The Aquarian Qabalah by Naomi Ozaniec

sweet_intuition

Okay, I don't know if I should post this here (Mods, feel free to repost it where it belongs), but I came across this title at a book store over here. I then searched it out on amazon, but apparently no one seems to have reviewed it there. So I was wondering if anyone has read this book and whether they could tell me their thoughts and views about it.

http://www.amazon.com/Aquarian-Qaba...=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1198436346&sr=8-5

a_gnostic

I realize this is an ancient thread, but I just received a copy of this book (The Aquarian Qabalah) in the mail today. Based on the preview pages on Amazon, this exact book was reissued under a new name, The Kabbalah Experience: The Practical Guide to Babbalistic Wisdom in September, 2005. The Table of Contents of my older (2003) book is exactly the same as the retitled 2005 version.

Here are its 4 reviews:
1 of 1 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Meditative visualization, August 15, 2011
By Laura Weakley "spiritual1rav" (Atlanta, GA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Kabbalah Experience: The Practical Guide to Kabbalistic Wisdom (Paperback)
Generally and overall, I liked this book. There are definitely some concepts written about and not explained, not the least of which is the Kabbalah, as advertised by its very title. There are also some incorrect explanations. This being said, the writing style is quite enjoyable. The visual imagery for meditative purposes is very good. A big problem with this book is its title does not aptly describe its contents, and is very misleading.

I like, however, the information about other religious perspectives discussed. Further, I also like and agree with the overall perspective of there being similarities of concepts in different religions, as this could help lead to more understanding between peoples, as well as more respect across the board. While I can appreciate what Ozaniec seeks to accomplish, it is obvious she is a Christian. I say this because the study of Kabbalah is not something a non-Jew can completely grasp. Additionally, I say this with respect for other viewpoints; however, there is a depth of understanding which can only come from growing up in a Jewish household, Jewish study, and from depth of Torah study in particular, which is necessary background for students of Kabbalah.

I say this as someone who absolutely sees, understands, and seeks to educate the public with comparisons of similarities across various religions. There is no way to be completely unbiased about anything, as our point of view is necessarily shaped by our environments. While I am a student of world religions and a lifelong learner like Ozaniec, I am fully aware of my own sentiments about a full Jewish background as necessary for a greater and more profound understanding of Kabbalah, all of which also apply to my own inadequacy of depth of understanding about other religions. This is clearly demonstrated by the fact that Ozaniec only touches upon the surface of Kabbalah, and spends most of the writing of the book on educating us about other religious (non-Jewish) perspectives, based upon a cursory explanation of the Kabbalistic concepts the title of the book advertises.

While I enjoyed the reading of the book for its educational value, for its attempt to be a part of healing the world, educating the world, and for its attempt to open our eyes to the beauty a more spiritual, peace-loving world could provide us, I was greatly disappointed in its contents based upon the title, and what I thought was the content such a title would provide. I don't think I have ever been as completely misled by a title of a book as I have been by this one.
1 of 2 people found the following review helpful
1.0 out of 5 stars Barely worth $3, July 29, 2010
By Fred Jones "theotherwhitemeat" (Mansfield, TX USA) - See all my reviews
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This review is from: The Kabbalah Experience: The Practical Guide to Kabbalistic Wisdom (Paperback)
I only wish I had purchased this used at $3 price range. It's filled with babble, not clearly explained with a metric ton of filler text. Avoid at all costs.
0 of 1 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars For beginners, May 12, 2009
By Kyana - See all my reviews
Very easy to grasp! I love this book!
But I feel though some concepts are not explained clearly maybe for the sake of simplicity.
0 of 1 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Kabbalah Experience, November 18, 2008
By Clare Bredell (Frankford, Wv) - See all my reviews
(REAL NAME)
Amazon Verified Purchase(What's this?)
This book pretty much brings it all together---a difficult subject made a lot easier by Naomi Ozaniec.

Richard

.......Here are its 4 reviews:
I must take issue with the first review and its elaboration of the statement "....the study of Kabbalah is not something a non-Jew can completely grasp." Besides exhibiting a deplorable racial and cultural naïveté, the writer of the review is apparently ignorant of the influence of Hermetic and Gnostic (Greek) thought on Qabalah as well as the fact that it is rejected by the majority of Jews as being nonsensical rubbish.

a_gnostic

The original edition (The Aquarian Qabalah) was published by Watkins Publishing Ltd. in 2003. The retitled one (The Kabbalah Experience) was published in September 2005 and November 2007 by Duncan Baird, and Viva Books in New Delhi is also listed as a publisher in 2007.

Here are some additional reviews that I found.

