Tarot of the Holy Light - a "pip deck" I can get my head around...

MissChiff

The second deluxe edition is now out along with a B/W issue!!

Le Fanu

I would direct you to wait for the linen card stock...
I have three first editions and they all have linen stock. Or maybe I misunderstand what linen stock is. I think it's linen by my understanding.

No idea it was "deluxe" though. If there's a first and second deluxe edition, was there ever a "normal", non-deluxe edition? :bugeyed:

Tanga

I have three first editions and they all have linen stock. Or maybe I misunderstand what linen stock is. I think it's linen by my understanding.

No idea it was "deluxe" though. If there's a first and second deluxe edition, was there ever a "normal", non-deluxe edition? :bugeyed:

I've never had a "linen stock" deck so I don't know what it is... I imagine that the quality of the paper is somehow more luxurious to touch... and reading from the review:

"The cards themselves are 3” by 5”, with what is termed a linen texture. I noticed this immediately, and had to ask Christine what that was. I described it to her as “looking like linen”, and was very surprised to hear that that was the term used to describe it! Held up to the light, fine linen-like lines can be seen. The texture itself makes the cards less slippery, and easier to handle. Kudos for making this choice!"

Anyhow - presently I can't seem to get on the Tarot University site in order to check out this new version.... AAArrghhh!

:)

magicjack

magicjack, I'd definitely wait for the release of the deluxe 2nd edition. It must be very close, now. I really feel that because the images are digital collage, the linen card stock and over sized cards really help to give the deck some texture and depth. Either that, or just get the app, it's rather good as apps go. the images also look very nice on a light-up screen.

I'm bumping this thread up today because I ordered this deck today. Apparently this addition is comparable to the 1st addition? (I think there was an addition in-between the 1st and this one that was printed on different stock, correct me if I'm wrong). Anyway, I can't help but be intrigued with this deck. Only time will tell if I will connect with it or not and actually use it. I'm aware of the discussion around her system and the changes in astrology correspondences but I didn't bother getting the book wanting to be inspired by the deck alone. Maybe later I will decide if it's something I must have. A book of symbols may just be all I need mixed with my intuitive skills. We will see. Who says I have to know the creators system anyway. I just think it's a beautiful deck. All I need is a LWB and I'm on my way. So, we will see what I really think when it gets in my hands.

mrpants

magicjack, have fun! The lwb is designed to get you right into reading these cards. Also you will have the dove on the Temperance card, so I'm a little jealous there :)

FLizarraga

Why oh why do I visit these threads? I have had the original deluxe edition for a while, so I thought I was safe. (Ha!)

But now they have a BLACK & WHITE edition. *thud* *thud* *thud* (sound of head being banged against table)

Nemia

I can't believe that I say that - this deck rejected me outright and the book made me bristle - I swapped it for Kitty Kahane to show I don't care - but when I see that b/w edition... I feel that this deck and I still have some kind of future.

magicjack

I have received my Tarot of the Holy Light and have been working with it for at least a week if not longer. (it came pretty fast). Do I like it? I love it. Now I did not get the book but I am considering the app since it has a much better LWB. I actually like the changed meanings of some of the cards because I am somewhat familiar with Etellia meanings but to be honest I think this deck gives you the ability to use whatever meanings you choose. But I have a few issues I'm wondering about and I would like to know if any of you have noticed. My first problem is the cards are shifted more to the left than the right. ( Smaller border on left ). It's not really a problem and I'm probably being a little OCD about this. My second question is why does my 2 of Disks have 10 - 20 " when the rest are 11 - 20 " ? My third question is, is the number 9 missing on your Hermit card? I have emailed Christine and am waiting for a response. So if and when someone gets the time, I would appreciate if others have noticed any of these things. Anyway, I'm sure this deck isn't to everyone's liking but I love it.

ETA: I just got the app and the 2 of Disks is 1 - 20" . My card says 10 - 20". I think it should be 11 -20" like the rest of the 2s. (but the hermit does have a 9 on it in the app) but my card doesn't have a 9.

mrpants

Hi Jack, I have the first printing, now known as the first deluxe, and the app for iphone. Here's what I notice:

The images on my cards, and in the app, appear centered inside the white border. Not sure how the second deluxe is, consistently. I feel like this may be a printer's error, so yeah send Christine an email.

The text on my physical Hermit card is in black, and a little hard to see. there is a black number 9 as well, but it's even harder to see than the black text. In the app however, the text and number are in white, and are very easy to spot! I hadn't noticed that difference before! In my physical deck, the text on the cards in the Major Arcana are all in white, except for the Hermit, Wheel, and Judgement; these are all in black. Additionally, the text on the Magus and Emperor are in red. In the app version, the Magus is in black, and Emperor is in white, along with the Hermit and the Wheel. Weird!

My physical deck and app both list 2 of Disks as 1-20
°, but as I know almost nothing about astrology, I hadn't paid attention to this detail. The rest of the 2s in the app and my deck are listed as 11-20°. The physical book seems to correct this, and lists the 2 of Disks as 11-20°, as does the in-app text excerpt. Good eyes, on your part! I'm surprised very much that this deck is in its 4th edition now (the one you have), and she still hasn't corrected this apparent typo. It seems uncharacteristic. But as far as reading the deck goes, it shouldn't be too much of a hurdle.

Regardless of these quirky inconsistencies, I still immensely love this deck, and I'm glad you have found it and are enjoying it. If you ever participate in reading exchanges, I'd be down to swap with you. Just send a pm if you are interested, and we could maybe set something up!

magicjack

My Hermit card's title is in white. I thought maybe too that little thing in black may be a 9 but then my 9 would be white. I guess her book may explain the astrological associations? I have figured out the pattern myself starting with Aries (spring) separating the minors by their sign. The others I have no idea why for instance the Hermit is Leo. I'm not that concerned working with astrology when it comes to tarot but I am interested as to why things are the way they are. I don't always agree with the Golden Dawn's astrology either but I do see the reasons why (for the most part) the cards are associated with certain signs. Thanks. I still love this damn deck.

...Yea my text in the app does say 11 - 20". Thx for pointing that out