Sabian Symbols: Finding Elsie Wheeler

Elven

Hi All,

Just reporting in :)

Map of counties in Indiana:
http://www.mapsofworld.com/usa/states/indiana/indiana-county-map.html

Records locatable for an 'Elsie Wheeler' are:
These records aren't obtainable unless you pay for them - sorry!

82 matches in OneWorldTreeSM: Find your ancestors in our worldwide collection of family trees. Then use what you find in OneWorldTreeSM to easily create or expand your own family tree.

266 matches in US Census Collection: Search our complete collection of U.S. Census records from 1790 to 1930.

489 matches in US Records Collection: View the world’s largest online selection of birth, marriage, death and military records.

7 matches in US Immigration Collection: Discover your ancestors’ countries of origin and recreate their journeys to America.

596 matches in UK & Ireland Collection: Access census records from England and Wales, along with U.K. baptism, christening, marriage and burial records.

Cencus Birth records for an 'Elsie Wheeler' in Indiana., 1880-1920.

http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/...birth1880&gst=&rank=1&submit.x=91&submit.y=13

Unfortunately there are about 550 entries.Theres not much information here as the dates and full names are not all accessable unless you pay, but there are there and some interesting correlations. There is a definate Elsie Wheeler born on entry 200-250 but funnily enough its the only one with a spelling mistake - it says weller instead of wheeler (?). There are mothers with the name Elsie also - this might mean that the childs second name was Elsie. Its hard to know as I cant do a full search!! GRRRRR!

What I was looking for was a location - a county - that was close to White County in Illinois. There are some Elsie Wheelers born in counties which are just across the State border - Knox and Vigo.

Enough for me for tonight!

Hope everyone is well!:)

Many Blessings
Elven x

MCsea

Wheeler is like Smith

There are SO MANY Wheelers!!!

I cant beleive how close Norris City is to that other state, amazing..

I tried a little picture Ill see if it worked :) THANKS ELVEN

Marina

MCsea

Oh

Oh it worked!
I had a choice of 10 - anyway I am happy

Marina

Elven

This Quote is from the Sabian History Thread.

Elven said:
After Marc Edmund Jones and the clairvoyant Elsie Wheeler discovered the Sabian symbols, Jones placed in storage the cards on which they were recorded. He felt that making scientific use of the symbols in astrology might not be possible. At the time (the mid-1920s), Jones and others were involved in the scientific reorganization of astrology itself, and in various types of occult investigation.
It was these other interests that brought him into temporary partnership with Elsie Wheeler to obtain a new set of symbols for the degrees of the zodiac.

Lynda said:
I know from census records that she was in the Bethesda Hospital and Home for the Incurables from at least 1900 to 1920 as she was listed in the 1900, 1910 and 1920 census as being there. I love it that she was listed as being a 'spiritualist medium' in the 1920 census. Here she was, in a hospital for 'the incurable', and being a spiritualist medium. Quite something!

Hi All,

These two QUOTED posts made me wonder about Elsie Wheelers movements during the 1900's up until the time (1925) when in San Diego California, her and Marc Edmund Jones created the Symbols.

Reason being that San Diego is along way from Illinois, and Elsie Wheeler, being in a 'Home for the Incurable' in the 1920 Census, should move 1000's of miles away from where she was living within 5 years. (1920-1925)

This has brought up a few more questions for me:

The first one is obviously needed to be checked firstly
Where is Bethesda Hospital and Home for the Incurables located?

How did Marc Edmund Jones and Elsie Wheeler become associated? Where did they meet and when? (The article says it was a temporary partnership.)

When/How/Why did Elsie Wheeler leave the Hospital?

Nothing like starting the search in the middle! (LOL). Off to do some more searching. If anyone can answer these questions or have any ideas on this please post! :)

Many Blessings
Elven x

Elven

Hi All,
From this article from Lynda (which is also posted in the Sabian History thread), and a look through the hospitals thread I found that Elsie Wheeler was located in Missouri.

Bethesda Home for Incurables (historical) is a hospital in St. Louis (city) County, Missouri.

Elsies natal chart is here:
http://www.astrologyweekly.com/natal-charts/elsie-wheeler.php

Elsie Wheeler biography There is little known about Elsie Wheeler, the psychic, whom Marc Edmund Jones worked with to bring forth the Sabian Symbols. We know that she was crippled with arthritis and have been in a wheelchair since she was 3 years old.

In the 1920 Census, Elsie is listed as being at the Bethesda Hospital and Home for the Incurables in St. Louis, Missouri. She moved to San Diego some time in the early 1920's, living with her uncle Frank W. Baxter in India Street, Washington Street and Market Street at various times. In the 1930 Census, Frank was listed as being a barber and Elsie a spiritualist medium.

