Hand gestures on Levi's Baphomet are different

Abrac

The more I compare these images the more I like Wirth's 1889 version. If one assumes Waite knew of this version and was influenced by it, the arms on his Devil might be seen in a different light as in this image. The arms that are raised and lowered in the two images appear to be on opposite sides from one another, but this can be explained by orientation; if you imagine you're standing behind Wirth's Devil, Coagula will be on the right and Solve on the left, same as Waite. There are a several similarities:

1. In both the Coagula arm is lowered and the Solve arm is raised.

2. In both the Coagula arm is on the male side and Solve is on the female side.

3. In both the Coagula arm is holding a burning torch.

In this arrangement, Waite's arms agree with those of Baphomet but everything else is quite different than Levi.

I'm sure Coagula and Solve can mean a lot of different things, but thinking in broad terms I see them as life and death or creation and destruction respectively. Coagula is the creative force that coalesces and bring things into form; Solve is the destructive force that causes things to dissolve back into their basic elements, in an ongoing cycle. Waite's version seems to correspond more correctly to the tree and to this cycle. Coagula [creation] corresponds to the right pillar, the white pillar, that of mercy; it is the side of the waxing moon. Solve [destruction] corresponds to the left pillar, the black pillar, that of severity; it is the side of the waning moon. It seems likely though that Waite's Devil represents a misuse of the creative and destructive forces.