Le Tarot Tournant (Bill's Tarot)

OnePotato

Hi philebus.
Ya, part of the experiment was to attempt to work like the old guys did. To find room for my own expression while firmly embracing the requirements and restrictions of tradition. Like I said, it's a dream of something old.

Hullo Rosanne!
I'm glad you're pleased with them.
NO FRAME!!!! :D
It's set for the same 2mm white margin that you see in the majors. I absolutely love the "wet edge" that only watercolor can give you, where the pigment migrates to the edge of the pool as it dries. Cropping that might just kill me. :)
Gentle and graceful? Two of my favorite songs are "Beata Viscera" and "Safe European Home" So, maybe sometimes. Othertimes, not so much... :)

Hello monoazul313 and karenquilter.
Thanks for the comments.
I did quite a few test sheets in order to work out the background color progressions. It pays to practice!
Most commercial publishers have a lot of requirements that this deck doesn't meet, and I've decided long ago not to change course in order to comply. So, I'm happy enough with my little place out on the fringes....I'll do what I can to get a few out into the world, though. :)

spoonbender

OnePotato said:
(Can I please have your thousandth post? :bugeyed: )
Sure!! Here it is. :D *makes thousandth post and sighs with great relief*

Sorry it took me so long - this is the first time in a while I visited the Forum...

Spoon

firecatpickles

OnePotato said:
I absolutely love the "wet edge" that only watercolor can give you, where the pigment migrates to the edge of the pool as it dries.
Wouldn't you be able to have slightly oversized cards so that the wet edge could be visible? Just having plain (or white) from the space coming out from "behind" where your original edge is and the edge of the card would be cool.

OnePotato

spoonbender said:
Sure!! Here it is. :D *makes thousandth post and sighs with great relief*
Thanks Spoony!
It's an honor!
Be sure to stop in at your party over in the Chat Forum.

kilts_knave said:
Wouldn't you be able to have slightly oversized cards so that the wet edge could be visible? Just having plain (or white) from the space coming out from "behind" where your original edge is and the edge of the card would be cool.
Hi KK.
Yes, I believe you're describing what I had in mind.
I didn't mean no borders, with the image bleeding off the edge.
I meant that i have allowed for a 3mm plain paper margin, so you'll see the edge of the paint.

I just meant there would be no painted decorative frame added to each card, with the image cropped slightly to fit inside, as you often see.

Anyway....
I have been reworking some design issues with wands and swords. There is a certain asymmetry in the floral elements of the deniers that must also carry into the swords and batons, and I will sleep better knowing that it is resolved before investing even more time in cups. I had been planning to do cups next, but now I wonder.....

In the meantime, time passes, and Spring approaches.

spoonbender

OnePotato said:
Thanks Spoony!
It's an honor!
Be sure to stop in at your party over in the Chat Forum.
You're welcome OP.

I'm not a subscriber though, so it would surprise me if there's a party for me in the Chat Forum. ;)

Am looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Spoon

OnePotato

spoonbender said:
You're welcome OP.

I'm not a subscriber though, so it would surprise me if there's a party for me in the Chat Forum....

Well, be surprised then!
I guess we'll have fun without you.... :D

nicky

Progress report please (she says all whiny and hopeful)

N.

Hooked on TdM

I have to say these are truly beautiful! And non-scenic pips!!! I am looking forward to your completed deck now! :)

Hooked

OnePotato

Progress report for nicky:

Another Spring has come and gone.
I have resolved my design problem with batons and swords.
I have finished the final drawing for batons, and have laid out the sheet.
I have done a number of color tests.
I'm not yet satisfied, so I believe a few more color tests are in order.
Then I can proceed with paint on paper.

Of course a few other projects have crept in to distract me from all this.
One of those has left me in quite a bad mood.
But this project is rooted in absurdity, so I continue to happily plod along.

I appreciate your asking.

Hullo Hooked.
Thanks for commenting, and I'm glad you like it.
Yes, the oh-so unpublishable unillustrated pips.
When they are done, I will eat them with salt!
:D

magpie9

OnePotato said:
Yes, the oh-so unpublishable unillustrated pips.
When they are done, I will eat them with salt!
:D
What, :eek: no butter?!!