RWS 8 Swords - mud bath or sandy shore?

Teheuti

roppo said:
I believe the card shows scene of the Mont Saint-Michel of Normady, or St Michael's Mount of Cornwall. The woman in the card is left bound and hoddwinked in low tide shore. She would be surely drowned in high tide, which means she is a sort of sacrifice or something to that effect. Andromeda?
Really interesting ideas. Thanks, Roppo.

Teheuti

The cable-tow and blindfold have been seen by many as obvious references to Masonic ritual: In Masonic initiation, the candidate ‘has not eyes to see in the light of the secret knowledge. He is hoodwinked without because he is blind within.’

It turns out the sea may also be a reference to this:

From the Oath of Obligation - Entered Apprentice/First Degree"
".. binding myself under no less penalty that of having throat cut from ear to ear, my tongue torn out by its roots, and my body buried in the rough sands of the sea, a cable length from the shore where the tide regularly ebbs and flows twice in twenty-four hours."
Added: This may also refer to the 2 of Swords, but the next piece is particular to the 8.

Also, the murderers of Hiram Abif attempted to escape by sea (6 of Swords), they evaded capture (7 of Swords), and were "found, seized and bound" (8 of Swords). As I've lectured about at various tarot conferences, the Suit of Swords illustrates the Hiram Abif story as told in the Master Mason Ritual.

Cara Jackson

Teheuti, all good stuff

All good stuff, all good stuff, thanks Cara