relationship between cards and questions asked...

Lindz

From my experience (though limited) I've learned that it's more than a coincidence. I mean, it's on the dot most of time, and if it isn't, it's usually because I asked a bad question.

I just got out of a breakup recently. Before we broke up I asked about if we should break up or not (answer was primarily yes) and I got 3 Swords upright and 4 Cups reversed, which meant when we break up, I'll be sorely heartbroken but I'll find someone new. The next morning I asked again if there was anything I could do to save the realtionship. The answer was no, and I got those same two cards even though I had shuffled pretty thourghly.

I don't know what it is, but it just works. I mean yeah I guess you could apply a lot of the cards to one situation, but somehow you manage to pick out just the right one that answers your question the best. And it seems to happen nearly all the time. Hmmm.

I mean, believe in what you want, I just wanted to share my opinion.

mythos

Picture this: Philosophy class, Theories of the Universe. We looked at cosmological theories from Mesopotamia to the present. I was often dogged in my early morning waking moments by questions like ... how do we know that the theory we currently use to describe (attribute meaning) to the physics of the Universe is correct? After all, the Eygptian one wasn't, nor the Mesopotamian, nor Copernicus, and even though Kepler did propose elliptical orbits, Newton came along and trumped him, and then we got to Einstein and so on an so forth.

We still talk in Ptolmaic terms about the sun rising in the east and setting in the west. This is based on the idea that the sun moves around the earth and not vice versa. Does it affect us, that we still talk in these terms and it is wrong? ... no! Does it matter whether any given theory is right or not ... equally 'No!' Why? because if it works for us it matters, if it doesn't, it doesn't matter.

So, the fact that for 1000's of years people believed that the Sun and Moon were gods, or that the Earth was the centre of the universe is truly irrelevant, what mattered was things like knowing when to plant crops, knowing when the Nile would flood to leave a bed of rich silt for planting. The theory behind it is not important.

Now ... she finally gets to tarot ... I spent ages aching over the same question .... finally I realised that it doesn't actually matter. Cynthia Giles in her The Tarot: History, Mystery and Lore, does a nice job of exploring a few, and she is definitely worth the read. But, in the end what matters is whether the tarot works. It does ... not always, because I am not always hooked into whatever it is within me/ outside of me, (whatever) for it to work.

I often experience periods of doubt and then the girl in the local Pharmacy will beg me for a reading, for example. I say ... grudgingly ... okay ... drive my Campervan up to the shopping centre for when she finishes work. (My house is too messy to invite any one in!). She climbs in the back. Mythos has done the things she, the sitter, needs ... spread the cloth, lit the incense and the candle, scattered a couple of crystals around. She just wants a general reading. No clues for me to work off. I know nothing about her.

I lay out the cards, see the 5 of cups (RWS) in the 'situation under question' position, and out of my mouth ... before I have thought about, it comes the words, "Have you just broken up with someone?" Her answer is 'yes', tears flow, mythos hands her the tissues ... I am as amazed as her, and what is more important, from the perspective of your question is that the reading flows.

Why does it work ... Hell, I don't know ... but it does!

mythos:)