New Fournier Marseille?

Abrac

I found this ad at House Of Tarot for an updated version of the Fournier Marseille:

http://www.houseoftarot.com/Marseilles/Tarot+of+Marseille+by+Fournier.html

The add claims, "This version of the famous Tarot of Marseille has been slightly reinterpreted with deeper colors and a more three-dimensional quality."

Is there anyone out there who actually owns this deck, or has seen it?

-fof

Umbrae

Well it's not 'new'. To call it 'new' is sort of...well...

and it's a modernized, colorized TdM.

I know that Tarot Garden has scans of it if you want to look. I used their database to search for "Marseilles" to come up with a complete listing...

and yes I own a set..

But really - seriously - out of all the Marseilles that I own, I prefer Dusserre's Dodal (very OOP), and the standard Grimaud.

and Major Tom's...

Northwind

The Fournier is a good Marseille to begin with. The colours and the vitality of the cards are somewhat easier for those accustomed to the Rider Waite Smith traditions. The cards are quite small and easy to shuffle and transport , added advantages.

When I saw this notice I thought the Fournier had been recolored again but that does not seem to be the case.

Dwaas

Northwind said:
The Fournier is a good Marseille to begin with. The colours and the vitality of the cards are somewhat easier for those accustomed to the Rider Waite Smith traditions. The cards are quite small and easy to shuffle and transport , added advantages.

Today my mini Fournier arrived. It is not my first Marseille. I love my other Marseilles, but this one definitely adds something special. I can imagine why people want to study other Marseilles as well, but the Fournier is imo not just a "beginners" deck. It has French titles, card XIII without a title, the valet de deniers with the title on the side etc. It looks all the way like a real Marseille with modern bold colouring. I find it less different from the general Marseilles style compared to for example the Jodo/Camoin Marseille with it's different colouring, lines and added eggs and a door at the towercard. The Fournier is imo a grown up Marseille for people with (sometimes) a different taste.
Blessings

catlin

Funny, but the colour on the sample card at houseoftarot looked different than the colours on my Mini Fournier.

Do you know if this standard size Fournier is indeed coloured differently from the Mini Fournier or is it just the computer scan which makes it look different?

Sulis

Dwaas said:
Today my mini Fournier arrived. It is not my first Marseille. I love my other Marseilles, but this one definitely adds something special. I can imagine why people want to study other Marseilles as well, but the Fournier is imo not just a "beginners" deck. It has French titles, card XIII without a title, the valet de deniers with the title on the side etc. It looks all the way like a real Marseille with modern bold colouring. I find it less different from the general Marseilles style compared to for example the Jodo/Camoin Marseille with it's different colouring, lines and added eggs and a door at the towercard. The Fournier is imo a grown up Marseille for people with (sometimes) a different taste.
Blessings

I couldn't agree more.

I love my Fournier - I also have a Grimaud and the Fournier seems to use the same lines and drawings as that one.

I certainly think of it as a real Marseilles deck - I love the feel of it too.
There seem to be less changed in the flora etc in this one than in the Hadar that I also have.
I prefer the Fournier.
It seems to me that the only changes made in this deck involve the colouring.

Dwaas

catlin said:
Do you know if this standard size Fournier is indeed coloured differently from the Mini Fournier or is it just the computer scan which makes it look different?

Interesting question! Does anyone have both the decks? I like to get the standard size Fournier as well, but only if it is as wild coloured as the mini Fournier. Perhaps someone could tell us.
Blessings

Sulis

I Don't have the mini - just the standard size.

I've attached some scans of my cards so that you can get an idea of the colours used.

Attachments

• Fournier Ace Batons.jpg
    Fournier Ace Batons.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 256
  • Fournier Ace d'Epees.jpg
    Fournier Ace d'Epees.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 243
  • Fournier le Chariot.jpg
    Fournier le Chariot.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 249
  • Fournier le monde.jpg
    Fournier le monde.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 245

Dwaas

Thanks Sulis for the scans.
If I can rely on my old screen it looks like the mini Fournier has even brighter colours than the standard size.
This happens more often, for example, my pocket RWCS is much brighter than the standard version. While shrinking the pictures the colours get more compressed?
Anyway, a pity you don't have also the mini Fournier to compare the scans from the same scanner.
So best is you buy the mini as well. :D ;)
Blessings

shaveling

I have the Fournier in both sizes, and just compared them. The colors were very slightly less intense in my full size deck than in my mini. But the difference wasn't more than you might expect from different print runs. The biggest contrast was between the blue backgrounds of the swords. But if you didn't have both cards in front of you at the same time, you probably wouldn't think there was a difference at all.