playing card study group

cartarum

we need this. i would love to post and read threads for playing cards. any takers?

paradoxx

I don't read playing cards perse, but i will go through an entire deck and lay them out like tarot spreads and use soime of the similar meanings. The Tarot Nova, by running press, uses basic playing card symbols with the suits but removes the diamonds in place of pentacles.

I assume we would take the page out and replace the knight with the Jack.

But most importantly; the King of Hearts, or the suicide king, will at times be shown, depending on the manufacturer of the deck, with sleeve cuffs that are different from the one holding the sword that killed him.

i think it was colonal Mustard in the kitchen with the knife.

Umbrae

Knights do not exist in regular playing cards - the Jack, or Knave is equal to the Page or Valet.

The Knights were an addition to the Mamluk playing cards...along with the Major Arcana to create Tarot. That's may be a reason that Crowley placed the Knights above the King in rank...

Phoenix Rising

Yes I'm a taker on this one. I used to use playing cards before, a friend of and member on here Lisa-pisces is a brilliant cartomancer.
Cool.

InvisibleSoul

Which of the suits represent which?

I assume Hearts would be Cups...
Diamonds = Pentacles?

What about the Clubs and Spades?

cartarum

playing cards

cups are hearts, swords are spades, wands are clubs, and pentacles are diamonds. i take the jacks to represent both pages and knights, and i use the joker as a face card that is some sort of combination between the page of swords and the page of cups.
it is interesting that the suicide king is the king of cups who when reversed is notorious for self destruction. i wonder if the illustrations for the court cards in playing cards that supposedly predate tarot cards have the king of hearts as the suicide king?
hmmm

jlbvt

deal me in... ;)

I'm interested in a playing card study group... I usually keep a deck of playing cards in my purse, and sometimes draw one and read it like tarot. I collect illustrated decks of different styles, and I love them almost as much as tarot.
Joan

morandia

how would the meanings of a regular deck of cards differ from those of the minor arcana? Except for the "extra" court card in the tarot deck....

jlbvt

The meanings don't really differ. in fact, Lo Scarabeo publishes some playing card decks which are exact copies of their Tarot decks, minus the Majors and Knights, of course.
Liberty Deck

Sometimes fully illustrated decks are arranged to closely follow Tarot meanings. I love decks like that. Here are a couple that might (I don't have these myself.)

Mermaids

Harry Potter

cartarum

reading with da,ath

reading the daath card is best for playing cards, although you can
read the daath card with tarot cards. the major difference is the majors. but anyways, the bottom card of the deck is daath. it can
have the meaning of any position of any spread. its meaning is directly connected to what is happening, whether it is emotional, physical, or temporal. where precognition is concerned, it is accurate, up to about fifteen seconds.
simply shuffle the deck, and occasionally read the card on the bottom. choose what you think it is, tarot may correct you if you are wrong. each card that you see has a tentative connection with the card before and after, that may or may not be a part of the actual divination. like i said, if you are wrong n the meaning, tarot may correct you. it takes alot of concentration, and there is a time issue, so good luck. please report back your experiences!