Traps in the Thoth Deck?

Polydeuces

Greets - it's been awhile since I've checked in on this forum, and I have to say I'm really impressed!

I've been studying & reading with the Thoth deck for four years. People have said colloquially that AC left some traps in there. Just curious from the more experienced & scholarly where those might lie.

All the blessings!

ravenest

What do they mean by 'traps' ?

Traps are in the reading not the deck.

http://books.google.com.au/books?id...d=0CD0Q6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=tarot traps&f=false

(Its rather pathetic that 'other sites' have to quote and comment on this " We think the discussion is quite unoriginal and boring." Not as boring as an empty discussion with no content that is about another discussion that are supposedly boring - what does this site do ? Go around reading other sites and commenting on them ... cant you think up your own ideas for a site Omgili ? )

Richard

.....I've been studying & reading with the Thoth deck for four years. People have said colloquially that AC left some traps in there. Just curious from the more experienced & scholarly where those might lie......
Now you've got me curious. Why would Crowley leave traps in the Thoth? What traps?

Zephyros

Well, it certainly isn't safe. One day, you're buying a deck to spite someone who told you to stay away from it, next thing you know you're a devil-worshipping, sex-crazed, occult-wielding crazy person having wild magickal orgies into the night, and saying thanks to a Star Goddess during... well, during happy fun time.

Or am I projecting a bit too much?

seedcake

Well, it certainly isn't safe. One day, you're buying a deck to spite someone who told you to stay away from it, next thing you know you're a devil-worshipping, sex-crazed, occult-wielding crazy person having wild magickal orgies into the night, and saying thanks to a Star Goddess during... well, during happy fun time.

Or am I projecting a bit too much?

I want to get this deck one day so don't tell that openly what I'm going to do after using it. I think many people would agree with me. Don't spoil the surprise.

3ill.yazi

See, and I thought it resulted in you playing D&D in you parents basement listening to Hawkwind.

ravenest

Can I come around to your place next time you have one of your 'Tarot parties' ? :)

Zephyros

Jokes about masturbation aside, I think that the Thoth does have certain traps, but not in the traditional sense. It obviously involves a certain kind of study, as well as inviting thought experiments and a less formal and traditional experiential learning process. Taken strictly intellectually Thelema is a study in freedom; what it is, how it manifests, when it is truly present and when it is an illusion, the factors that increase or decrease it and many other facets of its definition. Distilled, the Thoth's agenda is liberty and the sanctity of the human experience, and that is all it conveys, but it doesn't tell you how you should manifest that privilege.

Studying it one cannot help but ponder the nature of that freedom, which invites all sorts of other things, like questioning how one could take advantage of the entirety of one's faculties, what is one's basic essence when all extraneous influence is removed, what in life is truly important and what is your own version of a security blanket and many other directions of thought and self-realization.

In that sense the Thoth is as subversive and as dangerous as any revolutionary propaganda, far more even, since it encourages independence, critical thinking, individuality, self reliance and boundless exploration of the self. Were I a dictator it would be among the first things I would ban. On the other hand, if I were a revolutionary I would probably shun it as representative of the decadence of the dictator I was seeking to overthrow.

And the best thing is that you know you're being seduced, yet you go along with it of your own free will and then ask for more!