She spent many of her days at the San Diego Indoor Sports club, which is located in the beautiful Mission Hills district. There she would seek to encourage a handicapped friend, who was not as bad off as herself. But she always said, "Don't give up -- there's lots to live for."

While she gave psychic readings she did not feel fulfilled responding to the ordinary questions of love, money, and health. She wanted to 'do something of enduring worth'.

Elsie enrolled in Marc Edmund Jones' classes and in 1925 Marc took her to Balboa Park in San Diego to bring forth the Sabian Symbols. This is her legacy that she left to the world.

Elsie never married, nor had any children. She died at the age of 51 in San Diego on the 26th November 1938.

The beauty and grace with which she lived her life is enhanced by the gift she has given to the world. Indeed, as Ralph Waldo Emerson said "To finish the moment, to find the journey's end in every step of the road, to live the greatest number of good hours, is wisdom".

Information from: Lynda Hill, Australia.

Blessings
Elven x

Lynda

Hey Guys
Thanks for putting in so much work in finding Elsie and apologies for being AWOL - I've been very busy! From the following, it appears that Elsie arrived in San Diego in 1924 - one year before the Sabian Symbols were 'given birth'.

It should be noted that Marc Edmund Jones was from St. Louis, Missouri.

Here's a piece that I wrote up some time ago on Elsie:

Elsie May Wheeler - The spiritualist medium with a gift to the world

”The universe is the bride of the soul.” Ralph Waldo Emerson*

Elsie Wheeler was born Elsie May Wheeler on September 3, 1887 at 9.39 pm in Norris City, Illinois. Not a great deal is known about her life, but the legacy she left behind lives on through the gift that is the Sabian Symbols. Severely afflicted with arthritis, apparently she spent her entire life in a wheelchair.
Even though her birthday Sabian Symbol is Virgo 12: A Bride With Her Veil Snatched Away, Elsie never married nor had children. It seems she may have been "wedded" to a higher spiritual purpose. Her "Veil" seems to be firmly in place as not much has been recorded or written about her.

In the 1920 Census, Elsie is listed as being at the Bethesda Hospital and Home for the Incurables in St. Louis, Missouri. She moved to San Diego some time early in the 1920's, living with her uncle Frank W. Baxter in India Street, Washington and Market Street at various times. In the 1930 Census, Frank was listed as being a barber and Elsie as a spiritualist medium.

She spent many of her latter days at the San Diego Indoor Sports club, which is located in the beautiful Mission Hills district. It has been in existence since the early 1900's and is still operating today. It was described as “providing social mixing for people with disabilities.”

The following article appeared in the San Diego Union newspaper on March 16, 1938 edition; page 4 column 2.

S.D. SHUT-IN GETS AIR TRIP TO ST. LOUIS; TO SEE OLD FRIENDS

Perhaps the happiest young woman in San Diego is Elsie Wheeler, shut-in since she was three. That is, if she still is in town. The guest of Lester Prosser, New York, she and her nurse, Mrs. Pearl Calpin, were to take off from Lindbergh field early today for St. Louis. Piloting his own plane, Prosser expected to fly to El Paso for tonight and proceed to St. Louis tomorrow morning.

"I have seven hours in the air already," Miss Wheeler said last night. "I can't walk - but to fly above the clouds and see the sun shining makes me realize more than anything else who good God is.

"When I had two trips to Glendale last year, I started an air log. What an entry I'll have for it now!"

St. Louis is Miss Wheeler's old home. She will be the guest there of a long-time friend, Mrs. H.W. Faber, and will visit relatives and other friends, especially those who also are shut-ins and were her companions in the long period she spent in a hospital in that city.

Coming to San Diego 14 years ago, Miss Wheeler joined the Indoor Sports Club and is one of its most enthusiastic members. When Mr. and Mrs Prosser heard that this cheerful, handicapped young woman was an aviation enthusiast, they planned to have her make the trip next time Prosser's business called him east. To make everything perfect for their guest, Mrs. Prosser spent yesterday shopping. Purchases included a spring wardrobe for Miss Wheeler.”

Eight months later, the following was published in the San Diego Union newspaper on Nov. 27, 1938 - page 10 column 2.

MISS ELSIE WHEELER LIVED IN WHEELCHAIR
... smiled through years of affliction.
Elsie Wheeler Passes at 51
by FOREST WAREN

Although confined to a wheelchair all her life, Miss Elsie Wheeler, 51, who died in a local hospital yesterday, had a beaten path to her door, made by men and women in all walks, who sought her advice, and particularly her perpetual smile. She was an ordained minister in the Spiritual faith.

Elsie Wheeler's death cast a gloom over many hundreds of men, women and children, who knew her intimately. She was known best in the Indoor Sports club and there she moved about in her little wheelchair, spreading sunshine among other handicapped persons. Often she would seek to encourage a handicapped friend, who was not as bad off as herself. But she always said, "Don't give up -- there's lots to live for."

