Just out of curiosity, for any professional readers

Grizabella

I just wanted to update this thread. I thought we all gave good advice without malice, so it will still be a very helpful and educational to anyone who is wanting to go professional who reads the thread now.

I'm adding my comments because my rates and practices have changed. I just took donations for a long time and then when I charged a set fee, it was very low, but I've now raised my price to $50 for a thorough reading. I don't skimp on time and effort. However, I've been running a special for the last few months of half price for the first 10 members who book a reading a month for my AT "family". :)

I felt that posting to bring this thread up might bring some more tips for new readers or those just considering going professional. I think the most helpful and honest tip I can give is not to quit your day job. Many people new to the cards seem to believe it's going to be a piece of cake---just learn some book meanings and off you go to make a tidy and substantial living. That's not how it works, though. Sometimes it's feast, but a lot of time it's famine, so you can't depend on it for a living that will pay the rent reliably. I use the money made from readings to pay for non-essentials. Bills that have to be paid without fail every month are not "non-essentials" of course, so I don't count on readings for those.

Sentient

Thank you for updating, Grizabella - it's useful.

Ace

I think if you charge people takes you more seriously, and not like a game, because they pay you. The other reason because I charge is to have a balance with the client, he pays you, and you give him or her a value information for the querent life. I hope you will find my answer helpfull ;)

I was out of commission for a few years and missed this thread. I am glad you revived it.

I agree with Jsgrrchg, people do take you more seriously when you charge.

When I first learned tarot, the teacher told us to change: She said something I have remembered forever: "Charge for what you do and give value for what you charge." I had friends who would reminisce about how I only charged a quarter ($0.25) when I started!

barb

Aneeka

I read professionally. I stopped reading for friends and family. Professors are great clients. So far, they are curious about love, family and career (not money).

Ace

I felt that posting to bring this thread up might bring some more tips for new readers or those just considering going professional. I think the most helpful and honest tip I can give is not to quit your day job. Many people new to the cards seem to believe it's going to be a piece of cake---just learn some book meanings and off you go to make a tidy and substantial living. That's not how it works, though. Sometimes it's feast, but a lot of time it's famine, so you can't depend on it for a living that will pay the rent reliably. I use the money made from readings to pay for non-essentials. Bills that have to be paid without fail every month are not "non-essentials" of course, so I don't count on readings for those.

Thank you for reviving this thread. I will say, I agree with you: the first advice I was given was "don't quit your day job" but at the time I had no intention of it either! The biggest thing I find to be true is that it ISN'T simple or easy to learn. Tarot, like Go, is quick to learn and a lifetime to master.

Barb