The Devil, in a relationship spread

Crystelle

thanks Helvetica! I wasn't sure how to put it but you had my thoughts exactly!

Red Emma

The (control freak) Devil!

Sorry, both Crystelle and Helvetica, but I must seriously disagree with you.

There is no more dangerous card in Tarot than The Devil, no more dangerous lover/friend, than anyone Tarot characterizes as the Devil.

Passionate, maybe. Passionate about controlling their kith and kin to the extent of physical and emotional abuse whenever they feel their control slipping.

They're even more dangerous to the children of their lovers, both because these children receive the same physical-emotional abuse as their mothers, but also because they learn that this abuse is a legitimate way of dealing with wives, mothers, children. It, for the children, becomes a normal way of life.

Do not walk to the nearest exit. Run for your life!!!!!

brenmck

Reading for Self?

I was curious, and I don't think you said, but was this a reading done for you or one you did for yourself? Relationship self-readings are tricky for me - I always wonder if the cards are speaking to what I really asked (as in unconsciously) or what I thought I asked. Are my fears or anxieties tainting anything, or am I projecting my wishes on the reading? I don't know if anybody agrees with me, but the cards can be tricky and downright playful at times. Really interesting thread, by the way. :)

~B~

tieduptinkerbell

Devil's in the details...

finn said:
I was wondering what The Devil (upright) would mean in the position of "expected outcome" in a relationship spread. does it mean free from being clamped down or what? thanks.
It could mean a decision...
In the Tarot de Paris, it is called Energy...and of course the Devil card always reduces to the VI, The lovers card. But this does not mean its about a person or sex or evil.
It means that the relationship is going to have a lot of high energy, and if one is not careful they may make a choice or do something they may later regret. NOT always the whole relationship or a person...

It could be that they jump in too soon. It could mean that the other person has a devil on their shoulder that could need to be dealt with. It might mean there will be temptation to run away from it cause the energy is so intense. The Lovers card is not always about physical love...in fact it is often about Karmic or cosmic love. It is about testing and discovering the depth of our love or our relationships.
A lot of it depends on the cards around it. Alot of it depends on the person it is describing.
The DeVinci Enigma calls it pleasure and pain...maybe He will bring out the hidden "freak" in you...giggles..."baby get your freak on" Maybe he will show you how to keep the energy in your relationship...
Many Devil cards have the symbol of the sign it falls under...Capricorn ...it might have a goat or horns on it...it is representitive of Pan who is the God of excess...Maybe He will be a whirlwind love affair and spoil you rotten...then you will have to come back to reality...
Maybe you are being held in fear or guilt of letting go and going forward and it again will be a decision to make...

SOOOO MANY THINGS

My best suggestion...lay another card...get some clarification...sometimes the answer...the outcome is not as simple as one card...sometimes it takes a couple to really understand the full meal deal

love
B

tieduptinkerbell

Also

someone said earlier he is the father of lies...

well he was also created to be a musical instrument...and that was not stripped from him when he fell.

So...it could be that He will be a creative genious and make a million dollars with his ability to predict the market and sell his c.d. at just the right time.

as i said before soooooooo many things

B

AliceinDeathland

Thanks everyone

Sophie

Red Emma said:
Sorry, both Crystelle and Helvetica, but I must seriously disagree with you.

There is no more dangerous card in Tarot than The Devil, no more dangerous lover/friend, than anyone Tarot characterizes as the Devil.
Excuse me, Red Emma, but that is exactly the kind of scare-mongering that had us all in thrall to Christian manipulators for all these past centuries. No-one is saying the Devil is not dangerous. But run for your life?? He is also master of the material and the physical, without which humans simply don't exist, far less reproduce.

Now, if you remember the question asked by Alice - it was: "resolve any differences and how you can improve the relationship and take it to the next level". That implies that the card drawn will be helpful, and that we should look at the positive aspect of it. Well, one positive aspect of the Devil is - more body, less mind. The Devil is also the principle that broke down the taboos that held us in chains for all these centuries, that allowed women of the 60s to become sexually liberated so that my generation and the one after me need not worry about being fallen women for following our natural sexual urges.

Never forgetting that the Devil is dangerous and that we can become addicted to his highs, and therefore we need to tap his freedom & autonomy-loving side.

And even if we take the Devil card only in his uni-dimensional "bongdage" meaning, why assume it's the fellow in a reading who is the Devil? That's a form of gut reaction man-hating. It can just as easily be the bondage created by our own minds by worry and control.

Ambience

I get the devil now and again..

I feel in a relationship it could be to do with dependance on the other person. Don't know why, does anyone else feel this. Also get feel it could symbolize violence in the relationship. This is a standard meaning anyway, but the dependancy thing. Does anyone else think this?

Thanks,
Love & Light , Janey x

Al Si'ra

Poor Devil card..It got so many negative responses..
I have both negative and positive experiences with this card...As all the cards include positive and negative within i just can't accept that this card is only negative..BUT i had a terrible terribble day a few days ago which was represented by the Devil-everything went teribbly wrong...and a very physical-intense-out of control relationship which went nowhere in the end..But i also got this card for a wonderful 3.5 yr relationship in the past..we were dependent to eachother YET it also meant strong bonds...very strong bonds which can sometimes be very good for the relationships..the relationship was like "unbreakable"..And it was good..depends on what you are looking for in a relationship..
I like intense-physical-high energy relationships so when i see this card i can't help but feel "good"..cards do have thousand meanings and can represent themselves in the least way you expect them..

Today i did a new year relationship mini reading and got the devil..along with 10 of pents and 9 of pents...It's all related to material-security-enjoying physical things as you can all see... and i am excited about it.. :D
But i am not missing the fact that devil also could mean choices..as it can be reduced to lovers..

Red Emma

The Devil's due

Okay, I see what you're all getting at. There are more facets to this kind of energy than I have here-to-fore understood.

Having seen so many extremely destructive control freaks in my own life and in the lives of other women, I want nothing to do with anything tinged with that kind of energy. It is exceedingly dangerous. On that statement, I stand pat. And would run run for my life if I'm ever again confronted with such.

But, Helvetica, I don't understand the man-hating phrase. I do hate men, and women, with this twist to their personality. They harm all they touch.
Why, from that statement, do you infer that I hate all men?

I wonder if it could be another trigger phrase, similar to politically correct? When these phrases are used, the person they're used against immediately backs out of the arguement. It's unpopular to be seen as being either a man-hater or a person who's politically correct. Actually there are times when, in
specific instances, both are the best path to follow.