Just bought the Thoth deck, Please help

Alpha-Omega

Ok so i gave in and Bought the Thoth deck. I have to say its very new and Strange and my head is spining. My deck Came with 3 versions of the Magus. So i am i supose to use all 3 or just 1.

Any tips for this deck? I am A Rider Waite deck person so this is Very new

Lillie

Pick the magus you like best, put the other two back in the box.

Then, just use the deck.
There will be a LWB with the deck, read the card meanings, compare them to what you already know. See what is the same and what is different.

Do readings with the Thoth, see how they come out.

Look at the cards, think about the pictures, see what the images suggest to you.

It's just another deck. Do the same as you would for any deck.
Use it, get to know it, see if you get on.

thinbuddha

The three Magus cards are "extras" that only come with some editions, not all, of this deck. Ilke Lillie says- you should pick the one that you like best. The "official" version is the one that looks like he is tip-toeing on a surf board.

There is a really nice book to introduce this deck- sort of a "Thoth Tarot for Dummies" that's called "Understanding Crowley's Thoth Tarot". I reccomend it highly for anyone who really wants to learn this deck, but doesn't know much about Crowley's system.

The "Book of Thoth" is a bit too esoteric to jump into without first reading "Understanding....."

Lillie

No! I learned the Thoth with first the LWB, and then the Book of Thoth.

I still havn't read any of the others.

Alpha-Omega

Thx for ur help :)

Aeon418

Tips:

Just use one magus. The yellow juggler type guy is the official card. But if you want to use one of the others that's up to you.

Lust and The Aeon are equivalent to the old cards called Strength and Judgement, but their meaning in the Thoth deck is slightly different. Search the forums. ;)

When it comes to the minor cards don't let your self be hemmed in by those Rider-Waite images that are bound to be stuck in your head. Just look at the keyword at the bottom of the card, look at the colours and the way the symbols are placed, think about the number of the card, what does it all suggest ...... and then let your intuition do the rest. It's not as hard as it sounds.

Have fun :)

Lillie

Yeah, Have fun.

It does not have to be some big serious thing that is oh so difficult.

Just try them out, use them and see how you get on.

Alpha-Omega

I picked The Magus with that has Many hands, I like that one cause it shows his Mulitii tasking ability, His knowlege, Has many skills,

I have to get use to the Thoth, The deck smells and it makes me dizzy

Lillie

What does it smell of?

Did you get a new one, or a second hand one?

Actually, what size did you get?

If it is second hand, and it some sort of 'previous owner' type smell, then there are a few things that can be done.
I have a very old one that smelled musty. I wafted it through insence, that sort of thing.
You can also put smelly herbs, like lavender, in a bag with the cards, and replace the old smell with a new one of your choosing.

Weird, isn't it, having something that smells of the previous owner.
It's a bit... icky.
Smell is such a deeply rooted thing in our subconcious minds, primal.

Also there are various spiritual cleansing things too.
But if the smell is a physical, actual smell, then it should be dealt with in a practical way.

Alpha-Omega

Its Brand new, The smell is of the Ink i guess. I size, hmm
2 3/4" x 4 3/8"