Rider Waite Tarot Deck: Deluxe Edition

jackdaw*

I just got mine today, jerzy, and it's the same edition. I did find the colours to be somehow brighter than the standard USG version. But I don't agree about the detail or precision of the artwork. I find it just as good. At least so far.

My biggest selling point for this deck is the feel of it. The gilt gives the edges a smooth feel, and the finish is lovely and worn smooth. Not like the horrible clumpy laminate on my standard version.

atlantean

Is there anywhere online where one can get older U.S. Games RWS decks (other than ebay ;))?

By "older" I mean those printed before these latest ones printed in Italy with regular fonts.

atlantean

jerzy said:
Has anyone ever come across this deck recently? It's been out of print from US Games Systems for about 5 years and I'm desperately tryining to get hold of one for just as long.

It comes in a purple box with a small picture of the Magician on the front, and the cards themselves are beautiful to look at with the colour and detail, and they have golden gilt edges.

If anyone comes across a deck (or two...I know someone else who'd like one), could they PM me please.

There's an on-going auction on ebay right now for a RWS Deluxe. It seems to be in mint condition:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...MEWA:IT&viewitem=&item=140043417260&rd=1&rd=1

Le Fanu

I bought this deck listed as the deluxe but it doesn't seem to be the one described in the above posts. First impressions made me think that this is just the standard Original RWS which somebody has gilded at the edges, but the box looks real enough.

Can anyone vouch for this one?

Attachments

• deLuxe.jpg
    deLuxe.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 623

Marirowana

I bought this deck listed as the deluxe but it doesn't seem to be the one described in the above posts. First impressions made me think that this is just the standard Original RWS which somebody has gilded at the edges, but the box looks real enough.

I'm no expert, but to me it looks indeed like the Original Rider Waite, in a different box.

gregory

I have one just like that. USG as publisher. So you aren't alone - mine actually came from an ANTIQUE SELLER on ebay, way back in 2007.

And look here:

http://www.tarokki.fi/tarotpuu/2009/03/10/rws-collection-update/ - though mine has the roses and lilies backs.
I think.
I can't find it just now (I have a lot going on in that room !)

I don't think an ordinary person could have gilded as well as mine is gilded. I think it's kosher. :)

Le Fanu

You see gregory, that link has the Deluxe RWS with different backs (not rose & lilly), though the box looks the same. The same backs in fact as that German centenary edition in the wooden box (which I also have).

Can you check your backs, gregory (or anyone else), if the deck is at hand?

gregory

You see gregory, that link has the Deluxe RWS with different backs (not rose & lilly), though the box looks the same. The same backs in fact as that German centenary edition in the wooden box (which I also have).

Can you check your backs, gregory (or anyone else), if the deck is at hand?
I will do - but because it is one of those I put in an individual wooden box (rather than filed in a drawer - easy to find) and shelf building is in progress, all those boxes are in a big plastic box (no worries, no lid !) - and as we are clearing my mother's house this weekend - well, laters, lovely. I do take your point...

avalonian

Hi Le Fanu,

I bought mine sometime between 1999 and 2001, and it does have the Roses & Lilies backs. It is definitely genuine as it was bought new from a reputable shop.

I have just compared some of the cards to my Original Rider Waite (Printed in Belgium) and I can see no real difference between the cards other than an extremely slight difference in colour tone which could very well be due to the fact that the ordinary one has seen use and daylight more than the deluxe version.

So, for what it is worth, I see no reason at all to doubt that yours is genuine, at the end of the day, the deluxe version is basically an Original Rider Waite, printed in Belgium, which has been gilded at the edges and put in a posh box (and no less delightful for that).

:) :) :)

gregory

That's great, avalonian - I REALLY don't have the time to shift everything just now :) but I may indeed not be insane.

Today. :D