Regular RWS Readers: What Is Your Favorite Version?

Carla

So what is it about El Tarot Universal de Waite that is better than Radiant? Because I just ordered a Radiant so I could crop it down to no-borders no-titles. :)

rachelcat

I like the Universal Waite Pocket because it has the best box, which looks fab with a yellow hair band around it! :)

And I like the Radiant. It's just brightly colored enough (without being University Books garish).

I really don't like the colors of the "Original." I'm pretty sure the WHOLE DECK shouldn't be tealy green . . .

I thought the faux aging of the PCS would bug me, but it's actually quite nice in person.

Frayling0

Universal Waite for me.. the colours are just right for clarification.

Richard

The Universal Waite is very beautiful, and I like the faces better than those of the Radiant, but it lacks a certain 'snap' or incisiveness that I favor. I always return to the standard Rider-Waite or its less conservative sibling, the Albano-Waite.

Annabelle

We have a nicely broken-in copy of the 1971 copyright version of the USG published RWS. It is "the" reading copy both of us (my husband and I) both turn to when we want to use a RWS deck. In fact, it's the only deck he will read with. All the rest (of my 500+ deck collection) are pretty much just interesting art for him, not reading decks.

It's just . . . sweet. A pleasure to hold and to shuffle. Comfortable.

All that said, I'd by lying if I said I was a "regular RWS reader." More typically, I turn to the Legacy of the Divine for readings.

lasciel

I have a soft spot for the original, because they're the first deck I picked up! :D though I'd really like a set of the centennial, because it looks like a lovely deck and I like the ageing.

NikkiB

I like the golden, had a reading with it from a professional and loved how soft and errr gold it was lol!

Emily

The Centennial Edition is fast turning into my favourite RWS. I like the colouring of this version, and for some reason the black outlining seems to make the artwork stand out. I've never been much for the RWS but I've really took to the Centennial. The cardstock feels really nice too. :)

jackdaw*

I like the Universal Waite and the Albano. The mini Albano is my favourite deck, in fact. The Lo Scarabeo centenary edition is nice too, even with removing the nice calligraphic titles. The Golden Rider is lovely but for the almost cartoony finer details like facial features.

Not a fan of artificial aging like the PCS (and I really dislike that deck's back), or the green Priestess of the "Original". LS did a better job, IMO, of "reproducing" the deck. And I loathe the Radiant.

I am still keeping an eye out for a blue box Rider & Co version, though!

publius

For a long time, my favorite has been my made in Belgium Original Rider Waite.

These days, I tend to prefer the PCS commemorative set. I find the coloring better than the original.