Let's name some Fool archetypes in popular culture

DDwarks

Donald Trump.

Hahaha!
To carry on with your theme and also perhaps unrelated to the subject, The Fool in the Gilded Tarot looks like Bush Jr .

Anyway, for me it would be Edward Bloom in the movie Big Fish.

EmpyreanKnight

I don't know if he is that popular, but for me the one who most embodied the Fool archetype is Paul Atreides, the protagonist of the Dune epic by Frank Herbert. I have the entire sextet originally written by Herbert, although I only managed to finish the first two.

How I wish Alejandro Jodorowsky was able to film his vision on celluloid! With H. R. Giger in set and character design and Salvador Dali (himself!) in the cast, what's not to like? And it just struck me that these three also left their imprints in the Tarot world, with Jodorowsky a leading luminary in the Marseilles, Giger himself repurposing some of his art for the Giger Tarot, and Dali purportedly creating the Dali Universal Tarot in the 70's.

EmpyreanKnight

By the way, last year I watched the film Neon Demon, directed by the auteur Nicolas Winding Refn. It remains my absolute favorite among all the movies I viewed in 2016. Anyway I was struck by how much the story of the virginal ingenue Jesse, the protagonist with a truly otherwordly beauty, is an abject lesson of the mortal dangers facing a Fool who unfortunately lost her way in her travels along the path of the arcana. Lacking spiritual (Magician/High Priestess) and parental (Empress/Emperor) guidance early on, instead of maturing into the best she can be, the vanity and narcissism (Lust/Devil) that would naturally attend one's eventual awakening to the power of one's personal beauty unfortunately led her astray, twisting her paradoxical virginity into a corruption of itself. There are ways out of those traps though, and - well no spoilers here. :)

By the way, Refn was also familiar with the occult (watch the film!) and the Tarot, and in one documentary, he was even given a Tarot reading by - who else? - another celebrated director, Alejandro Jodorowsky of the Marseilles fame. Truly synchronistic, but it seems that my literary and cinematic tastes also link to the Tarot somehow.

Edward Tarot Hands

" But Trump wouldn't be my ideal Fool anyway; Fools are warm-blooded.

LOL
so you're saying Trump is a reptile?

my idea of a perfect fool would be Alice from Alice in Wonderland

Barleywine

By the way, last year I watched the film Neon Demon, directed by the auteur Nicolas Winding Refn. It remains my absolute favorite among all the movies I viewed in 2016. Anyway I was struck by how much the story of the virginal ingenue Jesse, the protagonist with a truly otherwordly beauty, is an abject lesson of the mortal dangers facing a Fool who unfortunately lost her way in her travels along the path of the arcana. Lacking spiritual (Magician/High Priestess) and parental (Empress/Emperor) guidance early on, instead of maturing into the best she can be, the vanity and narcissism (Lust/Devil) that would naturally attend one's eventual awakening to the power of one's personal beauty unfortunately led her astray, twisting her paradoxical virginity into a corruption of itself. There are ways out of those traps though, and - well no spoilers here. :)

By the way, Refn was also familiar with the occult (watch the film!) and the Tarot, and in one documentary, he was even given a Tarot reading by - who else? - another celebrated director, Alejandro Jodorowsky of the Marseilles fame. Truly synchronistic, but it seems that my literary and cinematic tastes also link to the Tarot somehow.

Speaking of Jodorowsky, the main character in his surrealist film El Topo (played by himself, I believe) has something of the Fool about him. It's not for the squeamish.

EmpyreanKnight

Speaking of Jodorowsky, the main character in his surrealist film El Topo (played by himself, I believe) has something of the Fool about him. It's not for the squeamish.

I watched the trailer and read some (thankfully non-spoiler) reviews. I think it's mighty interesting. I'd try to ask an art film buff friend if he can lend me his disk if he has it, or perhaps source a copy for me if he doesn't.

SilverFirePrime

In the Persona video game series since the third, vairous characters are tied to the Major Arcana. The game's protagonist (who you name and has almost no backstory coming into the game) is has always been represented by the Fool.

thefourrealms

I'm currently reading Jodorowsky's book on the Tarot:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6551807-the-way-of-tarot?from_search=true

And he did a documentary about he and the Tarot, but only could find the first part of it on YouTube. But what I saw, I loved...
https://youtu.be/9-uoArXTJMo