Holistic Tarot for left-brainers?

earthshine

I was browsing through the reviews (on Amazon) on Holistic Tarot, and several cited that this book is designed, in their opinion, for left-brained tarot readers.

Now that turned me off a bit, because I'm very right-brained.

I am thinking of getting instead Mary Greer's 21 Ways to Read the Tarot, if it is more intuitive/right-brained oriented. Current budget constraints restrict me to purchasing only one book at the moment.

Any advice?

Nemia

If you're very right brained, then Greer is really better for you. I love both books, and I think that at one point, you'll want to read Benebell Wen's masterpiece. But if you want to build a personal, intuitive relationship with your cards, you can't go wrong with Greer.

One word about Wen though: she never insists that her way is the only or even the best way. This is one of the very strong points in her book. My copy (on the Kindle) is annotated richly; I felt like getting into a real dialogue with my inner Benebell ;-) and didn't always agree - she encourages that. So it's not a book that makes you feel bad or incompetent or insufficient in any way.

But as you describe yourself, I'd say, take a deck of cards, pen and paper, and start your journey with Mary Greer. I love that book so much.

ETA: Sorry, I'm an idiot! What I wrote above was when I thought you want to buy Mary Greer's Tarot for Yourself. It's IMO the most wonderful book to find a personal way into the world of the cards.

21 Ways is very good, too, but it's less intuitive and right-brain than Tarot for Yourself. It has quite a systematic approach, too.

So I'd get Tarot for Yourself, and then open the question again ;-)

earthshine

I am very right-brained. Greer said the goals of her book are:

* to expand the ways you obtain information from a card
* to deepen personal insights
* to evolve an individualized reading style or technique

What I like about both books, this and Wen's, is that it doesn't seem to rush me into learning. It's very self-paced.

I just read your edit. All right, I'll check out Tarot for Yourself. Thank you.

DesertDream

I have both, they are both good but the magic for me is in 21 ways. Im very right brained. It seems my left brain devolped later in life haha. 21 ways is a mix of left and right brain ways but she teaches in a way that makes all the systematic stuff attractive to me, that is hard to do for me so that is a huge plus! Mary has a great talent! I think it will match you very well :D

Holistic seems to be written for logical left brainers, I agree. I wish some right brain magic was thrown in, but then again we do need some left brainers in this field of Woo and whatnot! It feels like it is very much written by a Queen of Swords. I like most of the book, but her card interpritations throw me off. She does offer alot of great stuff in there and recommend you eventually get them both. It seems for a book named Holistic tarot you would see more right brain stuff in there or "speak" and there are good counseling spreads its just like its all being approached with logic instead of emotion. But both books belong in any great tarot library, and both approaches are welcome! Both authors obviously know what their talking about!

There are some books that really seem to speak too us super creatives that I recommend you check out, I dont have them yet but they are defo on my wishlist!

The Tarot Activity Book: A Collection of Creative and Theraputic Ways to use the Cards
365 Tarot Activities
The Tarot Playbook: 78 novel ways to use the Cards
Tarot for Writers

Im sure you can find cheap used versions on amazon. Might help save a few $$. Anywho goodluck!

earthshine

Thanks, DesertDream! Tarot for Writers does sound interesting! I've a question about 21 Ways. I have some free time tomorrow night after work. Does it say it's ideal to do ways 1 to 21 consecutively, in one sitting?

DesertDream

Does it say it's ideal to do ways 1 to 21 consecutively, in one sitting?

Lmao! Nooooo. That would take quite a while! Youd be sitting there for months! Each chaper introduces a step and offers practices for either apprentice or adept. Id recommend you spend a few days to a week on each one.

Her multiple appendix in the back are great. In appendix G she offers reading styles taken from her steps and list different ways for the styles. You could take this and start here with your preferred style and then incorporate other styles in as you go. In my opinion you dont have to go linear in this book, you can take a couple of the steps that speak to your style and go from there.

earthshine

Great! We can totally go right brain berserk on this one, eh?

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A7-30GC using Tapatalk

DesertDream

Ha! This book can take some serious dedication, dedication I have not fully put into it. You can go about the steps anyway you want. Linear or non linear, but it does take work! Get a good notebook and pen to journal your journey with this fantastic book!

Citrin

I agree with Nemia. :) I'm very right-brained, but I still really enjoy Holistic Tarot. It's great as a resource when you need more info on certain cards, spreads etc, and if you just tweek her exercises a little they go well with us right-brainers too. ;)

My favorite right-brain tarot book is Tarot 101 by Kim Huggens. Also Psychic Tarot by Antenucci. They very much encourage intuition, journaling, personal bonding with the cards etc.