On goodreads.com:
Many people want to realize the benefits of the Kabbalah, but don't know where to start. With hundreds of original texts and an ocean of books, the task can be daunting--but this manual offers a contemporary, accessible approach to the traditional wisdom. Basing its approach on the Tree of Life, "The Kabbalah Experience" leads readers through a series of structured exercises designed to spur self-revelation, and integrates elements of the Tarot with traditional Judaic teachings for a more complete understanding of the Kabbalah. It's a valuable companion for any journey into the mysteries of this popular spiritual path.
...and here:
This is a great book for anyone who is a novice wanting to learn about the Tree of Life. It is especially helpful to anyone with knowledge of the tarot symbolism, as it makes connections between each of the major and minor arcana with the paths and sephera of the Tree. It also has suggested meditations, visualizations and questions to ask yourself to further explore to various aspects of the Tree and how they apply to you and your life.
Here's a review from the UK Amazon site:
1 of 1 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars The Kabbalah Experience, 3 Feb 2011
By Dtlv "bornconfused" - See all my reviews
This is one of my very favourite practical workbooks on the subject of the Kabbalah. It guides the reader through the concepts surounding the Kabbalah, using parallels, inferences and symbolism from other mystical traditions, and uses these to build a strong understanding of the ideas involved. The book guides the reader on a journey through the paths and sephira of the tree of life, using guided meditations and exercises to aid the experience. This to me is the strongest aspect of the narrative, as the Kabbalah is something that has its value in experience of use, rather than dry intellectual appreciation. The book explores the Kabbalah from a hermetic (or western esoteric) perspective rather than a Judaic one, and has much to offer both to new students and to those more familar with the concepts involved, offering them a new perspective.
Finally, here's a description:
A new, contemporary and accessible to a traditional wisdom. The author combines the symbolic imagery of the Tarot with the traditional structure of the Tree of Life, taking the reader on a journey of self-discovery and spiritual awakening.

Originating within the judaic mystical tradition of Kabbalah, the Tree of Life is now making a significant and original contribution in the field of sacred psychology. It is the universal map for the spiritual quest. The Kabbalah Experience presents the reader with the opportunity to engage with a contemporary curriculum within a current Mystery School. Journeying through a series of structured exercises and practices, the reader embarks on an experiential voyage of personal transformation. In a unique presentation which includes the wisdom of the Tarot, the reader "climbs" upwards into the Tree of Life, travelling upon each of the 32 Paths of Wisdom in turn by encountering Inner Temples and Tarot landscapes.
I've posted these because, as I'm making my way through the book (once getting past the incomprehensible gibberish of the intros and prefaces), it seems like a worthwhile course of detailed study on the Tree of Life and how it relates to the Tarot.

a_gnostic

I must take issue with the first review and its elaboration of the statement "....the study of Kabbalah is not something a non-Jew can completely grasp." Besides exhibiting a deplorable racial and cultural naïveté, the writer of the review is apparently ignorant of the influence of Hermetic and Gnostic (Greek) thought on Qabalah as well as the fact that it is rejected by the majority of Jews as being nonsensical rubbish.
I wouldn't so quickly dismiss the reviewer's comments as being naive or borne of ignorance. They do posit that being Jewish and essentially "living" the culture for one's entire lifetime may offer a perspective that can't be fully appreciated through study alone. That may indeed be the case. The flaw in her argument is assuming that the Kabbalah's worth can be measured only along that dimension.

From what (little) I understand of it so far, the Tree of Life and the concepts and symbols made to align with it are but tools that can be used in many ways, and that extraordinary flexibility is part of the nature of its power. The reviewer's disappointment seems to be that the book failed to support the dimension in which she chose to focus. In that sense, perhaps she was a bit naive.

Richard

I wouldn't so quickly dismiss the reviewer's comments as being naive or borne of ignorance. They do posit that being Jewish and essentially "living" the culture for one's entire lifetime may offer a perspective that can't be fully appreciated through study alone. That may indeed be the case. The flaw in her argument is assuming that the Kabbalah's worth can be measured only along that dimension.

From what (little) I understand of it so far, the Tree of Life and the concepts and symbols made to align with it are but tools that can be used in many ways, and that extraordinary flexibility is part of the nature of its power. The reviewer's disappointment seems to be that the book failed to support the dimension in which she chose to focus. In that sense, perhaps she was a bit naive.

Good points, a_gnostic. I suppose I'm just allergic to simplistic, copycat banalities. I wish I had a dollar for every time I've seen the statement that Qabalah can be fully understood only by Jews. It's not unlike claiming that only the English can fully understand Shakespeare, or that only a Dubliner can hope to understand James Joyce's Ulysses. It is at best a half-truth that, in my opinion, would be better left unsaid.

ETA. It can also be a cop out. For example: "I dont understand Qabalah very well. It's not because I'm unwilling to work my butt off learning about the Hebrew language or studying the Torah; it's because I'm not Jewish."

a_gnostic

Good points, a_gnostic. I suppose I'm just allergic to simplistic, copycat banalities. I wish I had a dollar for every time I've seen the statement that Qabalah can be fully understood only by Jews. It's not unlike claiming that only the English can fully understand Shakespeare, or that only a Dubliner can hope to understand James Joyce's Ulysses. It is at best a half-truth that, in my opinion, would be better left unsaid.

