Seven of Wands & Question about Reversals

RjOblique

I gave my new Rider-Waite deck an interview reading and when it came to a question about how I can best work with the deck, it showed me an 8 of cups. I thought about this a while and the next day I asked, what in particular should I leave behind in order to best work with you, and it showed me the 7 of wands. I want to understand what this card is trying to tell me before I go any further...

So first I want to ask, for those of you who read upright only, do you expand your interpretation of the cards to include possible reversed meanings?

So far the only thing that I've read that seems to fit is the ill-defined meaning of "anxiety". The upright meaning seems pretty positive, to stand your ground on something important. Might it then mean, "Choose your battles"? And then I'm just getting all confused on how the ill-defined meaning of this card is different than the ill-defined 5 of wands and the 6 of wands. I need help before I get completely lost!

Please and thanks for your thoughts!

Thirteen

So first I want to ask, for those of you who read upright only, do you expand your interpretation of the cards to include possible reversed meanings?!
We who read upright only expand out interpretations to include reversed, sideways and spinning ;) I'm only half joking there. The thing about tarot cards is that they aren't like stop and go lights with only a positive and negative meaning. Each card in the deck has a spectrum of meanings. Even the glowing Sun can warn you to be careful of getting sunburned and even the dismal 10/Swords can say, "Well, at least that's over and done with."

What reversals do for a reader is take away some of the guesswork, the "how do I read this card" ambiguity. One way to see them is as the opposite of their upright meaning--which is why it is a good idea not to go into reversals until you feel solid about knowing those upright meanings. Another way to look at them is to think of the energy of that card as blocked.

7/Wands is about stubbornly or boldly holding to your position. You put all your energy into maintaining your position against those who disagree with you--and whatever it is, you're in the minority. Sometimes this is the right thing to do--as in those who protest for what they believe is right. Other times, it's a waste of energy, as in those instances where nothing gets done because one person isn't willing to compromise. So the meaning of your 7/Wands rx is pretty clear. If you're doing the opposite, or blocking that energy of standing your ground, if you tend to go along with the group even if you don't like what they're doing or cave if others disagree rather than arguing your side...that's what you need to leave behind.

RjOblique

eureeka

We who read upright only expand out interpretations to include reversed, sideways and spinning ;) I'm only half joking there. The thing about tarot cards is that they aren't like stop and go lights with only a positive and negative meaning. Each card in the deck has a spectrum of meanings. Even the glowing Sun can warn you to be careful of getting sunburned and even the dismal 10/Swords can say, "Well, at least that's over and done with."

What reversals do for a reader is take away some of the guesswork, the "how do I read this card" ambiguity. One way to see them is as the opposite of their upright meaning--which is why it is a good idea not to go into reversals until you feel solid about knowing those upright meanings. Another way to look at them is to think of the energy of that card as blocked.

Spinning! Yikes! Yes I would like to avoid all that first...but the reversals come and find you anyway don't they? lol. I like how you put it though Thirteen, the energy is blocked. That helps to think of it that way.

7/Wands is about stubbornly or boldly holding to your position. You put all your energy into maintaining your position against those who disagree with you--and whatever it is, you're in the minority. Sometimes this is the right thing to do--as in those who protest for what they believe is right. Other times, it's a waste of energy, as in those instances where nothing gets done because one person isn't willing to compromise. So the meaning of your 7/Wands rx is pretty clear. If you're doing the opposite, or blocking that energy of standing your ground, if you tend to go along with the group even if you don't like what they're doing or cave if others disagree rather than arguing your side...that's what you need to leave behind.

Thank you Thirteen, that makes sense. I find it especially fitting that my deck's most representative card is the Knight of Wands and wants brings the Page of Wands to the table! Very clear message wouldn't you say? It wants me to stand up for myself!

I think that settles it! You're the best Thirteen :)

Zephyros

even the dismal 10/Swords can say, "Well, at least that's over and done with."

I can't count the times when it's been such a sigh of relief!

Myself, I didn't plan to -not- read without reversals, I guess it just happened that way. Oh, yeah, now i remember; I had a book, and I didn't know what "reversal" meant so I just said I'll learn it some day. When I'll know everything there is to know about upright cards, I may go on to read reversed, but I'm not holding my breath.

Plus, it's not so much cards reversed, but cards in every sort of configuration, like Thirteen said. In time you'll see subtle hints in the cards that aren't in any book, such as the faces looking at each other or at the Querent, pointing to the door, criticizing the drapes, there really is no limit.

PAMUYA

The RWS Seven of Wands, the man is wearing two different shoes, fending off oncomers. Many times with this card I have had this to mean you work to keep two worlds apart, work and home, or groups of friends, or in some cases it has been two relationships. Your question was "what in particular should I leave behind in order to best work with you, and it showed me the 7 of wands"...your queston with this card is like a double negative...How I would read this would be: Leave behide trying to bring to worlds together. Leave all you have learned and have an open mind and bring in ideas that might not blend with current beliefs. This deck will be helpful in teaching intuition, letting go with book meanings possibly.

RjOblique

The RWS Seven of Wands, the man is wearing two different shoes, fending off oncomers. Many times with this card I have had this to mean you work to keep two worlds apart, work and home, or groups of friends, or in some cases it has been two relationships. Your question was "what in particular should I leave behind in order to best work with you, and it showed me the 7 of wands"...your queston with this card is like a double negative...How I would read this would be: Leave behide trying to bring to worlds together. Leave all you have learned and have an open mind and bring in ideas that might not blend with current beliefs. This deck will be helpful in teaching intuition, letting go with book meanings possibly.

That is interesting, the man wearing two different shoes. And the ground beneath him definitely has some unusual configurations going. But what is speaking louder to me right now is the number seven...today I got the 7 of coins reversed (which I never meant to have reversed but I guess it happens) for a "challenges" position. I'm not sure but I keep thinking for me the sevens are about competencies. Inferiority complexes and what not.

lol@closrapexa. I'm not gonna hold my breath for myself either! :p

wildchilde

Plus, it's not so much cards reversed, but cards in every sort of configuration, like Thirteen said. In time you'll see subtle hints in the cards that aren't in any book, such as the faces looking at each other or at the Querent, pointing to the door, criticizing the drapes, there really is no limit.

exactly!!

Also, it's not just "the cards", but as time goes on you find each deck has a different relationship to 'reversals' (whether they happen to be upside down, sideways, and/or spinning in circles :D). I have certain decks that pretty well are yin and yang meanings, and other decks that just completely ignore this in favor of subtle signs, I also have one particular deck that is more an 'emphasis' of the message when the card falls in reverse. Point being, you have to connect with the deck you are using and understand what it organically means in reverse rather than just choosing to "read reversals" or not.