Tarot Plain and Simple

magicmadrigal

This is a great book for learning tarot especially if you are using Robin Woods deck.

I also love Robin's book as well, but Plain and Simple is just as it says.

MagicMadrigal

quan_yin

I have this book and I think there are much better ones out there

Hi,

I have this book, "Tarot Plain and Simple." Maybe it's me but I don't really like it very much. It seems very judgemental, especially of people. Of all the books I have, I use this one the least, and I don't always glean much from it when I do.

Just my two cents. I think there are better ones out there.

Madonna

I have this book & it is a good book but *Tarot Reversals * is so much better.

lili

I have this book and i like it. i used it a lot when i was doing one card a day readings because it has key words

Jenny-Li

Hi!

I have this book, it was one of the first I bought, and at the time I thought it was really good, and I still like the introduction chapters, because he sort of brought Tarot down to earth, writing about reading Tarot in a very sound and "Earthy" way: the process, the getting started, etc.

The card presentation is, in my opinion, a bit too sketchy and limiting. I suppose that's to make it "plain and simple" - I'm reading 78 degrees of wisdom right now, and that is NOT plain and simple - would I have gotten that one instead of Tarot Plain and Simple when I was a beginner, I might very well have decided that Tarot isn't for me...! So for a beginner, I think it's a great book, perhaps for someone who has got the deck out of curiosity, and might not know a great deal about what Tarot is. But I think it might be a book to let go of once you're moving along the Tarot-journey.

Light and love,
Jenny - eagerly waiting for the Robin Wood-book to arrive, hope it's as good as you guys say it is! :)

aeonx

I bought this book some time ago, but I've never opened it. I guess it's too late now, since I'm studying 78' of Wisdom. *l* No, I guess I have to read through it at least.

Jenny-Li: I think the 78DW is the best tarot book I've ever read. I understood more of what tarot really is, from reading the introduction, than I did reading the lousy tarot book of Jane Lyle -for one year-!

~aeonx~

Jenny-Li

aeonx said:

Jenny-Li: I think the 78DW is the best tarot book I've ever read. I understood more of what tarot really is, from reading the introduction, than I did reading the lousy tarot book of Jane Lyle -for one year-!

~aeonx~

Oh - don misunderstand me now; I think the 78 DW is great, but it AIN'T plain and simple!

It's not a book that I read just for leisure, because it's quite demanding. Maybe it's my English giving me a hard time again, no matter how interesting I find the book I have to read it paragraph by paragraph, more or less...! Plus, it approaches Tarot from a historical and symbolical angle - which is exactly what I have been looking for, but it also makes the text a lot more complicated.

Hm, or maybe I'm just a lazy reader...?

Light and love,
Jenny :)

aeonx

Jenny-Li: I agree with you, it ain't exactly plain or simple. 78DW has helped my tarot understanding tremendously! Before Amazon, I had no clue how much tarot really is! :D I work in a Multimedia shop/Bookstore, and the only tarot books we have (biggest store in the city!) are the most superficial and silly ones.

I got rid of the Lyle book right after I received the 78DW! And I never recommend it to anybody (even though the other yell at me for it :p )! I just can't say to a person that I like something I don't, even if the others tell me it's my job. We have different opinions on what good service is, I think...

~aeonx~

MystiqueMoonlight

The J Bunnings book and online course is very good for beginners. It gives you quite a comprehensive lesson in the Tarot.

The online course is free and can be downloaded so that you don't have to get onto the web to use it. It is broken into lessons with small assignments to complete at the end of each lesson to help you grasp the information you have just studied.

I have read Rachel Pollack's book which accompanies the Haindl deck. Someone told me it is like 78 DW plus vol2 because it dedicates half of it to the Haindl deck specifically. I don't know if that is true as I have not seen 78DW.

You may also want to check out
www.rglobal.net/user/nodntap/

for another source of online lessons.

Also www.kenaz.com/resources/tarot.htm

Blessed be

Emily

After my posting on 'Tarot Plain and Simple' a few months ago, and ordering from Amazon then cancelling the order, - I saw it on holiday a couple of weeks ago and bought it. I should have bought this book months ago, although its not the official book to the Robin Wood and could be used with any R/W clone, it does seem to have opened this deck up for me.
I've posted often on my inability to read with the Robin Wood but after reading through this book my readings seem to be getting clearer.
I like the style of the book and the fact that it uses detailed reversals, which I have just started to read with. It gives a few spreads to use and all in all its a good informative book, its fast becoming my favourite. :)