ETA. It can also be a cop out. For example: "I dont understand Qabalah very well. It's not because I'm unwilling to work my butt off learning about the Hebrew language or studying the Torah; it's because I'm not Jewish."
Well-stated, LRichard, and particularly appropriate here, on this forum. I do tend to agree with you, however, I'm curious about something. I get it that one must study Hebrew and the Torah to understand Qabalah, but do you believe that's necessary to fully understand and appreciate Kaballah-with-a-K? (Am I correct in believing those two overlap but are not congruent?)

Zephyros

Well-stated, LRichard, and particularly appropriate here, on this forum. I do tend to agree with you, however, I'm curious about something. I get it that one must study Hebrew and the Torah to understand Qabalah, but do you believe that's necessary to fully understand and appreciate Kaballah-with-a-K? (Am I correct in believing those two overlap but are not congruent?)

I would never claim propriety, but I can say that being Jewish (and Israeli) has helped me in studying Kabbalah, if only because of its cultural connections and the fact that I know the language. These can of course be made without being Jewish, just as you could learn Native American shamanism without being Native American (although it would help, but you would risk being accused of cultural appropriation which could be a valid point in regards to Kabbalah, but that's a hornet's nest I'm not eager to open, and I have also written about this in the past). However, it is interesting to note that for Jews as well Kabbalah is considered "forbidden knowledge" which can only be understood after the age of 40 and after a lifetime of Torah study. You don't win, even if you're Jewish (or should I say especially! :) ) Tradition tells that anyone attempting to read the Zohar prematurely will go mad.

In any case, grounding in the basics always helps. and any sort of Kabbalah worth anything is based upon the Hebrew letters and gimatria, the system of assigning numbers to the letters. This isn't absolutely necessary, but like with anything else, the more you put in, the more you will reap. At first though, it is enough to understand how the Tree of Life is a map of the universe, etc. That will give you your first introduction, which can then be taken really anywhere. Try to grasp the ideas first, then go into the minutiae.

Richard

I personally think that the Hebrew prerequisites are pretty well covered in The Chicken Quabalah of Rabbi Lamed Ben Clifford. ETA: Although, the more Hebrew, the better. It is a fascinating language, but fiendishly difficult, at least for English speakers.

The theme of exile and return is really the meta-theme of the entire Bible, both the Old and New Testaments, not just the Torah. (It is also the theme of Milton's epic poems, Paradise Lost and Paradise Regained.) A Christian, Jew, or Muslim who is Biblically savvy might have an advantage. I just meant that "not being Jewish" might be used as a lame excuse for not putting forth the necessary effort to learn something new and different. My understanding of Christianity is that Christians are essentially Jews who are under a new dispensation of grace rather than law. Anyhow, a good Christian background should include some familiarity with the Torah/Pentateuch: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, Deuteronomy.

ETA. Might as well add a few more things in response to your question, a_gnostic. The Torah actually contains all the essentials of the exile and restoration scenario, so it is not necessary to wade through all the rest of the Tanach and the New Testament in order to get the whole picture. Anyhow, New Testament theology gets all wonky when it implies that Jesus was the Messiah. If he was, then it was a failed mission, since it did not restore the Kingdom. I'm sorry, but the stuff about his Kingdom being spiritual instead of temporal just doesn't fit the Messianic prophecies in any way, shape, or form. That sort of tripe probably did more harm than good if it was designed to convert Jews to the new religion. The lack of any sort of historical or logical integrity caused me to reject orthodox Christianity at a fairly young age. I just can't turn off my God-given (if there is a God) brain.

ETA. Of course, the application of the exile/return theme to the individual is certainly mystical and spiritual. Exile is the Fool's descent from Kether down through the Sephirot to Malkuth, and restoration is the subsequent ascent back up the Tree. There is a beautiful allegory of this in The Song of the Pearl.

a_gnostic

Now I find myself confused about something that I should probably get cleared up. The various spellings seem to be significant, yet I encounter inconsistencies in their use.

A Wikipedia article explains these variants:
  • Hermetic Qabalah: as distinguished from the Jewish and Christian variants.
  • Kabbalah: the Jewish one
  • Cabbalah: Christian gnosticism
Then, there's another article which seems to treat the K-spelling more like a generic term referring to all of them. And I'm fairly sure I've seen the Q-spelling used to differentiate the Jewish kind from the other (more secular?) kind.

Then, there's "The Kabbalah Centre" at www.kabbalah.com, which seems to set itself apart from any other historical or religious tradition.

Regardless of what you call it, my concern is primarily with the "hermetic" variant that seems to have grown out of the various religious traditions. I'm not convinced that those biblical themes you mentioned are fundamental to application of the Hermetic Kabbalah (for some reason this term makes the most sense to me) to use of the Tarot.

Or have I completely misunderstood and confused myself?