The Tarot Playbook - HIGHLY recommended

firefrost

Pipistrelle is more "fun" and gets you right into your deck almost by accident.

Couldn't have put it better myself. No matter how I try, I find actually studying the cards extremely tedious. There's no studying involved with Pipistrelle's book, you read what she has to say about the cards, laugh at her humour and realise how much fun it is to do the exercises.

I had a couple of books I related to as my 'tarot bibles'. Now I have three! :D

marimorimo

The two are VERY different. The Playbook you don't actually READ - you get to know your cards. Hard to explain - but for instance - piling and sorting all 7 cards to decide who did a murder - well, Mary Greer doesn't do anything like that !

I have both and Mary Greer is VERY interesting - Pipistrelle is more "fun" and gets you right into your deck almost by accident.

Mary has actually commented on it in this very thread !

http://www.tarotforum.net/showpost.php?p=3145994&postcount=6

Thanks a lot for the explanation. An activity to find out the murderer! That sounds right up my alley :D I think I have to bump up this book on my wish list immediately.

gregory

Also you can build your superhero....

I don't like the one where you plan how to gift away your cards though. Even metaphorically. It scares me :laugh:

firefrost

I don't like the one where you plan how to gift away your cards though. Even metaphorically. It scares me :laugh:

Okay, I'll grudgingly give you that...

shadowdancer

Well, I have two weeks free due to school holidays kicking in. It is cold and winter here, so no excuse for not huddling up with a new deck and this workbook.

I have already followed a couple of exercises, and have a few more planned for the next 14 days. The bonding with your deck was a nice wee spread. Not too drawn out where you lose the will to live, but neither was it too short, where you were left feeling short changed. Bascially, my kinda spread. :)
Yes, I am now in a relationship with my zombies. It has officially started, and they will be the deck for the exercises. My fiancee knows about them and is fine with it all - honest. They come to bed with us, but are not allowed to cross the line between bedside cabinet and pillow. A nice status quo for sure :D

I have used Eastenders for the unfolding of the storyline exercise. Three characters have each had 3 cards drawn for a) what b) why and c) what is going to unfold. Sadly we are 2 months behind here in NZ, so the stories have already occurred. I must be strong and not take a peek at wikipedia to find out....lol

So, yes - this book is fun. My zombies will be creating their own super hero tomorrow, and I am so looking forward to it. They will also have a crack at weather forecasting. TBH I think they have a good chance of getting it right - weather forecasters here are shockingly bad in this part of NZ, and I swear they just roll a dice before going on air. I may post some of the exercises in the fun and games section.

As work books go, this really is hitting the mark. Short exercises, fun exercises and above all - enlightening. I think if you have a fun deck to use with the book, you really can bring some fresh energy to how you see the cards. I may repeat a lot of the exercises in a few months with a more serious deck and do a comparison. It certainly doesn't feel as though you are studying - more a case of learning without realising it.

marimorimo

My copy of the book arrived a while ago. I've only leafed through it but the exercises do seem like a lot of fun! I'm so looking forward to working with the book and bonding with my Steampunk Tarot deck :D

Thanks everyone for recommending this gem of a book. I wouldn't even have given this book a second chance if it weren't for the glowing reviews and feedback from the forum :)

Middy1452

Big shout out for this book, which arrived today. I made my purchase based on glowing reports here and I have to say I am not disappointed. Am currently looking for similarities in rows and columns of a 4 x 4 grid of Courts and loving every minute! Wish this book had been out when I started my Tarot journey, it's so refreshing. Wonderful and highly recommended.

swedishfish612

Okay, you all convinced me. I just finished working through Joan Bunning's Learning the Tarot and have been trying to figure out where to go next. This book sounds like a lot of fun. I placed my order last night via Amazon!

swedishfish612

My copy came in today (woo hooo for Amazon Prime!) and I can already tell I'm going to love it. These are such fun things to do...not work at all!

swedishfish612

So I had some (rare) time alone today and did the Committed exercise from the book. You light a candle and vow to enjoy your deck for an unspecified amount of time, forsaking NO others, and basically just have a good time together.

I decided to pull a card asking my deck (Deviant Moon) what it thought about doing this book and going on this journey together, and I pulled The Fool. Gotta love that! :)