What's the Difference?

Midnite

Can someone please explain to me the difference between the Standard, Original, Universal and Radiant Rider-Waite decks? I thought I knew, but after doing some research today I am finding conflicting information everywhere!

Thanks in advance :)

Richard

The Universal and Radiant are artists' copies of the RWS. The Standard and Original are (as far as I know) essentially photocopies of earlier editions of RWS. My personal favorite (and that of many others) is the Smith-Waite Centennial, which is included in the PCS Commemorative Set.

Midnite

Thanks for your reply. What I mean is there is a distinct colour difference, and other subtle differences, between each deck that I'd like to know about so I can differentiate between all 4 decks.

bogiesan

Thanks for your reply. What I mean is there is a distinct colour difference, and other subtle differences, between each deck that I'd like to know about so I can differentiate between all 4 decks.

That's a complicated question. Hanson-Roberts did almost no alteration but she enhanced many subtle lfeatures that had been muddled and muddied up in what seem to be generations of photreproductions of reproductions. There are at least four distinctly colored versions of the original Waite-Smith available on the market now.

Some of the other redrawn clones have dramatic changes to the colorations and, in the case of the Albano-Waite, changes to the designes of swords and pentacles.

Most such questions can be researched online; you can, with a bit of effort, find sites that have complete scans of the decks and several sites that run side-by-side comparisons of sample cards. AT rarely posts links to sites that have complete scans in an effort to help protect the copyright holders.

Can you elaborate on what features or palette you wish to have in a RWS deck? That might give us a better idea where to send you to help your research.

rwcarter

Can someone please explain to me the difference between the Standard, Original, Universal and Radiant Rider-Waite decks? I thought I knew, but after doing some research today I am finding conflicting information everywhere!

It would help if you provided an example of what you're talking about. Apparently you thought you knew of one difference between the decks but have since learned that wasn't the case. If you can tell us what that was we might be better able to help you.

And what are you considering to be the "Standard" Rider Waite - the yellow box from US Games?

One difference I can think of is that neither the Universal nor Radiant will have the PCS initials in the art as they weren't drawn by Pamela Colman Smith.

Midnite

Ok, I am interested in these 4 deck variations only, not the others. Here is what I understood the differences to be -

Standard - a very "yellow" deck with harsh black outlines. The backs of the cards are like a black and white checkered tartan design. The title of the card at the bottom has a grey background. I know the mini and giant RW are based on this design.

Original - the colours are slightly different with more dull greens and creams. The title of the card at the bottom has a cream/brown background. Same thick black outlines as the standard deck. The backs of the cards are a sky blue and white flower design.

Universal - a more detailed picture and softer outlines. The backs of the cards are dark blue with stars. This is what I believe to be my most favourite deck as the illustrations are better and clearer in my opinion.

Radiant - brilliant bright pictures. More modern looking. After looking amongst my decks, I have realised I don't own this deck after all and can't give anymore information on it.

I apologise for my crude descriptions! I am not sure if I have the above right. I have Googled but still haven't found the answer - each site says something different. I can't spend too much time online Googling as I have a medical condition that is similar to photosensitive epilepsy.

Also, now I am getting confused between Rider-Waite and Rider-Waite-Smith. Which is which? All the decks I have previously mentioned have the signature in the card.

Tarot dance

This site has helped me immensely in my continuing research of the R/W/S decks ...especially in identifying decks….

Holly’s Rider-Waite Page

http://home.comcast.net/~vilex/

The site below has lots of information on the R/W/S clones….there is a section comparing re-coloring and close redrawings, theme and art twist/ It’s an awesome site with LOTS of information……….

The Collection of Decks: a Picture is Worth a 1,000 Words…

http://www.autumnalwind.com/joan/tarot1000words.htm

Also...

The Joan Bunnings site actually compares R/W/S decks side by side…

http://www.learntarot.com/deckcomp.htm

Hope this helps.....

danieljuk

I have the RWS and Radiant tarot. The Radiant adds new colour to the deck but all the basic pictures are the same, just new colours! brighter! It's claimed that it brings new insight to the deck because there might be things you haven't seen before. I've seen negative comments and reviews about it because it seems to actually lose the original message of the cards.

I quite like the radiant deck but prefer the RWS still!

the names are all the same!

from wikipedia on RWS:-

Other suggested names for this deck include the Rider-Waite-Smith, Waite-Smith, Waite-Colman Smith or simply the Rider deck. The cards were drawn by illustrator Pamela Colman Smith from the instructions of academic and mystic A. E. Waite, and published by the Rider Company

Midnite

This site has helped me immensely in my continuing research of the R/W/S decks ...especially in identifying decks….

Holly’s Rider-Waite Page

http://home.comcast.net/~vilex/

The site below has lots of information on the R/W/S clones….there is a section comparing re-coloring and closets redrawings, theme and art twist/ It’s an awesome site with LOTS of information……….

The Collection of Decks: a Picture is Worth a 1,000 Words…

http://www.autumnalwind.com/joan/tarot1000words.htm

Also...

The Joan Bunnings site actually compares R/W/S decks side by side…

http://www.learntarot.com/deckcomp.htm

Hope this helps.....

Thank you kindly Tarot dance! I will check these links out now :)

I have the RWS and Radiant tarot. The Radiant adds new colour to the deck but all the basic pictures are the same, just new colours! brighter! It's claimed that it brings new insight to the deck because there might be things you haven't seen before. I've seen negative comments and reviews about it because it seems to actually lose the original message of the cards.

I quite like the radiant deck but prefer the RWS still!

the names are all the same!

from wikipedia on RWS:-

Quote:
Other suggested names for this deck include the Rider-Waite-Smith, Waite-Smith, Waite-Colman Smith or simply the Rider deck. The cards were drawn by illustrator Pamela Colman Smith from the instructions of academic and mystic A. E. Waite, and published by the Rider Company

Thanks so much danieljuk! :)