HANDS AFFLICTED
This heroic woman's hands were so badly afflicted with arthritis she could not shake hands with those who adored her. In making the rounds at Indoor Sports social affairs to greet members, I always touched her hand. I felt better for having touched her twisted hand; it was like mending something through my body and into my heart. She was just that type of person.

At Elsie's cottage, 130 Washington St., bankers, lawyers and even the lonely gardener come to see her about their problems. Many were downhearted. They were seeking a way to see a brighter side of life. Elsie, sitting in her wheelchair, smilingly pointed the way. Many profited from her advice and counsel.

TOOK PLANE TRIP

A year ago, Elsie decided to take a long plane trip -- back to St. Louis and her native town, Norris City, Ill. It was a big undertaking but she knew she would meet new friends along the way who would help her if she needed help. She was gone several weeks. Her fellow shut-ins rejoiced with her because she had such a wonderful trip.

Josephine Anderson, president of the local Indoor Sports club, said that her personal grief was softened because her dear friend Elsie told the doctor and nurses she wanted to go, as her sudden and unexpected attack was more than she could bear.

She died at the age of 51 in San Diego on the 26th November 1938.
At the time of her death, her progressed Sun was at Scorpio 2: A Broken Bottle and Spilled Perfume… she could stand the pain no longer and she left her physical body.

The beauty and grace with which she lived her life is enhanced by the gift she has given to the world. Indeed, as Ralph Waldo Emerson said "To finish the moment, to find the journey's end in every step of the road, to live the greatest number of good hours, is wisdom".

*Thanks to Paul Newman for linking this quote to Elsie Wheeler.

There was a photograph of her attached to the top newspaper story, but alas(!), it was completely black on the microfische (sp?)

The search goes on...
Thanks for your enthusiasm... it seems that Elven and I are up and at it, even though it's the middle of the night here in Sydney, Australia!

Lynda

Elven

What an absolutely wonderful article Lynda, and what a kind man to take Elsie on the plane.

Now to freak you out - not that I could really - get this!
..before looking at this post, I am wondering about Elsie and her life. I have your very first little printed book open in front of me. The Symbols are about 7 lines long and about 4 symbols to a page.
Guess what page I am on. (Lynda, if you have the book - take a look)

Gemini 5; A RADICAL MAGAZINE DISPLAYS A SENSATIONAL FRONT PAGE.

Gemini 10; AEROPLANE, AFTER A NOSE DIVE, RIGHTS ITSELF GRACEFULLY.

Gemini 11; NEWLY OPENED LANDS OFFER VIRGIN REALMS OF EXPERIENCE.

Wonderful!!

I was looking at the book at the time because after reading so much about where Elsie grew up and the many things that were going on in that time in America - the Symbols I thought - reflected Elsie life. I feel that the Symbols are Elsie Wheelers life. I also feel her story is in the Symbols. And then to read your article and the pages I was on! Sheesh!

Long shot I know - but I think the answers lie in there some how. This leads me to believe that Elsie did much travelling and changing homes in her early life. She may also have been on a ship at a very young age, or maybe her mother was from England or elsewhere as there were many migrants coming into Illinois and Indiana at the time.
Two other things I will check is Chicargo and New York. I had a dream about them.

Great post Lynda - thankyou so much! How is it that the microfish was black. She remains beneath the 'veil' still.

Many Blessings
Elven x
:)

Lynda

Amazing Symbols... they just never fail to be right on target.

I believe Elsie's parents were both born in New York as that was written on the Census - I think it was the 1920 one.

BTW, I have an account at Ancestry.com, that's how I found out the stuff I've found. I will PM you later with the password - don't have it immediately to hand - and you'll be able to go in there and research it. I have a lot on my plate right now and can't dedicate any time to it...

Greetings from Avalon
Lynda
P.S. Did you see the snow in the Blue Mountains yesterday? I would have *loved* to have been there!!

Elven

Lynda - thats awesome! Ive been on ancestory.com and have found quite a bit of stuff which Ive recoreded but I cant get access to. On the census forms there is a space provided for disabilities etc. - and there was an Elsie Wheeler who was registered about her time but I was unable to search further. I still have the details though!

Ive been searching for a picture of Bethesda Home for the Incurables! My eyes have gone funny! Got to give it a break for tonight. :)

The snow was beautiful! I took a couple of pictures. My car was covered in snow! The city looks beautiful in a white blanket!

Many Blessings
Elven x

Elven

Just popping in a easy reference website for Marc Edmund Jones which contains some dates, times, and information on his life not a great deal on Elsie Wheeler, but she is mentioed.

It is titled A Photo Essay of the Life and work of Dr Mark Edmund Jones by Diana E Roach.

http://www.sabian.org/mej.htm

Blessings
Elven x