Does tarot attract any (bad) spirits?

mysticmanth

Grizabella said:
Tarot won't invite any spirits unless you invite them. A Ouija board---now that's a different story. Just use the cards, don't invite any spirits, and you'll be fine.

You couldnt have said it any better! I agree with you on that one.

I have had nothing but great experiences with my tarot cards x

yagger

HearthCricket said:
None. Does she seriously think a piece of cardboard is going to conjure up an evil spirit?

She seems to think spirits are wandering and floating everywhere. And during the devination they will notice the energies involved, influence the drawing of the cards the way they want it and to make it really happen they will go to the person to interfere with his life.

It does sound like a creepy ghost story..

she also explained "Even if they don't influence the drawing, the insights of the tarot spread are revealed to any spirit that might be watching along. It's totally up to that spirit to have either something bad or good in mind.."

Basic Elements said:
To imply that the presence of a spirit may interfere with the drawing of the cards, and subsequently alter the future of the individual is to give the spirit godlike abilities..which obviously they do not have.

That's pretty well said! And you really must be someone if you can attract a god to randomly interfere the divination..

The crowned one

If you believe in these sort of things...If a board with letters and a few words posted on it can, sure why not a pack of cards, or a roll of toilet paper for that matter? I think it comes down to intent, not the item. Are tarot cards a common tool for attracting spirits? no more then monopoly is. Any reading I have done on spirit contact seems to involve the self first, rather then the surroundings as key. For example I am standing beside a ghost. I can not see it because I am closed to it, the self lacks the ability. My partner does because she is open to it, through the self, not the spirit.

yagger

Grizabella said:
Tarot won't invite any spirits "unless you invite them". A Ouija board---now that's a different story. Just use the cards, don't invite any spirits, and you'll be fine.

Yea, i already thought my friend's story sounded a bit too exaggerated. But when i heard it for the first time, it did sound a bit creepy when she explained.

But now i wonder.. how do you make sure when you are just doing tarot you're really just doing tarot and not inviting anything, regarding to the words "unless you invite them"?

Nevada

I think Tarot is what you make of it. You can do a lot of evil with an automobile too, but most people use their cars to do good things like drive to work, run errands, take the kids to the park...

What you invite into it is what you'll get out of it.

When I'm reading for someone I don't know, and therefore don't know what might arise in a reading, I like to say a little prayer, make sure I ground myself and set my intent to obtain helpful information.

I don't specifically ask for protection from evil, but I have never felt that I drew anything in by reading Tarot that was malevolent. I read in order to help myself and others.

If I were afraid of Tarot, on the other hand, maybe bad things would happen. But it's just never scared me that way. Your friend seems to be coming from a place of great fear. Maybe it's not for her, if she has those kinds of fears. I don't think people who are afraid to drive should drive cars either.

You are spirit too, remember, and your spirit has a lot of control of your use of the Tarot.

ideely

When I work with Tarot in readings or meditation, I experience a heightened awareness of my environment that broadens my ability to perceive. If there are energies drifting about, I am more sensitive to them. That said, I do not believe it's not the cards attracting these energies; rather, it's my concentration on the cards that clears my mind of clutter so that I recognize them.

Just a thought.

tigerlily

Yep. Worst of all is the Enabling Beast which possesses you and makes you buy Tarot decks until you're broke...

ideely

But now i wonder.. how do you make sure when you are just doing tarot you're really j

Good intention is a powerful shield. Some readers I know pray; some create a sacred circle; others cleanse the space by burning incense. Whether it is stated or demonstrated in ritual, making the decision to do good walls out what does not contribute to that purpose.

ideely

the Enabling Beast

Is that what we call him? His influence is very strong! Tarot decks, books, journals in which to write about readings... we are economic security for the world's metaphysical book stores.

Taamar

Umbrae said:
I dunno...

I was once reading in a bar. Somehow word got out that the 'cost' was a shot of Bushmills. I remember looking up and seeing a line of people (five or six) all holding shots of Bushmills...

So yeah - Tarot CAN attract Spirits. Good or bad depends on yer point of view I suppose...

Bushmills is squarely in the 'good spirits' category... until the next morning. I think I'll take my deck to the bar next time I go...