Pixie's Dress

The crowned one

Green was my first thought, the trim would be contrasting.

roppo

This PCS photo as an Annancy teller first appeared in 1904 on the magazine The Lamp and the accompanying story said - -

"These tales were learned by Miss Smith from her nurse during the years of her residence as a child in Jamaica, and her retension of the dialect gives her a particular advantage in this kind of recitation. At the moment her "turn" is announced, a man-servant brings in a folding board about four feet long and places it upon the floor. Miss Smith, dressed in a brilliant orange gown with a red turban, sits tailor-fashion upon the board, while before her are arranged two candles to serve as footlights."

Of course it's very difficult to guess the color from B&W photo, but I'd like to say it's orange.

Teheuti

Wow! I would never have guessed orange! Thank you, roppo.

Cerulean

Of course the flame of the rose

could be reddish in hue and light of yellows could reflect true as white.

Yes, I think Robert Place painted a version of her picture. Scroll down...

http://thealchemicalegg.com/Astro-Divination.html

He chose green, which I would have, had I not read Roppo's information.

Maybe we should do a fun contest in 'tarot deck' creation or somewhere of doing our own color rendition of Pixie's dress...(I like that old picture from the Lamp of her in the 'kimono', for instance. )

Goldenweb, that question of yours was a wonderful inspiration of a thread-starter and a whole series of 'colorization' thoughts...

Hope the ideas this starts lives on in creative explorations!

Cheers!

Cerulean

P.S. If she was wearing a "Japaneseque" or "Asian" orange, the very young (I mean 5-7-9), sometimes would have worn a gorgeous flaming orange that reminds one of blushing persimmons, of scarlet roses, the deepest glow of the sunrise or the last breath of the sunset. I like to think of PCS wearing such a color and 'relishing' in telling her tales!

KariRoad

bluest of blue

Mr. John Yeats mentions this event in a letter
http://pcs2051.tripod.com/index.htm
(dated 1899) written to his son, W. B. Yeats:

"Her dressing is not a decorative success. The bluest of blue dresses, you feel disposed to call it scarlet, blue seems in this connection such a mild word. She sits as above--the hat is straw, with great black cork feathers sticking up out of it. She looks exactly like a Japanese. Nannie says this Japanese appearance comes from constantly drinking iced water."

I've grown accustomed to drinking beverages at what might be termed room temperature, and actually disdain adding ice to casual drinks.

But it's easy to appreciate how a few "ice cubes" could enhance the London aqua vitae, circa 1899.

jcwirish

I'm thinking green with black appliques.

Pen

Amazing replies and links - thanks all!

She seems to be wearing a little hat made of feathers - Robert Place either overlooked it or chose to disregard it in his digital painting. I'm wondering if it could give a clue as to the colour of her dress, because from what I know of antique feather hats the feathers are unlikely to be blue (due to rarity), and are too dark for yellow, pink, cream etc.

In the UK the most common feathers used for hats were (I think!) pheasant feathers, which were shades of brown/orange, and striped, spotted and patterned in a variety of ways, depending on where on the pheasant they came from and whether the bird was male or female.

There's a similar smaller one to Pamela's headpiece (except for the patterned feathers!) Here, but a search is interesting too.

I'm pretty sure that the lacy (beaded?) appliques would have been black.

I mention the hat because (especially) as an artist she'd be aware of the importance of colours, even if she chose not to harmonize/co-ordinate. And of course she was a natural Bohemian...:)

And then there's that letter re. her dress sense - deeper and deeper we go...

Pen

linnie

As soon as I looked at it, I saw... no... I thought... RUST! A beautiful light, glowing rust... It couldn't be a darker tone of rust or it would be greyer in the photo...

Definitely a brilliant Rust colour... :)

Pen

Rust would go with the pheasant feathers - if they were...

Does anyone know who owns the copyright of this photo? Stuart Kaplan perhaps? It's very widespread on the Internet. Logically, it's the property of the photographer - does anyone know who that is?

Sorry for all the questions...!

Pen

And if some of those beads were amber, as was very popular then...

Pen

Cerulean said:
Hope the ideas this starts lives on in creative explorations!

Cheers!

Cerulean

I've been working on something for a few days now, hence the post...:)

More later (hopefully).

And I'm beginning to think that orange is good...

Pen