge but it is like or if not the same as the pre-usgames copyright deck.

Sorry to get you excited...it is a new reissue, in the blue box with the original back design... :( I just wondered what the cardstock was like. It is on Amazon.

I just ordered the PCS set as they seem to be getting hard to find. Book Depository had none and Amazon wanted a fortune for shipping!