THE ENGLISH LENORMAND. Mary Greer

rylla

I find this book (Kindle edition) on Amazon and wondering what do you think about it. Is it a good book for learning new things about the GT?

Thanks!

Penthasilia

It doesn't go into the grand tableau, or usage of the lenormand cards in general for that matter.

What is it good for?

I goes into the meanings found on the old coffee ground cards as well as the ideas behind the cards in the Game of Hope (the oldest 36 card "lenormand" found at this time).

I bought it, and absolutely love it- but for me it allowed a better understanding of the meanings of the cards themselves, from a perspective of the old time meanings found with coffee grounds for the Letter, Ring, etc. It gives a layer of depth to the meanings- and more importantly shows how the Lenormand deck may have started as coffee ground cards which formed a hybrid with playing cards.

:)

rylla

Thank you Pen!

Le Fanu

Is there any evidence that the coffee grains and Lenormand symbols are connected? I have difficulty imagining it to be the case. I don't know why. It's just that most symbols are pretty universal ones - house, dog, ship - you'd presumably also find them in Dream Dictionaries if you looked. You'd also find them in old emblem books too.

I haven't worked out what I think about coffee grains versus Lenormand. Still thinking...

Penthasilia

Is there any evidence that the coffee grains and Lenormand symbols are connected? I have difficulty imagining it to be the case. I don't know why. It's just that most symbols are pretty universal ones - house, dog, ship - you'd presumably also find them in Dream Dictionaries if you looked. You'd also find them in old emblem books too.

I haven't worked out what I think about coffee grains versus Lenormand. Still thinking...

It seems to be the case. The cards they found in the book were cards based on "coffee ground" readings that were made into cards for easier transport and use. The emblems look suspiciously like the Lenormand deck. I think it is a good book to have if you are into the history of how the lenormand evolved- but the coffee ground meanings and lenormand meanings are very similar, and this book seems to be a "missing link" between the two. :)

Oddly enough- the ONLY card not depicted in any of the old coffee ground research has been the Book. Wonder why it gets the rap of being mysterious???!!! :p

tarot heart

For what it's worth I agree with Le Fanu. I don't think this book is proof positive that the symbols are connected. I think it's a stretch to say the connection is definitive. A good deal more research needs to be done in order to say the hypothesis is true.

When Rae Hepburn did the Tea Leaf Oracle, many symbols/emblems were in her deck, yet no one said they were connected to Lenormand. I truly believe that tea leaf/coffee grain readings were separate from the Lenormand cards.

Tag_jorrit

If you want to understand the GT, Iris Treppner's course is excellent. Absolutely excellent. You can find it here. This site is in German but her course is available in English and German. You can also find a wealth of information (in English) about the GT, other spreads, meanings and a lot more here.

Both of these sites offer the very best information on the Lenormand currently available in English.

tarot heart

Lenormand does not have an English tradition. I am very suspicious of this English interpretation. I would find it much more interesting if I knew it was an English translation of a French or German book, but there is no indication that this is a translation of anything.

You know what they say about not believing everything you read...