Source for Moakley's book ?

Annabelle

How was I not aware of this book before now?

My local university library doesn't have a copy, but quite a few other libraries in Texas seem to have it, according to WorldCat (though who knows if those copies are really there; things /do/ tend to walk out of library stacks with some frequency).

I just put in an interlibrary loan request for the book; we shall see if a copy can be found for loan or not.

My hopes were briefly raised when I got a search match for what looked like a digitized copy, but as it turns out, that was just for a very short review, and not for the book itself.

gregory

That's probably where I saw the Magician...

I tried interlibrary loan from our local library, and it didn't come up :(

SO said oh just buy it. He didn't say whether he would PAY for it... :D

kwaw

I have it and would sell it -- but I don't trust the post from Turkey - and a cargo firm such as DHL from here would make it ridiculously expensive. (Had to send my passport back in January to be renewed and the cheapest cargo firm (not DHL) was 97tl - about 30+ pound then (about 26 at today's exchange rate).

(I also have a ton of stuff in a friends attic back in the UK which has been there for the last 7 years -- wishing I'd got rid of them before moving here now -- but just couldn't bear to part with them at the time and had a vague hope that I'd get them over here somehow. If/when I get back for a while I hope to sell some of it off on ebay or such, if I have sufficient time -- some of them are rare now and fetch quite a high price.)

gregory

I will help you with the ebaying if you cut me a deal on the book... :D

Annabelle

Interlibrary loan came through for me! :D

I now have my hands on a copy for a few weeks. It is a very slender tome, and a fair number of pages are just photos of cards. I would say that I'm surprised it would ever command a price of over $100, but on the other hand, it is hard to come by, and scarcity drives up prices.

Chrystella

How was I not aware of this book before now?

Right? I had never heard of this book and today I hear about it twice! First, here. Second, I'm reading jmd's book "Reading the Marseille Tarot" and he mentions it in the chapter on La Papesse. Well, that's a sign from the universe. Off to the library on Friday.

gregory

I caved. I have it now and I am delighted with it. (4 days from the US to the UK !!!!)

It was a good price they offered, and the chance may not come up again. There were only 500 (I think) copies printed, Annabelle - so as a limited edition, the price will rocket - pity Kaplan never did reprint !)

Pen

I have one with a signed dedication by Gertrude herself :)