Why is the Thoth deck so popular?

Abrac

It won't take over unless you let it. If you're not ready to devote all your time to the Thoth, take it in small bits. Nothing says you can't do more than one thing at a time. :)

CharlotteK

Hi Charlotte

I'm pretty new to tarot too, a year or so. I found Duquette really helpful in getting started with the Thoth and yes, it definitely fascinating stuff. Enjoy your learning and reading with the Thoth, no need IMO to consider shunning other decks that you enjoy working with.
I'm not sure about a deck taking over, perhaps it depends on your own characteristics. I know I can be intense at times so focusing on one deck so far suits me.

While it is true that for many people using the Thoth causes them to use it as their main, and in some cases only, deck but it doesn't do this suddenly or magically. Over the course of my studies and work with the deck I found that its complexity and overall vision were a good deal more "adult," mature and developed than any other of my decks and so in time I grew to naturally prefer it. It didn't do it to me, I did it to myself.

If you like something, and over the course of time you grow to like something else, you don't mourn what you don't like anymore, you just move on. That's why we have favorite songs of the moment, but we know that next week someone will have a new hit single which will be the greatest song ever, and the week after that another.

So I don't think you shouldn't use it out of fear that it will replace your other decks on its own.

Thank you very much for your replies, I can definitely see how this would happen naturally. Even a very limited foray into Thoth studies suggests way more depth than many of the decks I use, which are undeniably a great deal fluffier. I think I know what you mean about "mature" - some of the decks I currently love have imagery so clear it's hard to go wrong and so friendly (even the most negative cards), it's like working with a cuddle blanket. With Thoth I get none of that, it's hard cool granite impenetrable, no friendly wink, no squishy crash mat. If you see what I mean. I will certainly finish the Duquette book and see what next. I do have memory problems so am not good at remembering meanings of specific symbols and am very poor at recalling relationships between things. I am am relying on picking up a general feel for the cards and am hoping Thoth is workable if I can't follow some of the esoteric links and connections.

Thanks again.

CharlotteK

It won't take over unless you let it. If you're not ready to devote all your time to the Thoth, take it in small bits. Nothing says you can't do more than one thing at a time. :)

Yes I think that's going to be the way to go, it's the only way any of it will sink in :)

Eric in NJ

Hello Charlotte, Thoth was my very first deck. It was the deck I learned on! Since, I have acquired a few other decks and have no problem at all switching between. I do find that if a friend requests a 'serious' reading, Thoth is the deck I usually grab, but only due to familiarity.

If I can fanboy a bit, the Sun & Moon Tarot is Thoth inspired but much easier to grasp.

One thing I did take away from learning on a Thoth is no reversals. To this day I do not use them, no matter what the deck.

As for the popularity.... it is a very nice deck, very deep, nicely over sized cards, lots of esoteric meanings but... the real draw I believe is Mr. Crowley. This deck mostly trades on his notoriety. I see this among those who don't really study Tarot, but use it more as an accessory. Actual collectors and readers will have lots of different reasons why they're drawn to this deck.

Cheers!

Thoughtful

l adore my Thoth and l am still learning, learning, and learning, that's what l love, l become very bored with decks that say things to you for a while then come to a halt, and do not go any further.
As to Thoth taking over, no it will not, unless of course you want to make it your only reading deck.
l still love and use my Roots of Asia.

mercuryempress

I'm just here just looking through the cards and what I noticed was that these cards look as if someone could have just created them; they don't look dated..at least compared to the RWS ..the pictures seem very modern to me some of the pictures are almost futuristic...I can totally see the princess of disk in a sci fi movie lol

Nemia

I always thought that the witch Jadis in Narnia was inspired visually by the Princess of Disks... and I agree, the deck looks completely fresh.

mercuryempress

I always thought that the witch Jadis in Narnia was inspired visually by the Princess of Disks... and I agree, the deck looks completely fresh.

Awesome.. I noticed too that the Princess of Disks happens to the cover of DuQuette's book I wonder why he picked that particular card (I haven't gotten that far in the book yet if he explains why) but I guess she draws me in as well as others lol..Beautiful

There's is always something new to see in the images they never get old or boring....Imma be real pissed if I end up only using this deck lololololol
I can see how they can totally absorb you and so far my deck has been very nice to me even though I do feel a little intmidated. Honest and direct but not in a harsh way so I appreciated that.

IHeartRescues

There's is always something new to see in the images they never get old or boring....Imma be real pissed if I end up only using this deck lololololol
I can see how they can totally absorb you and so far my deck has been very nice to me even though I do feel a little intmidated. Honest and direct but not in a harsh way so I appreciated that.

Loool, mercuryempress, all those "other" decks just pushed to the back...All! Those Decks--yikes! All that monetary investment and study time. I know... However, true study time is never really a waste! aaand if studying the Thoth is feeling bit strenuous, have some tea (you'll know you have a very nice choice of friendly back-ups :D)

I only recently purchased my first Crowley Thoth and got the large cards. (I waited a long time bc of what I had read about naughty Aleister. Have moved on fm there in search of ever more (useful I hope) knowledge.) Perhaps w a decent grounding here, and then going back to see how it changes perceptions of other decks. Also took the advice read on these threads and went for a newer edition. Most of the colors really are better. Nice lwb by James Wasserman too. VERY pleased to finally have it, and have already ordered a German Pocket-size, as these are "supposebly" photos of the original paintings, so looking forward to the mail.
There are only two cards I kinda dislike in the Thoth, and the first is the Emperor which seems rather dull despite all its red sulfuric overtones, and the 2nd: the tiny (and green!) pin-head (and arms) on the Princess of Cups. The rest of that card is beautiful, but her little green HEAD--ruins my staring ability. That's only 2 cards tho! What ENERGY!

mercuryempress

Loool, mercuryempress, all those "other" decks just pushed to the back...All! Those Decks--yikes! All that monetary investment and study time. I know... However, true study time is never really a waste! aaand if studying the Thoth is feeling bit strenuous, have some tea (you'll know you have a very nice choice of friendly back-ups :D)

I only recently purchased my first Crowley Thoth and got the large cards. (I waited a long time bc of what I had read about naughty Aleister. Have moved on fm there in search of ever more (useful I hope) knowledge.) Perhaps w a decent grounding here, and then going back to see how it changes perceptions of other decks. Also took the advice read on these threads and went for a newer edition. Most of the colors really are better. Nice lwb by James Wasserman too. VERY pleased to finally have it, and have already ordered a German Pocket-size, as these are "supposebly" photos of the original paintings, so looking forward to the mail.
There are only two cards I kinda dislike in the Thoth, and the first is the Emperor which seems rather dull despite all its red sulfuric overtones, and the 2nd: the tiny (and green!) pin-head (and arms) on the Princess of Cups. The rest of that card is beautiful, but her little green HEAD--ruins my staring ability. That's only 2 cards tho! What ENERGY!

Iheartrescues I've just received it as well..I had put it aside to be put in line with the others but I couldn't help myself so now I'm working with The large cards and The sun and moon tarot for my side deck. I'm thinking to pull a card everyday from both decks and go from there.The only card I really have an issue with in the Thoth is the Prince of Swords..eekk. it's the ugliest card in the deck IMO